SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2018, 04:00 AM   #1
Commeatus
Commeatus is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2
1997 SW2
Default wagon rear seat swap questions

First, apparently the 1st gen wagon rear seats fold flat. true?
Second, can I reasonably swap them into my gen2? I'm pretty handy but I don't have access to a grinder/metalworking tools.

I dug deep in the search results but I can't find answers. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Commeatus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Commeatus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Commeatus is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2018, 09:05 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: wagon rear seat swap questions

The S-Series never had fold flat seats. They fold down sure, but not flat or anywhere near flat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 02:08 PM   #3
Commeatus

1998 SW2
1997 SW2

I got my hopes up

I'd still be interested in getting rid of the bar on the seatbacks: I spend a lot of time hauling stuff and the flexibility of independent seats would be a lifesaver. I'm usually driving with the rears folded anyway so the side-impact safety is moot. do the seatbacks interchange?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Commeatus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2018, 02:26 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

The latch is in a different place on the sedan seat-backs than the wagons, the bottoms are identical.

I don't remember a bar behind the seat backs on a '97 SW2 but I found out real freaking quick the useable extra cargo room is just as fake as the flat-folding rear seats and effectively traded it in for a "smaller" Impreza 2.5TS that actually had more cargo room.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:37 PM   #5
Commeatus

1998 SW2
1997 SW2

my old 97 sw2 had the bar, as does my current 98.

to better phrase my question, are all generations of wagon rear seatbacks interchangeable? is there any weirdness needed to drop gen1 wagon seatbacks into a gen2 wagon? no sedans or coupes involved.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-17-2018, 05:49 PM   #6
Zeebins
Zeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the roughZeebins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

I may not be remembering this correctly but if you never plan on actually using the back seats, I'm pretty sure that if you remove the cushion that you sit on it will allow the back to fold down flat, or at least closer to flat

Feeling 22
1997 SL2, 109K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:06 AM   #7
Mister_Cee
Mister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2

"I'm pretty sure that if you remove the cushion that you sit on it will allow the back to fold down flat, or at least closer to flat"

'96 SW2 MT

I've considered going that route but never got around to trying it. Other than the fact that I've just procrastinated doing it, another reason I never tried is that I don't know how much road noise damping the rear cushion provides. With my luck the seat backs would fold flat but the trade-off would be that cabin noise would be noisier than the dickens.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mister_Cee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mister_Cee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mister_Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:32 AM   #8
Commeatus

1998 SW2
1997 SW2

Yeah, without the seat cushion it's close enough to flat but I can't give up the utility. I found a gen1 wagon in my local pick n pull (it might be the same gen1 I pulled the valve cover gasket from a few weeks ago!) so I'll spend some quality time with its seats when I get a chance and report back. Wish me luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-19-2018, 08:58 AM   #9
ErikTande
ErikTande will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commeatus View Post
Yeah, without the seat cushion it's close enough to flat but I can't give up the utility. I found a gen1 wagon in my local pick n pull (it might be the same gen1 I pulled the valve cover gasket from a few weeks ago!) so I'll spend some quality time with its seats when I get a chance and report back. Wish me luck!
I'd really like to know if that works as well, keep us posted!

http://www.youtube.com/velocitylabs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ErikTande's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ErikTande reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ErikTande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:50 PM   #10
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Check out hein's 2nd gen "shaggin' wagon"

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156776

you can use reflectix or carpet padding for sound insulation, if needed

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:06 PM   #11
Commeatus

1998 SW2
1997 SW2

Swap complete! all wagon rear seatbacks seem to be more or less interchangeable.

The specifics: gen2/3 seatbacks have bracing pegs on either side that block gen1 seats and must be unscrewed with a t50 torx.
the gen1 seats use a long metal peg with a plastic clip to secure them near the doors. the gen2/3 pegs are much shorter. you can use the gen1 pegs but it's a real hassle. all the pegs unscrew with a t30 torx.
the gen1 seats are around 2 inches thinner towards the top and although they don't fold completely flat, they're noticeably closer to level!

other than that, it was pretty painless! thanks for the help, everyone, and the pics from the swaggin wagon thread were actually pretty helpful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-22-2018, 07:00 PM   #12
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

I have a 1997 SW2 and it has that goofy brace between the two seats. I believe that brace was also related to meeting some federal standards for reducing side impact incursion and stiffness for 1997+ model years. I think there are also some metal pins in the door that mate with the door frame as part of the changes.

Anyway, that brace is a real kludge job, it squeaks a lot and is balky to operate.

If you could post some pictures of your swap and the latch/peg replacements, that would be nice!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:21 AM   #13
ErikTande

Quote:
Swap complete! all wagon rear seatbacks seem to be more or less interchangeable.

The specifics: gen2/3 seatbacks have bracing pegs on either side that block gen1 seats and must be unscrewed with a t50 torx.
the gen1 seats use a long metal peg with a plastic clip to secure them near the doors. the gen2/3 pegs are much shorter. you can use the gen1 pegs but it's a real hassle. all the pegs unscrew with a t30 torx.
the gen1 seats are around 2 inches thinner towards the top and although they don't fold completely flat, they're noticeably closer to level!

other than that, it was pretty painless! thanks for the help, everyone, and the pics from the swaggin wagon thread were actually pretty helpful.
Pics!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ErikTande reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-29-2018, 03:32 PM   #14
Commeatus

1998 SW2
1997 SW2

Three more posts and I'll link an album!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-29-2018, 03:34 PM   #15
Commeatus

1998 SW2
1997 SW2

Almost there!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-29-2018, 03:37 PM   #16
Commeatus

1998 SW2
1997 SW2

Pics next post

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-29-2018, 03:39 PM   #17
Commeatus

1998 SW2
1997 SW2

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=78f1ecf333

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-30-2018, 02:15 PM   #18
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Very cool, thanks!

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:45 PM   #19
ErikTande

Wow that's awesome, thanks for the pics. I need to find a gen1 wagon now!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-30-2018, 08:58 PM   #20
ErikTande

Quote:

So you just swapped the backs, not the bottom, right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!