SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2018, 02:10 PM   #1
Rez
Rez is on a distinguished road

1996 SW2
Default Power steering variable assist swap

I have a 96 SW2 that I’m replacing the power steering pump on. Autozone only has the pump without the variable assist connector so I need to re use my old one. Any one ever swapped one of these before?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rez's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rez reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2018, 02:40 PM   #2
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2
Default Re: Power steering variable assist swap

The non-variable assist pump can be used, in place of the NV7 speed variable assist. Unplugging the sensor will NOT code the PCM(except 1991-1992 Saturn S-Series).

That sensor controls a valve, which changes the P/S line pressure, and is part of the pump assembly.

The rebuilt pumps have a terrible reputation, and hopefully OldNuc can explain why.

Get a used pump from a yard:

www.car-part.com

Like most other things, the factory-installed pumps are of higher quality than the rebuilt ones.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:22 PM   #3
Rez

1996 SW2

I could pull one at a junkyard tomorrow. But one with miles on it would be better than a re man? Not saying I don’t believe you, but that’s interesting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rez's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rez reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2018, 08:59 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Look up reviews of ANY "re-manufactured" pump for ANY vehicle...EVER made. At best they replace the consumables (O-Rings & other seals) then ship it out...at worse they clean the grease off and ship it out. Either way, the wear items like bearings and pump valving stay with the pump and never get replaced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:01 PM   #5
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Installation instructions are simple.
1) Open trash can
2) insert new pump in can

I’ve tried so many “high quality” new pumps and they all were garbage. The original pumps almost never fail so what you get at a junk yard will be 100x’s the quality of anything you can buy new.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:19 PM   #6
Rez

1996 SW2

Good to know. Guess I'm going to the junkyard tomorrow and getting my money back from the other pumps I bought.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rez's Reputation
Old 03-19-2018, 07:50 AM   #7
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
Installation instructions are simple.
1) Open trash can
2) insert new pump in can

I’ve tried so many “high quality” new pumps and they all were garbage. The original pumps almost never fail so what you get at a junk yard will be 100x’s the quality of anything you can buy new.

-Robert
I remember all the problems you had, with rebuilt pumps, when you had to replace your pump. If I recall, you went through 2 or 3 of them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-19-2018, 07:54 AM   #8
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez View Post
I could pull one at a junkyard tomorrow. But one with miles on it would be better than a re man? Not saying I don’t believe you, but that’s interesting.
In the case of P/S pumps, yes. Fetch covered the details, as apparently they don't actually replace the shaft bearings when they rebuild them.

I usually recommend used parts, because I have learned with my 1995 SC2, that Saturn really did most stock parts better than aftermarket has ever done them.(except for the pistons, of course....but that is another debate for another day....)

My family owns a small wrecking yard, and over the years, I have found used parts also tend to have less "fitment" issues than some aftermarket parts do, as well. Of course, these are generalizations that are not always true for every situation or car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!