SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2018, 12:42 AM   #1
Packrat1
Packrat1 is on a distinguished road

2001 SW2
Default Reverse slam?......and other issues

Ok, so for the past few days my sw2 has been acting weird. First, the S.e.s. light comes on, scanner showed a po410 code. Light went off the next day. 700 miles since then and still off. Next the motor mount bolts shook loose. Cleaned the bolt, sadded blue treadlock and reassembled. Today on my way home from work I noticed a somewhat rough engagement of reverse gear. Not sure if this is considered as a symptom of reverse slam or not, but it's appears to shutter in drive too. When it shifts it acts like it's going into neutral for a split second, then goes to the next gear. No ses light currently. Problem is intermittent. Was considering wolfmans cure for reverse slam using "hydra trans tune" Any thoughts? Hope the issue isn't the input shaft nut.

1995 Saturn SW2 5speed (retired @ 350,412 miles)

2001 Saturn SW2 (work in progress)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Packrat1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Packrat1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Packrat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2018, 07:04 AM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: Reverse slam?......and other issues

Sure, that cure process solves issues, but I would ask when was the last time the trans fluid was changed and a new spin on filter done?

It should be changed out at least every 30,000 miles, using ONLY Dexron III compatible fluid.

Secondly, what kind of heavy vibration loosens a TAM bolt/nut?
Sounds like you need to look at replacing the transmission TAM and the dogbone mounts also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:38 AM   #3
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Transmission fluid level should be checked.

A new filter and new fluid should be changed, if the car has been driven more than 30,000-miles or has gone more than 2-3 years since it was last changed.

The alternator output should be tested, to confirm that the electrical supply to the transmission, is at 14.2-14.4v coming from the battery. Anything below about 14.0v will cause shifting issues.

Symptoms of the input shaft nut will be a P0732, reverse slam/no reverse, and slamming gears on upshifting in drive.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:53 PM   #4
Packrat1

2001 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
Ok, so for the past few days my sw2 has been acting weird. First, the S.e.s. light comes on, scanner showed a po410 code. Light went off the next day. 700 miles since then and still off. Next the motor mount bolts shook loose. Cleaned the bolt, sadded blue treadlock and reassembled. Today on my way home from work I noticed a somewhat rough engagement of reverse gear. Not sure if this is considered as a symptom of reverse slam or not, but it's appears to shutter in drive too. When it shifts it acts like it's going into neutral for a split second, then goes to the next gear. No ses light currently. Problem is intermittent. Was considering wolfmans cure for reverse slam using "hydra trans tune" Any thoughts? Hope the issue isn't the input shaft nut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Sure, that cure process solves issues, but I would ask when was the last time the trans fluid was changed and a new spin on filter done?

It should be changed out at least every 30,000 miles, using ONLY Dexron III compatible fluid.

Secondly, what kind of heavy vibration loosens a TAM bolt/nut?
Sounds like you need to look at replacing the transmission TAM and the dogbone mounts also.
not sure when it was last changed, but is nice and pink. Bought the car about 2 years ago with 110k on the clock. At 130k I changed the filter while looking for a very slow trans leak. Currently sitting at 148k. Guess it's due despite being clean and highway driven. It "hydra trans tune" a good product to use? How much trans fluid for a drain and fill? So far, ive replaced the trans temp sensor and added a filter magnet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Packrat1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-18-2018, 03:52 PM   #5
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Color is subjective, but should be RED, not pink.
Not familiar with that additive, whenever I have done the Wolfmans' reverse cure (on several makes of cars and pickup trucks), I have added Lucas Trans Fix from Walmart ~$11.

First off, I would ditch any magnet, depending on who manufactured the trans filter you are using, it may block those drainage holes in the top of the filter.
Ditch IT and never put one back in, especially since you are having issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-18-2018, 08:27 PM   #6
Packrat1

2001 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Color is subjective, but should be RED, not pink.
Not familiar with that additive, whenever I have done the Wolfmans' reverse cure (on several makes of cars and pickup trucks), I have added Lucas Trans Fix from Walmart ~$11.

