SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2018, 06:37 PM   #1
Original
Original is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Exhaust Smoke

I have a 2003 L200 there is smoke coming from the exhaust, its white smoke and only happens when I press on the gas after idling for a few minutes. I took it to get checked, I was told that the seals are leaking and it wasn't worth rebuilding the engine to fix the problem. So i figured I would just swap out the engine but I'm having trouble finding an engine that would be compatible.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Original's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Original reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Original is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2018, 06:43 PM   #2
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: Exhaust Smoke

Try this web site: http://www.car-part.com Enter the information for your vehicle.

Note that you can search for Junk yards in your state, region or the entire country.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:38 PM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

The outcome of the inspection is that there are bad (valve stem) seals and then the leap is made to replacing the engine. I don't quite understand that. Replacing those leaking seals isn't an unusually difficult job. Are there other reasons as to why the engine should be replaced?

286,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:59 AM   #4
Dsaturn
Dsaturn is a jewel in the roughDsaturn is a jewel in the roughDsaturn is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original View Post
I have a 2003 L200 there is smoke coming from the exhaust, its white smoke and only happens when I press on the gas after idling for a few minutes. I took it to get checked, I was told that the seals are leaking and it wasn't worth rebuilding the engine to fix the problem. So i figured I would just swap out the engine but I'm having trouble finding an engine that would be compatible.
How many miles on the vehicle? Which seals did they say are bad?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:25 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
So you see white smoke on a cold engine? Does smoke disappear when the engine is fully warmed up? And are you in a cold weather area?

Before concluding a worn out engine, especially from repair shops looking to score a large profit from unsuspecting car owners, perhaps you need to be informed of everyday engine running. As asked previously, what's mileage on this car? In cool/cold weather, most cold engine startups results in white steam exhaust as a result of condensation/humidity in the air that turns to steam from combustion exiting the exhaust pipe. Its always noticeable on cold engine startups in cool/cold weather. Once the engine warms up, less steam is seen. In warm weather, steam may be seen on startup but quickly disappears. All this steam is just moisture being created from humidity in cold weather. If steam continues after warm-up and the engine acts funny then there may be cause for concern. Providing some background car history can help with diagnosing problems in public forums.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:22 AM   #6
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2

Here's a link to a useful article on smoke color and causes
https://www.freeasestudyguides.com/exhaust-color.html

Personally I would be getting a 2nd opinion from somewhere else before leaping to replace an engine.

If indeed it can be repaired, then do so. If it cannot be repaired and you are looking at a replacement engine, then why not just keep on driving it until the smoke screen becomes a big issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:40 PM   #7
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

More questions arise:
Quote:
I have a 2003 L200 there is smoke coming from the exhaust, its white smoke and only happens when I press on the gas after idling for a few minutes.
1) What exactly do you mean here?
a) Do you allow the car to warm up for a few minutes before taking it out to drive, or
b) is the warmed up for a shorter time, taken out to drive and still giving exhaust smoke when idling at a stop sign or traffic signal after a few more minutes?
c) Does your engine warm up time vary depending on warmer or colder weather conditions? If so, what differs?
d) How long has this condition existed?

2) Apart from the exhaust smoke issue, how well is the engine performing?
a) Is the engine idling poorly?
b) Does it run roughly as if there's a misfire?
c) Has there been a noticeable loss of power?

286,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:59 PM   #8
Russet
Russet will become famous soon enoughRusset will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
First of all how did they check it? As others mentioned this could be weather related only not a engine problem. So get another opinion before taking their word to verify what is the cause first. That way you have a better idea what to do next.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote