SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2018, 10:20 PM   #1
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Hot front brakes

For years people on this forum have speculated that an internal binding happens in the front brake flex line that causes our overheating symptoms (warped rotors, hot spots, premature pad wear). I had those symptoms for years. Earlier last year I suction bled both front brakes. Since then my pads still have lots left in them, no hot spots, and no pulsing. Normally this time of year I'd already be replacing the brakes.

So its just one data point but I suspect the cure has more to do with flushing the fluid after changing the lines that actually changing the lines. At least its an inexpensive solution you may want to try.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2018, 09:56 AM   #2
Rivernut
Rivernut will become famous soon enough

2003 VUE 3.0L
1996 SL2
Default Re: Hot front brakes

I believe I had the original post here about this as it happened on more than once on our 2003 Vue. I believe it is just a front disc brake issue. The cause was actually not the hose itself but the bracket holding the hose. The bracket fits around the hose and is very rust prone. The expansion of the rust exerts pressure on the rubber line, much like a boa constrictor suffocating its prey. The tell-tale signs are dragging front brake(s), hot brakes and rim, and pressure relief only by cracking the bleeder. It is a good idea when doing a brake job to open the bleeder and purge the lower (usually contaminated) fluid out as the caliper piston is compressed into its bore. If the fluid is pushed back up the line it may gunk-up the ABS module which can lead to more expensive repairs. Brake fluid is supposed to be replaced every couple of years anyway as it absorbs moisture and gets soupy with rust. So itís a good idea to draw fluid out periodically, but It wonít prevent the external constriction of the line from the bracket corroding.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rivernut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rivernut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rivernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:01 AM   #3
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
For years people on this forum have speculated that an internal binding happens in the front brake flex line that causes our overheating symptoms (warped rotors, hot spots, premature pad wear).
No speculation Robert. It's a proven fact that the hoses are to blame. Those hose support clamps were over-crimped at the factory . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...6&d=1405617590

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:16 AM   #4
mlc5
mlc5 is a jewel in the roughmlc5 is a jewel in the roughmlc5 is a jewel in the rough

I think it's safe to say that if both sides of the brakes are experiencing the same problem.. then it's unlikely that both hoses would fail at exactly the same time... and then it more likely to be related to fluid issues/master cyclinder, etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mlc5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mlc5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mlc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:09 PM   #5
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
No speculation Robert. It's a proven fact that the hoses are to blame. Those hose support clamps were over-crimped at the factory . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...6&d=1405617590
Why would that not manifest itself immediately?
The reason I decided to try the flush was because it did seem odd that both sides would start having the same issue.

Last year I bled the brakes on my aircraft and found it also made a huge difference. I just wish bleeding was as easy as it is on cars. But I suspect that is because aircraft hydraulic fluid gets gooy over time. DOT 3 doesn't seem to do that.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-16-2018, 01:36 PM   #6
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
Why would that not manifest itself immediately?
Did you look at my photo? It's pretty obvious that clamp was squeezing the line closed. Apparently they weren't completely squeezed shut from the git-go. Maybe the rubber swells over time until it closes the line the rest of the way(?). Both my '03 and '07 didn't experience dragging brakes until they had over 100k miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:38 PM   #7
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
Did you look at my photo? It's pretty obvious that clamp was squeezing the line closed. Apparently they weren't completely squeezed shut from the git-go. Maybe the rubber swells over time until it closes the line the rest of the way(?). Both my '03 and '07 didn't experience dragging brakes until they had over 100k miles.
That's why I asked the question. The picture seems to indicate a condition that would have existed from the initial install.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-25-2018, 06:51 AM   #8
termite
termite is a jewel in the roughtermite is a jewel in the roughtermite is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

I see from looking at the picture, how the rust grew around the hose to squeeze it shut. I wonder if you could use a large flat screwdriver to pry the clamped metal open enough to have the lines open so you don't have to go to the trouble of replacing them.

It's GOOD to have a spare!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to termite's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help termite reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:51 AM   #9
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by termite View Post
I see from looking at the picture, how the rust grew around the hose to squeeze it shut. I wonder if you could use a large flat screwdriver to pry the clamped metal open enough to have the lines open so you don't have to go to the trouble of replacing them.
Termite ... I'm with you regarding corrosion build-up between clamp and hose eventually reducing/blocking brake fluid flow to and from caliper.

The clamps are made from really tough stuff and bending to relieve pressure is not a practical solution.

I take care of four family Vue's (05, 06 and two 07) and have replaced both front hoses on all four.

BTW ... the hoses reduce flow over extended period of time which could contribute to increased problems with worn pads, warped rotors and failed wheel bearings.

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:34 PM   #10
Tobacconist
Tobacconist is on a distinguished road

Just replace both flex lines. They are so inexpensive and easy enough to replace. I just did them last month when I did the rotors and calipers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tobacconist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tobacconist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tobacconist is offline   Reply With Quote