SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2018, 08:55 PM   #1
BigStuck
BigStuck has a spectacular aura aboutBigStuck has a spectacular aura aboutBigStuck has a spectacular aura about

Default Replaced rotors and pads -- still have a squeal

So I replaced my rotors and pads (they needed it) on my 2002 SL2 and I'm still getting a squeal when I'm nearing a stop. I don't get the noise immediately when I press the breaks...like I said its mostly when coming to a complete stop. Same noise I had before I changed everything. I should also say that I have a bad wheel bearing but I wouldn't think that would cause a high squeal. I'm puzzled.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BigStuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BigStuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BigStuck is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2018, 11:30 PM   #2
Jim@HiTek
Jim@HiTek is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1
Default Re: Replaced rotors and pads -- still have a squeal

Did you use the anti-squeal grease that comes with most pads?

2001 Saturn SL1 SOHC
1.9L, Basic Transport

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jim@HiTek's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jim@HiTek reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jim@HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:22 AM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

From my days as a counterman at two different stores this type of complaint was heard with some frequency. Squeeling results from metal on metal vibration/movement and it typically relates to disc brake hardware. Be sure that all hardware parts which require lubrication have had it applied correctly. This is easy to overlook.

Quality brake pads for your car come with some type of shim attached to the back of the pad for noise reduction and many include the necessary hardware. It's highly recommended that such brake hardware be replaced whenever the disc brakes - front or rear - require pad replacement.

So, was the
1) brake hardware replaced, and
2) did any points requiring lubrication receive it?

288,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:53 AM   #4
BigStuck
BigStuck has a spectacular aura aboutBigStuck has a spectacular aura aboutBigStuck has a spectacular aura about

Hey thanks for the replies everyone. I just bought the basic Duralast pads/rotors. They did not come with any extra hardware/grease. I'll lube them up and see if that helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BigStuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-16-2018, 12:47 PM   #5
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a jewel in the roughMacgyver is a jewel in the roughMacgyver is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

You should get the hardware kit that includes the anti rattle clips and caliper boots - it's usually $5 or so.

Replace the clips and remove the old boots. I typically, run a drill through the side of the caliper bracket which has the boot that goes through the entire assembly. The drill bit cleans out the corrosion and rust that accumulates and allows the caliper pin to slide more freely. A sticking caliper pin can cause unexpected squeaks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:41 PM   #6
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Macgyver's point is correct. He's provided good advice!

Please remember that there are some parts which require a lubricant and others which do not. Placing lubricant where it doesn't belong will, in all likelihood, lead to unforeseen brake problems. If you're not referring to a repair manual of some kind ask for advice here as to which items require lubricant, or (in no order of importance)

1) go online and purchase a subscription to http://alldatadiy.com/;
2) purchase a Haynes or Chilton manual;
3) search within local libraries as some do have automotive repair manuals.

4) Purchase new front disc brake hardware. Do not reuse the old parts. (Just in case you're considering this, lubricating the back of the brake pads is not recommended.)

288,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 04-16-2018 at 08:51 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:35 AM   #7
BigStuck

I'm gonna replace the brake hardware this week sometime and I'll report back!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!