SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2018, 11:43 PM   #1
Zeebins
Zeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2
Default I need some advice on some body work for my car

I was about to post this in the "what did you do to your S-Series..." but i thought it would be better to make it its own post.

So what did I do to my S-Series today? Well, I backed it into someone else's car after accidentally turning into the road without looking, quickly going into reverse to avoid being hit on my left, but then I forgot to look behind me and just ended up backing into someone else.

The bumper is pretty scuffed up with a few deep scratches and I think it misaligned the left side of the trunk where it meets the drivers side rear quarter panel. (The quarter panel sites a little higher than the trunk on the drivers side but the passenger side still stays flat when going from trunk to panel.)

I was talking to my dad about getting the rear bumper repainted and he mentioned I should probably just get the whole car redone. About a year ago I made some poor judgement on a 3 point turn and ended up driving into a fence. It chipped/ scratched the passenger side corner of the bumper pretty bad and also put a nice crack in the passenger side fender. Other than that though it just has the usual scratches and dings from a car thats over 20 years old, as well as the clear coat peeling in some areas.

I do kinda want to repaint the whole car as well as have the cracks/chips repaired but I don't really know the best way to go about doing this. My dad mentioned Maaco but I feel like thats not really a good option. I know that if the paint work isn't done correctly it'll look awful in a few years (or even right after painting) and with Maaco's questionable reputation, they're probably not a good choice.

So really I'm wondering what my best option is here, local body shop, doing it myself. What would you do based on personal experience from doing/having body work on these cars? Any advice on this would be really appreciated

TLDR: My Saturn's paint is showing its age with some general wear and tare + 2 stupid accidents in the past year. What should I do to go about getting it looking better again?

You'll never catch me, not when I shift into, performance mode!
1997 SL2, 108K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is online now   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2018, 06:08 AM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: I need some advice on some body work for my car

If you have no experience prepping and repainting a car and you don't trust Maaco in your area, I would not try to learn on it. Check with others and find a reputable shop. Be prepared to pay plenty for a quality job, or swap out panels from other vehicles. Depends on how many miles on the car, it's reliability and your budget.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:11 AM   #3
Waiex191
Advanced Member
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

What toggenburg says is entirely sensible. On the other hand, I learned to do bodywork and paint cars by doing bodywork and painting cars. I didn't even have YouTube! Just friends and neighbors. You have to decide if you have the space, tools, budget, time, and patience. If you can answer yes to all of that then go for it.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:04 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The paint specification for that car are different for the various parts. Metal, plastic panels, bumpers are all slightly different and they do not mix. Sometimes you can find a shop that can repair minor damage and chips at reasonably low cost. A good entire body paint job is expensive. Shop around and ask questions. The paint is expensive as well so take that into consideration.

There are chip and crack repair people who go around to the various used car lots and small dealer shops who do this paint repair at a low cost. Start asking the used car lots and find out who does their paint touchup work. This takes time as they usually do not want to give out this information.

If your car is a metallic paint formula matching the various parts becomes a major challenge and that is what you end up really paying for.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:03 AM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

TL;DR: your path depends on what is most important:

your time, your budget, the quality of the job. As they say, pick any two

Just throwing this out there. . .

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154427

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:01 PM   #6
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the rough

Then again....

Perfection?

Who needs it?

Battle scars are proof of life well lived.

You can take one look at me, and know I' ve had more fun than most normal people.

Be proud of your scars.

In fact - if the truth is too mundane - make up interesting stories to explain them.

92 SC2
93 SC2
93 SW2
95 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:13 AM   #7
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

As OldNuc pointed out- Paint will act differently when it adheres to metal surfaces compared to non-metal surfaces (Plastics).

For those that may not be in the know (Saturns 101) , the only metal surfaces on these cars that is outward facing- is the Hood, Pillars, Roof, and Trunk. All of the other panels: Front and Rear Bumper Covers, Front and Rear Quarter Panels, and Doors; are Plastic.

I once had to have a paint shop redo the paint job on an unfinished upper bumper cover on my 94 SC1, because the paint turned out to be a green gold rather then just gold. Even though the shop used the proper paint codes. Your shop experience may be different.

