SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2018, 10:34 PM   #1
Zeebins
Zeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2
Default Took a gamble, bought a tech2 clone (Tech2Win)

About a week ago I added a cruise to my car but I needed the computer to be programed so it would actually work. I went to one chevy dealer that claimed they could do it but ended up not being able to. I then called 5 others in the area and none of them where able to (or wanted to) turn on cruise either.

I saw that Kaervak recently bought a Tech2 clone that looked liked it fully worked as a real Tech2. $300 is a little steep of a price to pay though for something I may only ever use for turning on cruise control. I did some searching around for some cheaper alternatives and I came across this on the Corvette forms, A Tech2Win adapter. It's essentially the software of a tech 2 running on a windows computer and connects to the car through either a USB or wi-fi adapter. It was $120 on amazon, a lot cheaper than a full hardware Tech2 clone and the dealers I was calling where somewhere around $120 for a minimum shop time charge, so it seemed worth trying out.

It was delivered earlier today and in the box was the OBD2 adapter, a micro usb cable, and a CD of software. The software it came with included, GM MDI Manager, VX Manager, Tech2Win, and VMPlayer. I installed all of them except for VMPlayer as it's only needed if you'll be running the other software from inside a virtual machine.

Once the software/drivers where finished installing, The Tech2Win software was able to recognize the adapter and connect to the car. After going though some menus I got to the option programing and was able to turn on cruise control. Went out for a test drive and I can confirm that cruise control now works.

This this is a pretty cool device and probably the most advanced scan tool i'll ever own. As far as I can tell, anything that a real Tech2 can do, this thing can also do. If anyone has any questions about the Tech2Win feel free to ask me

I've taken some photos and posted them to an imgur album as well as to an album on this site incase anything ever happens to imgur.

link to imgur album - https://imgur.com/a/mpaJxgn

In England, they drive on the left side of the road. In New England, we drive on what's left of the road.
1997 SL2, 107K miles ~ My first car, trying to make it count

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2018, 10:48 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Took a gamble, bought a tech2 clone (Tech2Win)

It is the MDI Manager that is required to make the tech2win actually communicate and is usually not included. This setup is probably a bit fiddly and user nasty for most shops/DIY types but if you have patience it will work.

What OS is running on your computer?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:53 PM   #3
Zeebins
Zeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
It is the MDI Manager that is required to make the tech2win actually communicate and is usually not included. This setup is probably a bit fiddly and user nasty for most shops/DIY types but if you have patience it will work.

What OS is running on your computer?
MDI manager was the only one I couldn't get to launch, it would always crash before it would open. Glad to know it's doing something. And yeah, no instructions whatsoever, defiantly not user friendly. I'm running windows XP, it just has a theme set to make everything black.

In England, they drive on the left side of the road. In New England, we drive on what's left of the road.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-15-2018, 11:03 PM   #4
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Can you add fobs to saturn vues or does that require tokens?
Where did you buy it?

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:25 PM   #5
Zeebins

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
Can you add fobs to saturn vues or does that require tokens?
Where did you buy it?

-Robert
I got it on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0743...o_pop_mb_pd_t2

As for fobs, based on this screen I was able to get to, I'd assume so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3861.jpg (157.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3860.jpg (201.9 KB, 23 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-16-2018, 04:30 AM   #6
Mark_b
Mark_b has a spectacular aura aboutMark_b has a spectacular aura aboutMark_b has a spectacular aura about

1996 SC2

I also looked at the clone but did not want to pay that much.

I saw this one on the Chevy Volt fourm. They use it to program modules and check battery pack voltages.

Mine will be here in a couple days. Thanks for posting. I want to use in to reset the transmission adaptive settings. Crank sensor position relearn. Do you see the relearn settings and clean transmission adaptive settings?

I also might try to program my son's Pcm.

