SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2018, 01:26 PM   #1
raymondjiii
raymondjiii is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
Default I had to cut brake line at caliper hose...

Can someone tell me what I should use to replace this fitting on the steel line that connects to the caliper hose. I'm thinking double flare with fitting on steel line and then to something like this fitting:

Inverted flare bubble adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/Inverted-Flar...fittings&psc=1

I cannot break the front brake lines to caliper hoses. So much rust and not enough room to cut them.

Thanks for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to raymondjiii's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help raymondjiii reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
raymondjiii is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2018, 03:23 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: I had to cut brake line at caliper hose...

Tried heat from a propane torch? This can allow severely corroded fittings to break loose. Penetrating oil allowed to soak in before heating may allow the artificial bonding to break.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 04:49 PM   #3
raymondjiii

1994 SC2

Yeah, I let PB Blaster soak in and then hit it with Mapp gas. No luck.

I was hoping to do all four wheels but I can leave the front ones if need be. Just not sure what to use for connecting the brakes lines to the new brake hoses since the OEM had a factory fitting on the end of the lines (not a double inverted flare connector.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help raymondjiii reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-21-2018, 08:00 PM   #4
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

There are a bunch of fittings in a kit.
The flaring tool is easy to use.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:14 PM   #5
raymondjiii

1994 SC2

I figured this out

Bubble flare at the brake hose. Doh!

I thought it was something special. I've only done double flares before and I did not have any bubble flare nuts but now I see the difference.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2018, 03:38 AM   #6
KNGRK9
KNGRK9 has a spectacular aura aboutKNGRK9 has a spectacular aura aboutKNGRK9 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

I had this issue with my brake hoses, I blew one while under emergency braking measures and my calipers were reversed apparently so they had been rubbing on the hoses. Blew the hose and when I went to replace it could not get the hose off. So I ended up chopping up the steel line and completely replacing the front end lines.

1999 SL2 HCE - 245k (wrecked)(rebuilding)
2004 Ion Redline - 108k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KNGRK9's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KNGRK9 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KNGRK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:13 AM   #7
raymondjiii

1994 SC2

I would actually love to replace all 4 lines completely - but I'm not sure where they go - do they come off the booster and if so where do they connect.

If only one could (still?) buy pre-formed lines too. It's not too bad given the clips that the rear lines fit in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2018, 09:39 AM   #8
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondjiii View Post
If only one could (still?) buy pre-formed lines too. It's not too bad given the clips that the rear lines fit in.
It would be difficult to get them shipped to NY, but southern salvage yards have S-Series brake lines that look about a month old.

If you have a brake line to use as a template, you can bend yourself a new set. It is not difficult and you could add as many splice joints/fittings as you want to make installation easier.
You coud go to a salvage yard and pay someone to hold the propper S-Series in the air while you remove the brake lines. ...in pieces using side-cutter pliers and such.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:43 AM   #9
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

You could not get a prebent right rear line in without taking apart the car. If you are comfortable plumbing, buy nicopp and bend them yourself. My brake line documentation starts on page 6 of my thread.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=230898&page=6
To bend the nicopp, we just matched it to the old line and taped them together as we went.

It is nice to have all new brake lines!

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote