SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2018, 06:09 PM   #1
HiVuhltage
HiVuhltage is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR
Default I smell gas inside and out

First off, I'm no mechanic is that is why I am asking this. Now that we've got that out of the way, why does my 2008 XR smell like gas all the time. It's strongest after driving my car most of the day. Sometimes the smell will find it's way into car through the vents. I can't find any leaks anywhere. I have been told the fuel pump may need to need to be replaced, could that be it? Also my car will struggle (turn over) to start after sitting a while or in the morning, could that be related as well? Has anyone had a similar problem(s)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HiVuhltage's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HiVuhltage reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HiVuhltage is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2018, 08:51 PM   #2
mmtphoto
mmtphoto is a jewel in the roughmmtphoto is a jewel in the roughmmtphoto is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: I smell gas inside and out

You should really get that checked out, it sounds like a leaking fuel injector (hard starting) or possibly a fuel leak at the rail or a flexible line somewhere from the tank to the engine-no matter what i wouldn't mess with that without first finding out exactly what is up.

Fuel leaks are no joke, cars do start on fire often enough. Fuel pressure on a fuel injection unit is 50-60 psi so it can quickly get out of control around a hot engine. If it is a leaking injector, it will flood the engine and severely shorten the life of the catalytic converter, a very expensive repair and can do internal damage to the engine by washing oil off cylinder walls and diluting the oil with gas.

Park it until you know what you are dealing with, seriously.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mmtphoto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mmtphoto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mmtphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:12 PM   #3
explorerbigjon
explorerbigjon will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: I smell gas inside and out

I just replaced the fuel pump on my 08 XE for this very reason of smelling fuel. The feed line was cracked and bled fuel out, causing it to take longer to start, leaking fuel when it was pressurized, and causing it to smell. You won't find the fuel leaking onto the ground at this point because the feed line (assuming that it is cracked like mine was) is bleeding the fuel onto the tank and evaporating. I'm betting you have the same problem that I had.

Having it towed would be your best option to get your car to a shop.

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5-Sport tuning T10 wheels-Dynomax bullet/Borla ProXS-eBay intake-Pioneer Premier 12 shallow mount/Kicker CXA600.1
Upgrades coming!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to explorerbigjon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help explorerbigjon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
explorerbigjon is offline   Reply With Quote