SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2018, 07:31 PM   #1
vomacka
vomacka is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan
Attention 2003 Saturn ION turn signal does not make "clicking" sound when working...

Just to let you know, this is my first post here. I hope someone can give me some advice.

I am having a problem with my 2003 Saturn ION's turn signal "clicking" sound.

It started about two weeks ago. I noticed that when using the turn signal, there was no "clicking" sound anymore. I then noticed that my emergency caution lights did not "click" either when I tried them.

I have a Haynes manual for my 2003 ION, but it does not really help in diagnosing this problem.

Is there anything behind the center console that would fix the problem? I thought I read that the problem is with the emergency flashers button(?)

I appreciate any and all help you can give me.

Scott

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vomacka's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vomacka reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vomacka is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2018, 10:34 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: 2003 Saturn ION turn signal does not make "clicking" sound when working...

Welcome to SaturnFans!

Not being an Ion owner I can't speak with certainty, but it seems like your hazard switch also serves as a flasher for the turn signals as well. Question: do the signal lights flash during turns, or for hazard/warning?

294,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:46 AM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: 2003 Saturn ION turn signal does not make "clicking" sound when working...

Further checking makes it clear that the hazard warning switch does double as a flasher for the turn signals. If it's not making a clicking sound when activated then the unit is bad and needs replacement. Saturn used this set up in the L-Series cars also.

Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-25-2018, 09:02 AM   #4
vomacka

2003 ION-1 Sedan
Attention Re: 2003 Saturn ION turn signal does not make "clicking" sound when working...

The hazards and turn signals work (BLINK) OK. It's just that they don't make the "clicking" sound anymore when active.

So, how do I go about replacing the hazard switch? I guess I have to remove the center console to get at the switch?

Scott

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help vomacka reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-25-2018, 02:36 PM   #5
kg6mvb
kg6mvb has a spectacular aura aboutkg6mvb has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2002 SL2

The 03 does not use the head unit for the clicks. I seem to remember that there is a small transducer on the back of the instrument panel for the clicks, dings, and whatever other sounds it makes.

Proud to be a member of both the Ham Radio and Saturn Cults.

Avitar is a Saturn V rocket engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kg6mvb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kg6mvb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kg6mvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:48 PM   #6
nickroa95
nickroa95 is a jewel in the roughnickroa95 is a jewel in the roughnickroa95 is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL1
2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Yep, open up the middle dash piece. I don't think you have to remove the radio to get access to the little speaker looking thing that sits under the cluster. Prob just broke off. A new cluster would seem much easier of a replacement but it's up to you. Pop's 06 RL has the same problem but he'll live lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nickroa95's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nickroa95 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nickroa95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:22 PM   #7
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

kg6mvb and nickroa95, thank you both for correcting me regarding where the hazard and turn signal sounds come from on the Ion!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2018, 07:42 PM   #8
vomacka

2003 ION-1 Sedan
Question Re: 2003 Saturn ION turn signal does not make "clicking" sound when working...

So, would anyone have a picture of what to look for when I remove the center console? Like I said, the Haynes manual does not give good pictures of removing this panel.

What does the switch, that I have to replace, look like?

Scott

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-22-2018, 02:26 AM   #9
awfulbeans
awfulbeans is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

It's the largest thing on the back of the cluster. Black cylinder with a hole in the end of it.

You can't swap clusters unless you swap the EPROM chip between them (requires soldering - the chip contains the VIN and odometer reading).

Do you still get chimes? (seat belt, key-in reminder, etc) If so, you have an issue with either the body control module or cluster. If you don't, it's likely the piezo speaker.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to awfulbeans's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help awfulbeans reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
awfulbeans is offline   Reply With Quote