SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2018, 02:44 PM   #1
chriscompton
chriscompton has a spectacular aura aboutchriscompton has a spectacular aura aboutchriscompton has a spectacular aura about

Default Broken piece of engine block, what now?

Welp, after owning my 97 SL2 for about 2 1/2 years (bought at 43000 just crossed 100000) I finally decided to do something about the very slow oil leak from valve cover and replace the gasket. While loosening the bolts, I discovered that the bolt on the back side of the engine, closest to the power steering fluid reservoir, was not even finger tight. I removed the cover only to discover that the part of the block that the bolt screwed into had previously been broken off and repaired with some sort of bonding material. Essentially, half way through the screw threads to the edge was held on by the bond. The bolt that I pulled out had actually been broken off inside it at some point and was no longer long enough to mate with the threads. I carried on with the new gasket installation, as not only did I need to be somewhere in the next few hours, but the leak wasn't even from that area. I did some light driving to my job and back, and it seemed to be leak free. Fast forward to this morning, I head to the junkyard to get a new bolt, and run some errands. I pull up my hood when I get home to see that the new gasket is leaking pretty bad, and making a bit of a mess. I go to install the new bolt and the bonded part came right off. The piece where the bolt mounts to the block is now sheared in half. Wish I could post pics, but I'm still short on post counts.

So I now have no idea what to do about my situation. In the meantime my valve cover is leaking, and I've got a big trip coming up in a few days. Please help! Thx!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chriscompton's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chriscompton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chriscompton is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2018, 02:56 PM   #2
chriscompton
chriscompton has a spectacular aura aboutchriscompton has a spectacular aura aboutchriscompton has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Broken piece of engine block, what now?

BTW, it's bolt #5 in the torque sequence.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help chriscompton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2018, 03:19 PM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Guessing JB Weld

Maybe find someone who can weld it into place? Might just need a couple of tacks

Just guessing here and speaking with neither knowledge or experience. Intake side

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:55 PM   #4
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

^^ my thoughts exactly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:49 PM   #5
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

We really need pictures. Just post "Hi" a few more times until you hit the 15 needed.

Those threads are probably in the head, not block, but that is not too much better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:03 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

If you go and get a 93-95 aluminum cover that bolt is not even used, IIRC. Get a cover and the COMPLETE bolt set. The plastic cover is always going to leak though.

Replace warped plastic 96-98 cover with 93-95 aluminum How-To
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=165939

93-95 aluminum cam cover gasket: FEL-PRO Part # VS50451R

Last edited by OldNuc; 03-16-2018 at 08:16 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:12 PM   #7
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
If you go and get a 93-95 aluminum cover that bolt is not even used, IIRC. Get a cover and the COMPLETE bolt set. The plastic cover is always going to leak though.

Replace warped plastic 96-98 cover with 93-95 aluminum How-To
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=165939

93-95 aluminum cam cover gasket: FEL-PRO Part # VS50451R
I did exactly that about 4 years ago. Worked great and, like you said, that extra bolt is now not necessary.
When you go to the junk yard grab the bolts with it. You'll probably want to get plug wires for a 95 since the cover is slightly shorter.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:19 AM   #8
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

In addition to OldNuc's & RobertGary's advice, you can use this website to locate a used aluminum valve cover.

www.car-par.com

As they said, make sure that you grab the bolts and the washers. You will need a T40 Torx bit, to pull the cover off the junk engine you are sourcing from.

The Fel-Pro PermaDry gasket kit will have the new bolt grommets you need.

Make sure you get a torque wrench, and do NOT set the torque above 6.5 ft-lbs.

The specification is 89 in-lbs., or about 7.4 ft-lbs. Torque wrench calibrations, can be off by up to Ī4%. And too much torque will snap the bolts off, inside the head.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:34 AM   #9
chriscompton

It looks like the broken bolt slot is unfortunately not the one that the aluminum cover skips. Itís the intake side left corner, #5 in the plastic cover torque sequence. I think number 6 is the one that is skipped for the aluminum. I am gonna go ahead and grab the aluminum cover from hopefully my local pick ní pull anyways and work off that.

Is the consensus that I should find someone to weld the broken piece on or could I get by with JB weld in reattaching it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-17-2018, 10:36 AM   #10
chriscompton

Posting again for post count.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-17-2018, 10:37 AM   #11
chriscompton

So I can post photos.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-17-2018, 10:39 AM   #12
chriscompton

Last one. Photos up next.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-17-2018, 10:49 AM   #13
chriscompton

Before

After

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-17-2018, 12:21 PM   #14
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

My guess is a 50/50 chance of epoxy with immaculately clean surfaces and never over torquing the bolt otherwise the glued part will simply separate. Aluminum welding is best done by an experienced welder.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 12:41 PM   #15
dssl1
dssl1 is on a distinguished road

If the JB weld fix took you from 43k to 100k, I'd be inclined to give that method another shot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dssl1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dssl1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dssl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 01:17 PM   #16
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

A less pleasant, but not particularly hard, method would be to find another head. I don't think JB Weld is going to hold there unless you completely filled in the bolt hole with it as well and then drilled and tapped a smaller size bolt and were EXTREMELY gentle with torquing it back down when you're done. Might be worth a try.

Best,

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts, but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. -Frank Herbert-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 01:28 PM   #17
dssl1
dssl1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn night View Post
fify

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dssl1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dssl1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dssl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 01:29 PM   #18
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Just break the rest off and put a nut behind it?

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:18 PM   #19
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

How good are you at drilling? I would put a sheet-metal "girdle" around the outside of the broken piece, using a couple of screws (about 10-24 size) screwed into the head at 45 deg angle to the left-right axis of the engine. That means drilling the head, probably a right-angle drill, and tapping back where space is limited. A bottoming tap will be needed, too.

If you can get that girdle to fasten securely in place with screws, use JB Weld between the girdle and broken piece to fill in all gaps between the two and hold the broken piece tight to the head. Don't bother with JB on the broken edges, it will only make things worse by preventing the broken piece from sitting snugly against its mate. If you need to hold that piece temporarily, use cyanoacrylate. Once the boss is repaired, then tap the threads for the cover screw and see if a screw can be tightened to the proper low torque. You can do that before putting the valve cover back on. If the screw still strips, then drill/tap the boss for a helical-insert.

Welding back there would be very tricky, with much chance of doing more harm than good. Even if welding was successful, I expect there would be considerable amount of machining (file/sand, drill/tap) to get the boss back into a usable condition.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:19 PM   #20
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You will likely destroy the head by attempted welding or any other mechanical repair. Access is limited being the major reason and epoxy will never bond to oil soaked aluminum let alone the thermal cycling. Head replacement is the only "fix".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote