SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2018, 07:35 PM   #1
JohnSnow
JohnSnow is on a distinguished road

Default Folding back seat stuck - seatbelt in latch

Hello everyone

I recently bought an 08 Astra XR3 and I noticed after buying it that on one side, the back seat is stuck in the vertical position because the seat belt is stuck in the latching mechanism. Pressing the button to fold the seat is very difficult, but even when it is fully depressed, the seat does not come free. This is very frustrating as the seat will not fold down, and the back seat can't safely take a passenger either. Worst of both worlds.

Anyone know of any tricks to resolve this problem?

I took a picture to show what I mean - not sure if you can see much on it though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stuck latch.jpg (80.8 KB, 14 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JohnSnow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JohnSnow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JohnSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2018, 08:15 PM   #2
AstraFasta
AstraFasta will become famous soon enoughAstraFasta will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Folding back seat stuck - seatbelt in latch

That happened to me also.

Can't remember how I got it out but think I lowered the other seat and gently moved the stuck seat and belt and it worked out. Forcing it will not help matters.

I think the bottom cushions also tilt forward so that trick might help you. Can't remember how to do that either but maybe there is are two plastic loops at the bottom of the back seat cushion where the rug meets. Do a search for how that is done. Not sure if that will help, however.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:35 PM   #3
FreedomSoftware
FreedomSoftware will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

This happened to me actually last week. I just kind of did the whole brute force thing, I pushed the button down all the way and just shook the crap out the seat until it came out.

'08 Saturn Astra
-Debadge
-Vauxhall Grille
-Thule Roof Rack (and wind fairing)
-1.25" Lowered
-Windows Tint all around
-JVC Head unit
-Dual 12" Subs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FreedomSoftware's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FreedomSoftware reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FreedomSoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:18 PM   #4
kikastra
kikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR

This has also happened to me a couple of times. There doesn't seem to be an exact solution. Just some brute force and a few well placed swear words seems to free it.

2009 Saturn Astra XR3 5-Speed - 75,000KM

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kikastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kikastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kikastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:50 PM   #5
PaulR
PaulR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSnow View Post
Hello everyone

I recently bought an 08 Astra XR3 and I noticed after buying it that on one side, the back seat is stuck in the vertical position because the seat belt is stuck in the latching mechanism. Pressing the button to fold the seat is very difficult, but even when it is fully depressed, the seat does not come free. This is very frustrating as the seat will not fold down, and the back seat can't safely take a passenger either. Worst of both worlds.

Anyone know of any tricks to resolve this problem?

I took a picture to show what I mean - not sure if you can see much on it though
I have had my left rear seat back jammed like that for the last 6 months on my XE POS. Must have put the seat back up with the belt in the latch like that over a dozen times in the last 5 years. But I really did do it this last time. Hey, thanks for giving me the inspiration begin another struggle with it.

PaulR

2008 XR3 5 speed, heated seats, leather, premium sound , 18" wheels, center armrest
2008 XE5 5 speed, heated seats, panoramic moonroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:24 AM   #6
JohnSnow
JohnSnow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
I have had my left rear seat back jammed like that for the last 6 months on my XE POS. Must have put the seat back up with the belt in the latch like that over a dozen times in the last 5 years. But I really did do it this last time. Hey, thanks for giving me the inspiration begin another struggle with it.
Hope that went well. I myself was inspired by the other answers on brute force and eventually wiggled it free.

In fact I did not tell the whole story in my first post. It came with one of the seats like this, but I didn't notice until I did it to the other side and I looked over to see how it's normally supposed to work--then I saw the other side was like that too. The side that came that way actually came free much more easily just by pushing the button really hard and pulling on the seat (I got into the back seat for better leverage). But the side I did to myself was really stubborn. Then I was inspired by a mix of AstraFasta saying to gently maneuver the belt, and others saying to brute force it. With the button pushed all the way, I could sort of wiggle the belt a bit and eventually it came free enough to release the seat.

However on the down side, the latch has apparently been damaged, and the seat can now wiggle about an inch without coming free of the latch... I think this is a hard lesson in always remembering to move those belts before putting the seat back up. I doubt I will forget now

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JohnSnow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JohnSnow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JohnSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:17 PM   #7
PaulR
PaulR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSnow View Post
Hope that went well. I myself was inspired by the other answers on brute force and eventually wiggled it free.

In fact I did not tell the whole story in my first post. It came with one of the seats like this, but I didn't notice until I did it to the other side and I looked over to see how it's normally supposed to work--then I saw the other side was like that too. The side that came that way actually came free much more easily just by pushing the button really hard and pulling on the seat (I got into the back seat for better leverage). But the side I did to myself was really stubborn. Then I was inspired by a mix of AstraFasta saying to gently maneuver the belt, and others saying to brute force it. With the button pushed all the way, I could sort of wiggle the belt a bit and eventually it came free enough to release the seat.

However on the down side, the latch has apparently been damaged, and the seat can now wiggle about an inch without coming free of the latch... I think this is a hard lesson in always remembering to move those belts before putting the seat back up. I doubt I will forget now
Hey, I did get the belt free and it was easier than I thought. I just pulled the seat back forward enough to slip the belt out of the side of the latch. It was kind of like how you did it. But wait, now I notice there is something else wrong with the POS. When I open the left rear door, and the driver's window is down, the driver's window will roll up by itself. I love this car! See the full description of this little fiasco in another one of my posts.

PaulR

2008 XR3 5 speed, heated seats, leather, premium sound , 18" wheels, center armrest
2008 XE5 5 speed, heated seats, panoramic moonroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote