SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2018, 05:38 AM   #1
Korerat
Korerat is on a distinguished road

Default 02 SL1 stereo change help

My stereo died last summer and I've been driving in silence ever since. I went out and bought a $20 unit from Wal-Mart just so I could have something. When I popped out the old one, it was also aftermarket, I saw that it was installed by matching wires and taping. So an adapter was out of the question. I cut out the old wires, and began to match them to the new unit. Using the wire schematic I found on this forum I matched up all the speakers easily.

My new unit has Ignition, Memory, Ground, Remote Turn-On. I don't have anything for Remote Turn-On and Ground was simple. Then I matched the RADIO(IGN) and RADIO(BAT) respectively.

The car started, radio worked but no sound. When turning off the car I'd get a blurt of sound out of the speakers, and by playing with the balance/fade discovered that only the left rear would remain silent. Thinking there might be an issue with that speaker I checked it, but the wires seemed like the were in good shape.

I unhooked everything and redid it all with the same results.

Also twice in the four days that I dealt with this, the car would refuse to start, so I'm pretty sure there was a short somewhere. So I made sure that all the wires were taped up and that nothing was touching what it shouldn't.

Here's the wire schematic:
saturnfans.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16088&d=1250784847

Here's my stereo manual:
dualav.com/support/manuals/xrm47bt.pdf

Am I missing something?
Do I need to double some of the wires?
Is this a defective stereo?
Am I eternally stuck with music-less driving?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Korerat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Korerat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Korerat is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2018, 07:42 AM   #2
SRGW
SRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of light

1995 SL1
1997 SL1
Post Re: 02 SL1 stereo change help

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48201&d=1476824376 . Use a AA battery across 2 speaker wires tap the battery and you should hear a clicking sound from the speaker. This way you know which wires go to the speaker and the speaker works.

1995 SL1 234,300 Well Oiled!!
1997 SL1 63,180 Just A Teenager!!
CHECK YOUR OIL!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SRGW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SRGW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SRGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:55 PM   #3
Korerat
Korerat is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 02 SL1 stereo change help

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRGW View Post
saturnfans.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48201&d=1476824376 .
That's the same schematic that I've been using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRGW View Post
Use a AA battery across 2 speaker wires tap the battery and you should hear a clicking sound from the speaker. This way you know which wires go to the speaker and the speaker works.
I did this and discovered that I all the speakers work.

Connected everything together, and it has no power. Tried both orange wires separately and together, all provided no power.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Korerat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Korerat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Korerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:02 PM   #4
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Go to a junkyard and get the factory radio harness, out of the same year Saturn S-Series. Wire that into your butchered harness(I absolutely loathe people trying save a few bucks by butchering the factory harness plugs. Just buy the adapter, will ya!? And no, that is not directed at you, specifically, OP)

This will allow you to use the adapter, which will prevent shorts and trying to use a wiring schematic.

I had butchered plugs for all 4 of my speakers, and needless to say, I went straight to a junkyard and got a 1996 SC2 ripped apart in no time for a set of factory speaker plugs, then went and ordered the harness adapters from Sears online.

Use www.car-part.com to source a factory radio. If they have the radio, there is a probable chance it is still in the car. Some yards pull radios(to get them out of the weather). Some yards don't, and leave them in the car.

If it has a factory radio in the car, it has a factory harness plug you can splice into your car. Makes it a LOT easier to color-match factory harness, to factory harness plug, than to match factory harness to aftermarket stereo.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:27 PM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

^ ^ ^ +1 on butchered wires and using the right harness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korerat View Post
M When I popped out the old one, it was also aftermarket, I saw that it was installed by matching wires and taping. So an adapter was out of the question. ?
Meaning teh wires were twisted together and taped? If you did the same thing, you have no guarantee taht you have a good electrical connection anywhere

You have teh wires connected like this?

Car - - - -> stereo

Yellow --> Red wire
Orange -> Yellow wire

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:36 AM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Not sure if this differently formatted wiring guide will help or not but I'll include it anyway: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...WZ2YUdpOVdNNlE

If you don't have the factory connector on the car side of the harness you should use a volt-meter to check for power on the power wires and verify the ground wire works (or your grounding point if not using the factory ground wire).

The JVC unit I put in my truck loves to mute the sound if I hit a button the wrong way or at the wrong time...I usually end up changing through the various source's before figuring it out...lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote