SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2018, 10:32 AM   #1
coolengineer
coolengineer is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1
Default What would damage a power steering pump

Hi everyone, yesterday I got my 99 sc1 stuck in the snow several times, due to the inclement weather that northern michigan has been getting lately, and I noticed that my power steering pump was making loud noises when I was turning tight corners while moving slowly. The pump was not making any noises as far as I was aware before yesterday. So was just wondering what would cause a power steering pump to go bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to coolengineer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help coolengineer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
coolengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2018, 10:52 AM   #2
SLfun
Advanced Member
SLfun will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
2006 ION Red Line
Default Re: What would damage a power steering pump

Check to see that there is not something jammed in suspension that the
pump is fighting against. The pumps are hard to kill, so hopefully it is something obvious.

Is the fluid level ok?

My 96 SL2 and 98 SL1 have joined together to become one. So I guess I now have a 1996/8
SL1-2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLfun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLfun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:03 AM   #3
coolengineer
coolengineer is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1

It turned extremely easily when I did some donuts in my college parking lot. It only made noises below 10 mph while turning hard over in either direction. But, I will definitely check for obstructions and I will check the fluid as well. But, I mean I spent a little more than an hour revving my engine to get the car to rock back and forth. I don't know if I can damage anything on the engine doing that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to coolengineer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help coolengineer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
coolengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:38 AM   #4
SRGW
Advanced Member
SRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL1
Post Re: What would damage a power steering pump

Check to see if the pulley is cracked or broken around the center, as it is made out of plastic. Had this happen on my 1995 SL1.

1995 SL1 235,000 Well Oiled!!
1997 SL1 63,890 Just A Teenager!!
CHECK YOUR OIL!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SRGW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SRGW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SRGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:52 PM   #5
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

If the pump is whining and noisey, either the pump shaft bearings are starting to fail or the fluid level is low.

This is a sealed system, so the fluid can deteriorate and get low, unexpectedly, but this is very rare.

It is more common for a slow leak to cause a low fluid level.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #6
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to all

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

Are you still running the same power steering fluid from 20 years ago? If so, flushing it out with new fluid would be a good start.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote