SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2018, 07:56 AM   #1
Pizzadelivery
Pizzadelivery is on a distinguished road

Default Idle problems!

Hey everyone im new to the forum even though the last 2 weeks ive been lurking and reading. Finally joined as a home mechanic i am stumped. I deliver pizza and have to work on my own. Also i only buyuy pre 06 cars. I bought a 2000 sl1 which i hate compared to my last delivery car a 91 Acura with the b1a non vtec, it had 348k miles and finally died. Great on gas and 140hp loved it. I have a 92 gsr too. Only 3118 made of those and i dont want resort to using my collectible car with the 1st ever vtec in america the b17. So far i hate this Saturn. First thing i did was intake manifold gasket took me 2hrs. Then tps and plugs and wires. The car is still hard starting and gets an intermittent high idle. When i quickly turn the car off and back on the high idle goes away for maybe 2 to 3mins and then i repeat. Thought tps but didn't work. When i first got it it had constant high idle but the gasket fixed that. The tps was changed but SEL is still on. The codes pre filter were tps and misfire. The car also takes 2 or 3 tries to start but always starts. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Pizzadelivery; 05-16-2018 at 08:02 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pizzadelivery's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pizzadelivery reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pizzadelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2018, 11:08 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Idle problems!

Remove and replace the factory round nosed coolant sensor. The replacement is a flat nosed brass one. When it fails, the engine; runs rich all the time, shifts erratically, sometimes flood on startups, uses more fuel than normal, ruins the thermostat by letting the engine overheat and more. It's next to the egr valve, connected to a two wire connector that may be fouled from leaking coolant. If fouled, the connector should be replaced too. If the temperature gauge needle hovers over the 1/4 mark, replace the t-stat. Many threads about these two issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:15 AM   #3
Pizzadelivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Remove and replace the factory round nosed coolant sensor. The replacement is a flat nosed brass one. When it fails, the engine; runs rich all the time, shifts erratically, sometimes flood on startups, uses more fuel than normal, ruins the thermostat by letting the engine overheat and more. It's next to the egr valve, connected to a two wire connector that may be fouled from leaking coolant. If fouled, the connector should be replaced too. If the temperature gauge needle hovers over the 1/4 mark, replace the t-stat. Many threads about these two issues.
Yes there are a lot and ive read them thus the gasket and tps. Thought the coolant sensor was for the starting issue didnt know it also messed with idle. Anyway thanks. I got the coolant sensor and will replace after work. Its the flat brass one. But update is this the SEL went out and now every 5 mins while driving i get the High idle at 2k i shut off the engine by turning the key off and on quickly and idle goes nornal for another 1 to 5 mins then repeat. I have to put up with it for today and hopefully the coolant sensor fixes the issue. Ill keep you updated as i really need to get it fixed so i can make good time at work and make good money and feed the kids! So thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Pizzadelivery reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-17-2018, 10:51 AM   #4
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

I'd now suspect the replacement TPS. Classic, high idle, shut off ignition, restart and normal idle returns.....where did the replacement TPS come from?
New at autoparts store/Rockauto, or used??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:16 AM   #5
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

If you bought the TPS or any electronics components at the autoparts store you'll find they work best in the trash. Spend the $30 for the A/C Delco TPS.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:29 PM   #6
Pizzadelivery

I got it at hovis it cost 40. I cant remember the brand but i can find out they have my reciept on file. They had to order it. They are a pretty reputable place. Ill change the coolant temo sensor then see what happens. If it doesn't work ill try another tps

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-19-2018, 10:28 PM   #7
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

Pizzadeliver-

Monitor your engine Oil level Very Closely..... Maintain at the Upper Fill line on dipstick. Use "Full Synthetic" oil only.

If your has auto trans, shift/drive carefully, renew trans oil filter
-- Wix/NAPA spin-on filter element only!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:22 AM   #8
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of light

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

Pizza, please read the thread below when you have some time. I've worked on 90's era Honda engines and they're just as easy, if not, easier than the Saturn 1.9L. They have their quirks too. With Saturn, at least you're not going to have to worry about your rear rocker panels rusting out.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=177672

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:42 AM   #9
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzadelivery View Post
Hey everyone im new to the forum even though the last 2 weeks ive been lurking and reading. Finally joined as a home mechanic i am stumped. I deliver pizza and have to work on my own. Also i only buyuy pre 06 cars. I bought a 2000 sl1 which i hate compared to my last delivery car a 91 Acura with the b1a non vtec, it had 348k miles and finally died. Great on gas and 140hp loved it. I have a 92 gsr too. Only 3118 made of those and i dont want resort to using my collectible car with the 1st ever vtec in america the b17.
"V-TEC": Because sometimes you need a catchy name to cover up that your engine doesn't make any power until after 5,000rpms.....

Quote:
So far i hate this Saturn. First thing i did was intake manifold gasket took me 2hrs. Then tps and plugs and wires. The car is still hard starting and gets an intermittent high idle. When i quickly turn the car off and back on the high idle goes away for maybe 2 to 3mins and then i repeat. Thought tps but didn't work. When i first got it it had constant high idle but the gasket fixed that. The tps was changed but SEL is still on. The codes pre filter were tps and misfire. The car also takes 2 or 3 tries to start but always starts. Any suggestions?
Your replacement TPS is trash. This is a common failure, with aftermarket TPS units.

www.car-part.com

Get a used Throttle Body from a local yard and pull the TPS off, and swap out. Get your money back on the new one you bought.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:13 AM   #10
Pizzadelivery

Hey it fixed. The tps was actually fine. They gave me new bolts with it and that was the problem. The bolts were 1.5 in longer than the og. The top one was very snug but the bottom 1 even though as tight as it could go was still a few mil from being tight and against the tps itself and i didnt notice until i rechecked it. I took the tps off and use the og bolts from the old tps. Works fine. Thanks everyone. I didnt have time to do the coolant sensor so it is still taking 2 0r 3 tries to start.

Last edited by Pizzadelivery; 05-22-2018 at 10:21 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!