SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2018, 12:11 AM   #1
Mike R
Mike R is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1
2000 SL2
Default Engine mount question

I can't take the vibration anymore, I'm planning on replacing all the engine mounts on my 01 SL1. I've ordered the Energy Suspension dog bone inserts, I would like to use OEM top and transmission mounts but I'm not having any luck finding them. Are they still available or am I stuck with aftermarket? If I have to go A/M what brand should I look for?

2001 SL1 5 speed
2000 SL2 Automatic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mike R's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mike R reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mike R is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2018, 05:37 AM   #2
Zeebins
Zeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2
Default Re: Engine mount question

If you want to go OE this is pretty much your only option, it's also the one I'm currently using now.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/92-02-Satur...-/263337172144

If you want to go after market though people on amazon and here on the forms seem to like this one the most. I haven't tried it though so I don't know how it compares to OE.
https://www.amazon.com/Westar-EM2827.../dp/B000C9B5EE

You'll never catch me, not when I shift into, performance mode!
1997 SL2, 108K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:02 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

You're stick of vibrations yet buy solid mounts to put into it? That's the opposite way you should be going if vibrations are truly the issue. Don't get me wrong, if it were left up to me I'd say shove 3M WindowWeld into all the engine mounts

Not sure I can recommend paying $150 for a NOS rubber part, paying dealer price of $100ish was hard enough to justify but now that it's not been produced for 5+ years? Yeah, no thanks. It would have to last 10 years to be cheaper than buying a $16 mount yearly, and I don't see that happening.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:37 AM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

I ran a solid rubber Anchor aftermarket mount for about 8 years / 100k miles. Still in good shape. Avoid the ones with the frowny face on the fronts; they take care of the vibrations but don't seem to last long.

You'll need to open the box at the auto parts store as both types have the same part number, DEA 2827. A fellow saturnfan went to the same exact store where I bought the mount on the right below, and when he opened the box, it was a frownie mount.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:20 AM   #5
bachands
Advanced Member
bachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to behold

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebins View Post
If you want to go OE this is pretty much your only option, it's also the one I'm currently using now.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/92-02-Satur...-/263337172144

If you want to go after market though people on amazon and here on the forms seem to like this one the most. I haven't tried it though so I don't know how it compares to OE.
https://www.amazon.com/Westar-EM2827.../dp/B000C9B5EE
Wow! This guy find the what could be the LAST remaining OEM mounts! If you want to get rid of the vibration, this is what you need. Steep price to pay at $150, but that's what it takes.

Hate to rain on anyone's parade, but even though the Westar and DEA make the solid-type mounts, they will NOT get rid of vibration. In fact, they may make it worse. The frowny style mounts may actually do a bit better job of absorbing vibration, but they still aren't very good. Trust me, I've had experiences with ALL the different mounts. There's just no substitute for the OEM engine mount. And unfortunately they are discontinued

PS Online dealers still sell the OEM trans and torque strut mounts, however the most important one is the top engine mount.

'97 SL1, 136K, Auto, Mint Green (SOLD 146K)
'99 SL2, 126K, Auto, Silver (SOLD 149K)
'97 SL1, 136K, Manual, Burgundy (Gifted to Brother 138K)
'02 SL2, 149K, Auto, Light Gray/Silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bachands's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bachands reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bachands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:54 AM   #6
ErikTande
ErikTande will become famous soon enough

Anything is better than a worn out mount. I can't imagine paying $150 for one though. I've put the $16 Westar top mount from Amazon on 3 different cars (1996 sl1, 2001 sl2, 1997 sw2) and have had buttery smooth results with all 3, no more rattles.

https://amzn.to/2HEyw1H

http://www.youtube.com/velocitylabs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ErikTande's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ErikTande reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ErikTande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:15 PM   #7
Zeebins
Zeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachands View Post
Wow! This guy find the what could be the LAST remaining OEM mounts! If you want to get rid of the vibration, this is what you need. Steep price to pay at $150, but that's what it takes.
The current listing says 150 but that's definitely more than what I payed. (To be fair I payed 140 but still, price rise for no reason)

Also I'm not the one who originally found that mount. A while back when I was looking for a mount, toggenburg was the one who found it for me. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...38&postcount=4

You'll never catch me, not when I shift into, performance mode!
1997 SL2, 108K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:14 AM   #8
bachands
Advanced Member
bachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to behold

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebins View Post
The current listing says 150 but that's definitely more than what I payed. (To be fair I payed 140 but still, price rise for no reason)

