SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2018, 11:52 AM   #1
Robert1969
Robert1969 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Lower control arm bushings and struts

Hello, I don't have a picture to show... but the lower control arm bushings on my 2004 Vue 3.5 are coming apart and not looking good at all. I found replacement bushings on the net pretty cheap...
https://tinyurl.com/ycua797c

Can anyone tell me if this is easy to get the old bushing out and put the new bushing into the sleeve? I would rather not replace the whole control arm assembly as its now a 14 yrs old vehicle and other parts look ok and the ball joints are fine.

Also, can anyone tell me what is the service life for the OEM struts and shocks on this vehicle. I have 153k and it looks like the original are still installed. Is it way past time to replace?

Thanks for any advice.

Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Robert1969's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Robert1969 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Robert1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2018, 10:17 AM   #2
Vue6
Vue6 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Lower control arm bushings and struts

...IF I WERE YOU , I'D BITE THE BULLET AND GET A MOOG SET OF LOWER CONTROL ARMS , MINE WERE ABOUT 160 OR SO FROM FROM ROCK AUTO , THEY MADE A BIG DIFF. IN RIDE QUALITY, THEN GET AN ALIGNMENT,JUST MY.02, DC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:37 AM   #3
Robert1969

2004 VUE 3.5L

Well... I can certainly appreciate what your saying, but again it's 14 yrs old, I don't know how long I want to drive it. I also have a long grocery list of other repairs I have to do including new tires and engine mounts.

I appreciate the reply and all, but your saying this like what I'm asking is some king of MacGyver way to fix this. Since the part is sold like this and available from multiple manufacturers, it seems it is considered a legitimate way to take care of the problem.

I am sure the new arm would give better performance, but I am not looking for that in this vehicle. Do you know about the original question? Is it easy enough to get the new bushing into the sleeve?

Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Robert1969 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-20-2018, 06:14 AM   #4
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

You would need to rig up 2 large sockets, some washers, nuts and a long screw to force the old one out and the new one in. Or take to a place with a press.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:15 PM   #5
Vue6
Vue6 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

...TO ME THE BUSHINGS DON'T SEEM TO LAST , I'VE ACTUALLY REPLACED THE BUSHINGS IN MY ARMS WITH GM ONES, AS WAS MENTIONED ABOVE YOU NEED A SOCKET AND A GOOD VICE, OR A FRIEND WITH A PRESS TO REPLACE THE SMALLER BUSHING. MY 06' VUE HAS 95,000 MILES ON IT NOW AND I JUST DID THE LOWER CONTROL ARMS , THE OLD ARMS STILL LOOK DECENT ,BUT THE BUSHINGS WERE SHOT AGAIN, AND I DID'T WANT TO KEEP GOIN ON THE ORIGINAL BALL JOINTS. THE MOOG ONES AT LEAST HAVE GREASABLE FITTINGS, HOPE THAT HELPS, DC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:24 AM   #6
Robert1969

2004 VUE 3.5L

Ok thanks for the replies. So I need to have some installation equipment for this. I will check with the various rental a tool programs from the local auto parts stores.

Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!