SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2018, 06:20 PM   #1
callmesov
callmesov is on a distinguished road

Default 2001 SL1 Window Switch

I've got a 2001 SL1 and the power windows are giving me a ******* of a time. I bought the car for my mom a month and a half ago and it works great, but from the time we bought it the windows were an issue.

The driver side window never went down and the drive side rear window only went down every once in a while. Apparently while she was driving to work this morning the drivers side window rolled down (the motor kicked on, it didn't fall down into the door) all on its own and now she can't get it back up.

How hard are these switches to take apart and clean? I know the module just pops out of the center console because I messed with it a little bit when we first bought the car but that's all I did. Had to use a pair of pliers to remove the cable plug for the mirror controls.

I'm assuming it's the switch that is the issue since the damn window rolled down under its own power, randomly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to callmesov's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help callmesov reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
callmesov is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2018, 10:30 AM   #2
Telyx
Telyx is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
Default Re: 2001 SL1 Window Switch

They are easy to remove and replace but a bit of a bear to take apart and clean. I managed to do it once with my (now ex-)wife's switch cluster and that kept it going for about a year or so. Next time, I found one at a salvage yard and just changed it out. That may have taken 2 minutes total if that.

The little flat metal "springs"/contact leaves are probably all carboned up as are the contact points, so scrape the carbon off as best you can and reassemble carefully.

RIP my 2002 SL1, totaled 9/18/2012... found its replacement (2002 SL) 9/26/12, traded it in 5/10/2018 (199,604 miles).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Telyx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Telyx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Telyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:50 AM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: 2001 SL1 Window Switch

Easy to take apart, but hard to take apart (depending on how much you take it apart) without losing a bunch of small parts, and hard to put together properly.

You can take it apart enough to spray electronics cleaner into it, and I would stop there. Beyond that, there are small springs and tiny copper strips that are hard to put together. I know I posted pics within the past year but I can't find them

I just ended up getting a new switch pod for a buck or two at teh junkyard.

If you want to get fancy
http://sixthsphere.com/showthread.ph...h-Installation

some discussion
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=229610

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote