SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2018, 12:58 PM   #1
colonelhogan44
colonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nice

1998 SL2
Default Saturn Patents

Some interesting browsing:

https://patents.google.com/?assignee=Saturn+Corp

MechE - I make things!

EGR ADAPTERS AVAILABLE! $30 "reverse" $40 standard

1998 SL2 (gone, never forgotten)
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
1987 Mercedes 300D
1993 Tracker 4x4
1996 Tracker 4x4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2018, 04:05 PM   #2
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: Saturn Patents

Cool stuff, thanks for posting that. Downloaded the PDF for the subframe nut thing as that may be in my future
Incredible that they patented the plastic valve covers

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:20 PM   #3
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enoughCheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Incredible that they'd bother. FAIL.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:46 PM   #4
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Not all plastic ones are the same, my 98 SW2 never warped or leaked with over 215K miles on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:48 PM   #5
Eiron
Eiron is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Incredible that they'd bother. FAIL.
At least it's just a cover and doesn't cause engine failure. Ford's "better idea" was bolting a plastic thermostat housing directly to the engine block and flowing hot, pressurized coolant thru it! We had to replace that stupid thing on my daughter's Focus three times in six years!!

He's dead Jim!
You grab his tricorder, I'll get his wallet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Eiron's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Eiron reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Eiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:12 PM   #6
Cheyne

2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiron View Post
At least it's just a cover and doesn't cause engine failure. Ford's "better idea" was bolting a plastic thermostat housing directly to the engine block and flowing hot, pressurized coolant thru it! We had to replace that stupid thing on my daughter's Focus three times in six years!!
Been there, done that on my son's Explorer. Not to mention the plastic "diverter" or whatever it's called fail in the heater hose on the 4.0.

But ... GM also used plastic fittings in their coolant lines at the block. I don't remember the exact configuration, but I had to replace one on the brother-in-law's Bonneville that was a common failure causing the coolant to pour out.

I wonder if Ford tried to patent theirs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-24-2018, 06:16 PM   #7
Cheyne

2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Not all plastic ones are the same, my 98 SW2 never warped or leaked with over 215K miles on it.
I think this has to do with not allowing to overheat. I have a 2000 that I promptly replaced the radiator when it first showed signs of leaking. I tend to check the coolant whenever I check oil. I also replaced the cam cover gasket when oil showed up in plug 1. It doesn't appear to be warped, and there's no sign of leaking on visual/blotting inspection.

Either way, I'd much prefer an aluminum valve cover if we could get one for 3rd generation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!