Last edited by Mark_b; 05-16-2018 at 04:41 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mark_b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mark_b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mark_b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:33 AM   #7
Kaervak
Kaervak will become famous soon enoughKaervak will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

I thought about getting the VCXnano instead of the full blown Tech2 clone, but decided against it mostly because it requires a laptop. Still a very cool piece of hardware though. Glad to see its worked well for you and that it's viable alternative to a full blown Tech2 setup. Thanks for posting about it.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaervak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaervak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:13 AM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_b View Post
I also looked at the clone but did not want to pay that much.

I saw this one on the Chevy Volt fourm. They use it to program modules and check battery pack voltages.

Mine will be here in a couple days. Thanks for posting. I want to use in to reset the transmission adaptive settings. Crank sensor position relearn. Do you see the relearn settings and clean transmission adaptive settings?

I also might try to program my son's Pcm.
If you reset the hard stored trans adaptives be sure to read the relearn steps for that specific set of adaptives before doing it as you have the potential to mechanically damage the transmission.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-16-2018, 08:17 AM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebins View Post
MDI manager was the only one I couldn't get to launch, it would always crash before it would open. Glad to know it's doing something. And yeah, no instructions whatsoever, defiantly not user friendly. I'm running windows XP, it just has a theme set to make everything black.
I suspected you were running a 32 bit XP. many of these programs will not run on the latest versions of the OS. MDI might be 64 bit and that is why it crashes. Some of these programs are actually a compiled VMWare image that is running in a VM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-16-2018, 09:17 AM   #10
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Do you also have to buy a tech2win subscription?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-16-2018, 09:40 AM   #11
Mark_b
Mark_b has a spectacular aura aboutMark_b has a spectacular aura aboutMark_b has a spectacular aura about

1996 SC2

You only have to buy subscription to program modules.
They now have a $40 for one car for 2 years. (This lets you program modules for one VIN)
https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/subscribehome

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Mark_b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-16-2018, 10:06 AM   #12
Zeebins

1997 SL2

Quote:
I did see an option to relearn crank position. I don't remember seeing one for transmission adaptive settings but I also wasn't really looking for it but I'd assume it's there without having to check

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-16-2018, 11:03 AM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

It should be there if you have an automatic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-16-2018, 11:53 AM   #14
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
I suspected you were running a 32 bit XP. many of these programs will not run on the latest versions of the OS. MDI might be 64 bit and that is why it crashes. Some of these programs are actually a compiled VMWare image that is running in a VM.
That makes sense that they are emulating whatever OS the Tech2 hardware runs internally so they don't need to port the app.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-16-2018, 12:15 PM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

This post: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=11 gives you an idea of the size of the soup sandwich,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-16-2018, 12:23 PM   #16
Mark_b

1996 SC2

I dug out my old win7 laptop and I and charging it and getting updated.
It has 125 updates to do
I had to go back four laptops to find a 32bit laptop. Mine gets delivered tomorrow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #17
Mark_b

1996 SC2

Here are a couple videos of the software in action put out by VXDIAG

VXDIAG GM Tech2win diagnostic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NdbN580HFY

VXDIAG GM Online Programming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmNETnv1TQc

VXDIAG GM GDS2 diagnostic Newer cars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTHKxWWf3H8

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-16-2018, 01:19 PM   #18
Zeebins

1997 SL2

I've seen people on amazon and other forms using a 64bit version of windows as well as newer versions of windows such as windows 8 or 10. Some have more success than others so your mileage may vary.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-16-2018, 02:22 PM   #19
Mark_b

1996 SC2

I saw some people doing 64bit installs but I have this old laptop and I have some work for it right away. I want to get up and running fast like you did.

My sonís 96 is still throwing a P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected. But there is no miss.
I have seen where people on here have done a crank angle sensor relearn and fixed this on a 96.
Not sure if that will fix it but I want to give it a shot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-16-2018, 02:23 PM   #20
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
I dug out my old win7 laptop and I and charging it and getting updated.
It has 125 updates to do
I had to go back four laptops to find a 32bit laptop. Mine gets delivered tomorrow.
Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 for sure have a 32 bit compatibility built in. Windows 10 is questionable as it depends on which version you are running. If things try to open and crash there are logs to look at and that can prove informative.
XP and 7 are the safe bets to not be real difficult to start with.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!