SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2018, 10:32 PM   #1
tjj300
tjj300 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Wheel bearing problem?

OK. I've been getting an intermittent problem. About 5 times now, for no discernible reason, I'll get a pretty noticeable shimmy in the steering wheel. Then it goes away, again for no reason. Last time I noticed it, the right side front brake was also dragging. Today, again, no problem. No shimmy, brakes are fine. My mechanic said it sounds like a wheel bearing. Anybody else ever experience this? Between episodes the car drives fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tjj300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tjj300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tjj300 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2018, 11:11 AM   #2
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Wheel bearing problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjj300 View Post
Anybody else ever experience this? Between episodes the car drives fine.
Yes - I had this happen on my '07. Turned out to be bad brake hose. A dragging brake pad would heat up and warp the rotor which caused some serious shimmy. Maybe your problem is intermittent because the trapped brake line pressure bleeds off enough to reduce brake pad drag? Yours definitely doesn't sound like wheel bearing symptoms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:38 AM   #3
tjj300

2004 VUE 2.2L

Was it the flexible hose that goes from the brake line to the caliper?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tjj300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-16-2018, 11:49 AM   #4
mlc5
mlc5 is a jewel in the roughmlc5 is a jewel in the roughmlc5 is a jewel in the rough

when it happens.. check the caliper/rotor.. it will be really, really hot if the hose is an issue.. or if the caliper is freezing.....
I would be incline to think a bearing problem would be noticeable all the time.. . and may be more or less pronounced when making a turn...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mlc5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mlc5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mlc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:01 PM   #5
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjj300 View Post
Was it the flexible hose that goes from the brake line to the caliper?
Yes - I've had them all fail on my '03 and '07. The first sign of a bad wheel bearing is the humming or droning sound. They typically don't cause any shimmy or vibration.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...6&d=1405617590

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:23 PM   #6
mlc5
mlc5 is a jewel in the roughmlc5 is a jewel in the roughmlc5 is a jewel in the rough

they can cause some bad vibrations.. depending on if the caliper is in the open or closed position when the hose stops the flow ...
No different then what a frozen caliper feels like.. when the piston is locked against the rotor.. causing heat buildup, etc..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mlc5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mlc5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mlc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:56 PM   #7
stbvue
stbvue is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Vue is known for having bad bearings. Heck ours had 2 bad ones the first week after buying it new. You will know if its bad, you get roaring, humming sound constantly.

I dont mind things that go bump in the night as long as they arent in my VUE!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stbvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stbvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stbvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:28 AM   #8
Tobacconist
Tobacconist is on a distinguished road

To see if you have a bad wheel bearing; jack up one corner and spin the wheel. Put your hands one the wheel and it should feel nice and smooth as it rotates. If the bearing is bad you will feel a noticeable roughness and may even hear a grinding noise when you spin it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tobacconist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tobacconist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tobacconist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:51 AM   #9
tjj300

2004 VUE 2.2L

I have to thank Chazberry for the brake hose suggestion. That seemed to be it. Swapped it out and haven't had the problem since.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!