SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2018, 09:28 PM   #1
michcoth
michcoth is on a distinguished road

Default Engine Has No Power

My 2009 outlook was misfiring for 6 months before I took it into the shop. First I replaced the spark plugs since they were cheap. That didn't solve the misfire, and I didn't want to have to work on it more so I took it to the shop.

They replaced the 3rd cylinder's ignition coil, which matched the engine code. They also said there was an engine code for the catalytic converter, but it went away after coil replacement. I take it home and a week later it started misfiring again.

I again procrastinated, and let it misfire. A few months later my engine completely looses power, and won't make it past 2K RPMs. So, thinking it was the cats, I removed the oxygen sensors at the headers, and I had engine power. So I ordered the 2 precats, and installed them today. I also went ahead and replaced the ignition coils.

I fired it up, and went for a drive, same problem. Any ideas on what it could be or what I should try next? Could it really be the rear cats? I would think the precats would get clogged first, and not even allow the rear to get clogged.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to michcoth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help michcoth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
michcoth is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2018, 10:37 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Engine Has No Power

Yes, the third cat can burn out and disintegrate just as well as the two precats. The problem was not addressing the misfiring as soon as it occurred. When any engine misfires, the unburned fuel enters the exhaust system. Since the precats are on each bank of a V6 engine, that precat simply burns the unburned fuel and cooks at a higher than normal operating temperature so it can disintegrate and fall apart to block exhaust flow. The higher exhaust heat travels to the main catcon and allows it to cook too. It can disintegrate and fall apart too, blocking exhaust flow.

Allowing misfiring to continue beyond approximately 50 miles of the initial check engine light/misfire error code allows catcons to prematurely fail.

The only way to find out if the main catcon burned out is to remove it and try driving to see if engine power returns.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:42 PM   #3
michcoth

Thanks for the quick reply! I was kind of freaking out after spending all this money and effort and having the car still not work. Based on your reply I probably shouldn't feel like I wasted money on the precats?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help michcoth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-27-2018, 11:03 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Its not likely to feel like wasting money on the exhaust system if you did your own repairs, saving on labor costs and marked up parts. Consider part of the exhaust system is repaired and the last part may be the main catcon needing replacement. I don't know Outlook exhaust configuration but if the rear catcon can be removed (sawzalled) and put back on if it isn't damaged (using pipe splice and clamps or welding) and engine started for a brief drive to confirm engine power resumption, replacing it may be easy. Routing of the rear catcon is the issue whether it lends itself to easy removal and replacement whether welded or clamped for repairs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:45 PM   #5
michcoth

The linke below is the configuration. I've already replaced the pre cat cons, which don't have a part number in the image.

Part 642044 is what I'm after next, which is what I believe you're calling the main cat con. I'm guessing I don't really have to worry about anything downstream from this?

I don't have enough posts to link this directly.

www(dot)carid(dot)com/images/ap-exhaust-technologies/items/scheme/102644.jpg

Edit: Wording

REWARD EXCELLENCE!