First off, I would ditch any magnet, depending on who manufactured the trans filter you are using, it may block those drainage holes in the top of the filter.
Ditch IT and never put one back in, especially since you are having issues.
I thought Lucas was thick stuff. Like cake batter thick. I know it helped my mother's '01 Toyota Sienna as it started to slip about every 25k miles. Works good for a slipping trans. Filter is a PowerTorque FK243. Magnet was on this side of the filter. How about a magnet on the top of the trans? Probably not much oil being slung up top, but I just feel better knowing there's a magnet grabbing some of the metal out of the oil. Trans shifted normally this morning. Started acting up again couple hours later.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2018, 11:31 PM   #7
Packrat1

2001 SW2

The slamming got worse last night. It's doing it forward and reverse. Limped it home 120 miles. 1-2, 2-3,3-4 shift all feel like I'm hitting a pothole. Guessing the input shaft nut is loose. Question, what causes it to get loose?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-21-2018, 06:00 AM   #8
toggenburg
Master Member

2001 SL1

Abusing the trans by jackrabbit starts like trying to 'patch out', and not keeping up with necessary trans fluid changes. The reverse slam is a symptom and if ignored long enough over time....
How many miles on it and how long have you owned it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-21-2018, 01:00 PM   #9
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Slam on all shifts makes me suspect the LP circuit/solenoid is bad. Check the fuse, then check the coil resistance (both easy to do). If nothing is obviously wrong with those, then use a gauge to check LP and verify if LP "stuck high" is the problem

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:15 PM   #10
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enoughCheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2

^^ Check this. If fuse in UHJB is good, the LP solenoid is suspect. Check YouTube for video on how to test resistance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:29 AM   #11
Packrat1

2001 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Slam on all shifts makes me suspect the LP circuit/solenoid is bad. Check the fuse, then check the coil resistance (both easy to do). If nothing is obviously wrong with those, then use a gauge to check LP and verify if LP "stuck high" is the problem
LP as in line pressure? Which circuit is this fuse in?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-29-2018, 12:33 AM   #12
Packrat1

2001 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
^^ Check this. If fuse in UHJB is good, the LP solenoid is suspect. Check YouTube for video on how to test resistance.
ok. Will look for video.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-29-2018, 09:35 AM   #13
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
The slamming got worse last night. It's doing it forward and reverse. Limped it home 120 miles. 1-2, 2-3,3-4 shift all feel like I'm hitting a pothole. Guessing the input shaft nut is loose. Question, what causes it to get loose?
The reverse slam causes the input shaft nut to loosen. It also causes you to lose reverse and generates a P0732 code for "Second Gear Incorrect Ratio/No Second Gear".

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:00 PM   #14
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, "LP" is line pressure. In the gen1 that fuse is labeled "TRS LP", I suspect your year is similar.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-11-2018, 10:01 PM   #15
Packrat1

2001 SW2

Update: replaced valve body. The slam seems to be gone. Shifts a tad firm, but not harsh. Only drove about a 1/2 mile. Hope there nothing to worry about. Also SES light came on. Shows a code po037. Seems like an odd coincidence to show up now, but will pick up a o2 sensor in the morning.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-12-2018, 12:27 AM   #16
billr
Master Member

You will need to drive it a while for the PCM to re-learn the shift parameters. There is a procedure to do this re-learn quickly, but just driving for a while will do it. Just 5-10 miles should be enough, but you will have to be going at varying speeds that require shifting into all the gears several times.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-15-2018, 05:26 PM   #17
Packrat1

2001 SW2

Ok. Drove about 15 miles today. Seems to be back to normal, but check engine light persists. Replaced downstream o2 sensor and cleared the code, but came back right away. What else would trigger a po037?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-15-2018, 05:38 PM   #18
toggenburg
Master Member

2001 SL1

I have no experience with that heater code, however; back in 2009 while addressing that code on a '98, OldNuc said,(P0037 Heater Circuit Low Voltage)

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=136349

"You can try disconnecting and reconnecting the plug. Its located on the rear cross tube of the cradle, right behind the steering rack. There is a connector lock pin in it that has to come out before it will unplug."

Last edited by toggenburg; 08-15-2018 at 05:45 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!