Also I'm not the one who originally found that mount. A while back when I was looking for a mount, toggenburg was the one who found it for me. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...38&postcount=4
Oh, great thread. Glad to see that you got rid of your vibration issues. But more importantly, I'm so glad to see that I can still find genuine OEM top mounts for my SL1 if I need one. I'll have to work some OT to pay for it, but at least it's available

'97 SL1, 136K, Auto, Mint Green (SOLD 146K)
'99 SL2, 126K, Auto, Silver (SOLD 149K)
'97 SL1, 136K, Manual, Burgundy (Gifted to Brother 138K)
'02 SL2, 149K, Auto, Light Gray/Silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bachands's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bachands reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bachands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:04 AM   #9
TerribleT
TerribleT is on a distinguished road

I have a quick question related to this post but not really big enough for its own post. I too am replacing my engine mount (Saturn SL2 1996) due to a broken stud and I'm missing one of the bolts that goes on the stud. The studs are part No 11518885 but I can't find the specs for the bolts. Does anyone know the bolt size so I can get a replacement? Thanks for your help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TerribleT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TerribleT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TerribleT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:28 AM   #10
TerribleT

Forgive me, I tried to edit my post but couldn't figure out how. I said bolt but I should have said nut. I'm missing the Engine mount stud nut and need to replace it. Its not obvious how big the nut is and my google-fu turned up nothing. Any help would be appreciated

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TerribleT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-02-2018, 10:39 AM   #11
ErikTande
ErikTande will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleT View Post
Forgive me, I tried to edit my post but couldn't figure out how. I said bolt but I should have said nut. I'm missing the Engine mount stud nut and need to replace it. Its not obvious how big the nut is and my google-fu turned up nothing. Any help would be appreciated
You can pull one from the junkyard for free, or just take the nut with you to a hardware store and find a matching one. They're not particularly special so any similar nut with the correct thread pitch will do.

http://www.youtube.com/velocitylabs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ErikTande's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ErikTande reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ErikTande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:50 AM   #12
TerribleT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikTande View Post
You can pull one from the junkyard for free, or just take the nut with you to a hardware store and find a matching one. They're not particularly special so any similar nut with the correct thread pitch will do.
Thank you Erik, I know the quality of the stud is important but I don't really have enough experience to know how important the nuts are. I'm glad to hear just about anything that fits will do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-02-2018, 12:13 PM   #13
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of lightMacgyver is a glorious beacon of light

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

I've had ok luck taking a 1/8" drill bit and basically making holes in the rubber of an aftermarket mount that's not the frown face. This made the mount artificially softer so the engine wasn't shattering your teeth while it's idling.

This helps, but does not come anywhere close to OEM. I've only done it twice in a pinch where the owner doesn't have money for an OEM mount and I don't have time to find a quality used one at the junkyard.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:43 PM   #14
Integral
Integral has a spectacular aura aboutIntegral has a spectacular aura aboutIntegral has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike R View Post
If I have to go A/M what brand should I look for?
I had the same problem. I went aftermarket based on the price difference. Based on this forum's recommendations and Amazon user reviews, I chose the WESTAR EM2827.

Rockauto https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...266768&jsn=359

Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Westar-EM2827...4&sr=1-1-fkmr0

Despite the picture, it is a solid mount not the frowny design.

One caveat though, I did have to slightly enlarge the holes, with a dremel, on the frame side to get it to fit properly. That took less than 10 minutes.

A very good deal for ~$20 shipped.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Integral's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Integral reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Integral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:22 AM   #15
Nekomimi
Nekomimi is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

My early 2017 production DEA mount has served me well, getting to the point of replacement.

When it comes to engine vibration, Im pretty sure it was oldnuc who said it depends on the condition of your engine. If you have a smooth running engine, solid/stiffer mounts aren't going to cause much of an problem. I'm also running a prothane lower dog-bone, nothing really noticable.

Another point to focus on on, is to zero your dog-bone mounts, improper alignment can cause increased vibrations out the wazoo. Park on a level surface, Loosen the two bolts that secure the mount under passnger side dog-bone, then loosen the two bolts holding the driver side bone to the frame and trans. Give the engine a good shake back and forth, then tighten the bolts back up and enjoy ^ .^

Best to do periodically and especially after TAM replacement.

'96 SL1 Originally the family car, passed on to me as my first. "Hellcat" 240,000+ miles and purring smooth.
My Mug is filled with the lost souls of imports.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nekomimi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nekomimi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nekomimi is offline   Reply With Quote