SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2018, 08:04 PM   #1
CruzzieQ
CruzzieQ is on a distinguished road

Default EVAP purge delete 08 Astra H XE

does anyone know if a EVAP purge system delete is bad for a vehicle? and does anyone know how to delete it on a 08 Astra H 1.8 l? Car runs perfect until I need fuel.
I have a code P0496 and my gas mileage is in the gutter

any suggestions?
Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CruzzieQ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CruzzieQ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CruzzieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2018, 01:25 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: EVAP purge delete 08 Astra H XE

Short answer - yes. Attempting to delete emission functions simply meddles with programmed diagnostics intended to run as part of mandated emissions control. Anyone attempting to circumvent any emissions function may result in more error codes as one miscalculated attempt to delete or bypass one function may cause a cascade effect of other error codes occurring. This might be the electronics version of opening Pandora's box. An example of a multi billion dollar settlement in meddling by Volkswagen follows. This is in no way to compare what you think can help with a problem and doesn't address how to fix it.

You may have read about VW settling with the US Attorney's suit (fines in excess of $65 billion) when VW deliberately used proprietary software provided by Bosch to bypass diesel emissions controls (illegally) when VW diesel cars were on the road, spewing pollution, disregarding agreement between Bosch and VW not to use the software except for testing purposes. During normal emissions tests, the program automatically detects emissions testing and resumes normal emissions controls but when testing concludes and car returned to normal operation the program is switched on and bypasses emissions controls. Vehicles driven are more polluting than when under programmed emissions control. This was inadvertently discovered by research scientists studying emissions when they noticed an anomaly, expecting normal emissions controls when they found emissions during driving cycles well above expected values. This was proven and steps taken to duplicate this anomaly to discover a secret VW hid from owners. The exposure to illegal tampering with diesel emissions in the USA resulted in VW's admission of guilt to using software illegally. Bosch designed software for testing purposes and instead of having it installed and removed, somehow entered in some kind of business agreement to have this software installed in every VW diesel with the express agreement to disable it when not needed. Simple programming instructions done at the factory assembly level. This doesn't imply you would be risking legal action or create a way for anyone to perform the same or similar bypass of emissions functions rivaling VW's completely illegal act.

Here's one site that explains P0496 and addressing it; https://www.obd-codes.com/p0496 While it covers most vehicles with slightly different methods of repairs, the generic error code is universal for all vehicles with OBD II diagnostics. It may seem a little overwhelming to understand what goes on and how to troubleshoot one error code but this is the way to address most error codes. It helps to have some knowledge of EFI systems to have a perspective to fix some problems. There are many ways to address this error code as googling does open up as much info as anyone is willing to become informed insofar as diy repairs. The alternative is paying a dealer or repair shop to fix it. Your choice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:00 AM   #3
AstraFasta
AstraFasta will become famous soon enough

Beyond the enviornmental concerns noted by fdryer above, this engine is very finicky. When in proper tune, the z18xer runs very nicely indeed.

If you bypass the EVAP purge valve, I fear the ECU will put you into a limp mode, using more fuel and providing less power.

The British forums noted that you risk clogging the engine internals as well. I imaginve that could require additional future service to the valvetrain, PCV valve (which is tough to change on the astra), and the catalytic converter but am not sure about the long-term consequences.

You could try cleaning the EVAP purge valve (I tried but it didn't work on my car). New Bosch valve was roughly $70 shipped. Very easy to install. I think the price will pay dividends in better gas mileage and reduced future maintenance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:42 AM   #4
CruzzieQ

Thanks AstraFasta ...I will order the valve

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help CruzzieQ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-26-2018, 10:44 AM   #5
CruzzieQ

ThankYou FDryer I will absolutely take your advice

REWARD EXCELLENCE!