I believe that you still *could* buy unfinished grey primed panels that could be painted to your car's original specs; but in all honesty- unless you are planning to keep the car until it has historical plates...the money you spend on redoing paint could have been spent better elsewhere.

Give your car a good wax and wash... you would be surprised what these can do, to bring out your car's shine.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:57 AM   #8
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Wrench Re: I need some advice on some body work for my car

To the OP-

I have had very good luck using adhesion promoter on plastic parts, particularly on flexible ones.
Such as-
https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-C.../dp/B0007UAXJQ
(as long as you don't live on Catalina Island.... )

The key I have found on flexible parts is to take all of the paint off and start with the bare plastic.
Do not skimp on the preparations!

I totally agree with Waiex191.
That was the path I took, and I have painted something in excess of 35 cars and motorcycles (I have literally lost count).
I learned by doing, and admittedly did have some less than great results along the way.
It depends largely upon your mindset and level of persistence whether this is a reasonable path for you or not.
Frankly, if you can find someone to just paint the affected panels at a reasonable price, let them do it and move on with your life.
These aren't high end snob cars after all, but painting cars (or car parts) is not everyone's idea of a good time.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

2017 Camaro, 97SC2 Saturn (temp), Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:33 AM   #9
Mister_Cee
Mister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2

I once had to have a paint shop redo the paint job on an unfinished upper bumper cover ..... even though the shop used the proper paint codes.

Same here. Car looked fine to my untrained eye when I picked it up from the shop. When I got it home and it was sitting in a different light it was obvious the the bumper paint was not a perfect match to the body paint. I had to ask them to repaint it.

They repainted it and it was a perfect match (as far as I could tell).

The night I got it back, I drove to work and purposely parked 100 yards from the nearest car. Naturally, when I got off work, I found that someone had run into the same bumper.

At that point I bought a touchup pen and called it "good".

Last edited by Mister_Cee; 04-27-2018 at 03:40 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mister_Cee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mister_Cee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mister_Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:02 PM   #10
dummo
Master Member
dummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nice

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Cee View Post
1) I had to ask them to repaint it.

2) They repainted it.

3) The night I got it back.... I found that someone had run into the same bumper
I think the body shop was mad about having to redo the job and sent one of their spooks out to get revenge on your bumper and you... They have spooks (jerks paid to go out and drum up local business by vandalizing cars) just like the local Safelight Repair shop sends people out to bust side windows at night while all of us suckers are sleeping.

Yeah, I know, you think I'm nuts

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:26 PM   #11
Zeebins
Zeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Thanks for all the help everyone. I've pretty much decided that I'm not going to repaint the whole car, for now anyway. Instead I'll just get paint on what actually needs it.

I'm gonna sound like an idiot when I say this but, I forgot that last fall I bought a new front bumper to replace the current one. How does someone forget about a purchase that large? I have no idea, lol. Somehow I managed to not think about it all winter and only remembered it recently when thinking about my options. I do remember never getting around to putting it on though due to weather getting colder and never having the time to. Planning on getting that on next week.

For the rear bumper and cracked fender though, I'll probably take those to a local body shop to get repaired and painted. I know it would probably be easier to find a color matching fender to replace the cracked one, but my Saturn has a pinstripe on it and I kinda want to keep it. The rear bumper also isn't as bad as I thought it was. After being washed by the rain it looks somewhat decent. I'll still probably get that painted too though. Mainly cause I thought it would look cool if I could get the "Saturn" on the bumper painted either gold or silver, I haven't decided on the best color to match red yet.

You'll never catch me, not when I shift into, performance mode!
1997 SL2, 108K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:20 AM   #12
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL

I replaced about three of the panels on my 97 from junk yards with great results. (lucky if you can hit the sale days) I was just picky and only took ones that were in good shape. The thing about doing this is that these panels have "bleached out" in the sun, the same as your car so the match should be pretty good. In fact, probably as good as what a good painter could do. And the panels are cheap, they can be taken off easily enough and bolted to your car. I've even done a couple of bumpers on my car, albeit, they were just the black ones which I ended up painting. Now, if I could control those errant shopping carts in the parking lots, I'd be in great shape.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote