SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2018, 07:14 AM   #1
cykopat
cykopat has a spectacular aura aboutcykopat has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE Red Line
Default 2005 Saturn Vue Redline - Issues/Diagnose

I've had my Vue for 5 years now or so. Inherited it with 18K in 2013. Then I moved to the midwest.

So currently I have this terrible creaking sound when I seem to be going down inclines, while turning. I just had that front brakes done and rear brakes checked last week. So all brakes are good and Midas said the whole front end is tight.

I posted a short MP3 Here of the sound.
EDIT* I tried to post a line to instaud.io /1U43 but I need to post 15 more times first.

My next two questions are probably much simpler. My driver side front door doesn't lock via the keyless entry anymore. It started last year and sounded slow until it just all out failed. Do you have any suggestions on troubleshooting?

Sorry in advance, as I googled the creaking noise for about a month now. I found results saying it's the steering column, it's the sway bars, it's the brakes, it's the midwest rock salt, and etc. So I figured linking to the sound might be best.

Thanks for any input and help.
Patrick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cykopat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cykopat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cykopat is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2018, 11:18 AM   #2
jco35
jco35 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line
Default Re: 2005 Saturn Vue Redline - Issues/Diagnose

Still take a good look at the endlinks. We already know that's a common issue with these cars. Cost to replace them isnt much.

I would then move over to the strut mounts if the issues continues after the endlinks are replaced.

How many miles on the RL?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jco35's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jco35 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jco35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:39 PM   #3
cykopat

2005 VUE Red Line

55,000 miles.

Any mechanic shop or should i go to the GM dealer?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cykopat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2018, 03:21 PM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Whether you visit a dealership or an independent repair shop, keep in mind that most mechanics have actually worked on few, or no Saturn vehicles of any model. Dealership mechanics typically are working on cars that are seven years old or less. In my area of Los Angeles County I know that the vast majority of independent shops haven't worked on a Saturn of any kind before. If it were me, I would seek out a trusted independent repair shop as I would expect to be treated more fairly there and the mechanics tend to be more interested in the work.

(A dealership mechanic might see your car and decide he really doesn't care. He may then recommend a bundle of expensive work to the service advisor which he expects will be declined, and at that point he's reasonably sure he'll never be bothered with that car again. I'm not saying this will happen, but I have known this to have occurred.)

284,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:38 PM   #5
jco35

2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by cykopat View Post
55,000 miles.

Any mechanic shop or should i go to the GM dealer?
The endlinks aren't very difficult to replace. Here's a youtube video to help you if you decide to do the job yourself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SP9e9cSgGA

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jco35 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2018, 03:50 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Indy shops are great if they're familiar with unique problems to one vehicle. Creaking can be suspension, steering, chassis, anything and may wind up as a witch hunt. Fortunately, these forums seem to concentrate almost every ill related to each model without going to a dealer or general repair shop. My guess, from reading these forums, is your steering column shaft is rubbing in the rubber boot meant to keep noise, wind and dirt from entering and because of the steep angle between steering shaft and steering rack. You can also google for videos on this too with several solutions, mostly about lubricating the boot to shaft friction to eliminate creaking. As you found out, Midas is good enough to cover their assess and then some by stating brakes and suspension are tight but don't have a clue where the creaking noise is emanation from. It's not a fault of Midas but like most businesses they're expert in their field but may be totally lacking in other areas unrelated to their area of expertise. GM would be in a better position if their techs keep up with service bulletins that may point out rubbing noises in steering columns of Vues. Once Saturn folded, techs not absorbed into GM dealers become lost knowledge to remaining dealers not familiar with Saturns. Third party sites like Saturnfans collects all the peculiarities dealers lose when Saturn went away and continues on as another 'antique'(?) site.

I'll bet the driver's electric door lock solenoid may be dead, sticking, or broken wiring, requiring careful troubleshooting. Try the door lock/unlock button. This may be worn or broken too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:09 AM   #7
cykopat

2005 VUE Red Line

Wow! Thanks so much to all of you! I appreciate your time and respect for a newbie poster.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-30-2018, 08:13 AM   #8
cykopat

2005 VUE Red Line

So they want to replace the following since the right strut is leaking.
172217 F Quick Strut Assy
172218 F Quick Strut Assy
1880460 SWAY BAR LINK/KIT
1880461 SWAY BAR LINK/KIT.

The quick struts are Monroe. Should I look at a different brand? They was $336 for each strut parts only. I can get them both for $351.

Anything else that should be replaced at the same time? Performance sway bars?

Thanks

Update: Shop says itís $312 because the parts are warranties?

Last edited by cykopat; 03-30-2018 at 08:23 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-30-2018, 11:15 AM   #9
jco35

2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
So they want to replace the following since the right strut is leaking.
172217 F Quick Strut Assy
172218 F Quick Strut Assy
1880460 SWAY BAR LINK/KIT
1880461 SWAY BAR LINK/KIT.

The quick struts are Monroe. Should I look at a different brand? They was $336 for each strut parts only. I can get them both for $351.

Anything else that should be replaced at the same time? Performance sway bars?

Thanks

Update: Shop says itís $312 because the parts are warranties?
Since you have a Red Line, you want to stay clear of the quick strut assemblies unless you want it to ride higher. The springs on those are for the standard model Vues. The RL came with performance springs which dropped the ride height 1.5-2 inches, cant recall the exact drop. You want to purchase the struts and mounts and reuse the springs. I went with the KYB's front and back and i'm very happy with how they ride.

As for the endlinks, I went with the MOOG K80460 & MOOG K80461 since they have grease fittings and the ones that you mentioned look like they dont.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-30-2018, 11:45 AM   #10
Golfguy54
Golfguy54 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Looks like you're planning to have a shop do all the work. Since I'm about to order pretty much the same parts as you I thought it was worth showing you how much you're overpaying. I priced out your parts on Rockauto and also included new rear shocks since these would be essentially free with the current Monroe $75 rebate applying to a set of 4 struts and shocks. Cart totals right around $400 and I'm sure there's a discount code (5%) on the forum bringing it down to about $380 with shipping. Take out the $75 rebate and you're right around $300. I think most here will agree that this is not a particularly difficult undertaking. I'm sure this would be in the $1000+ area if a shop does it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Golfguy54's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Golfguy54 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Golfguy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 05:00 PM   #11
atikovi
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

I'd find it suspect that a 55,000 mile strut is leaking such that it should be replaced. I've replaced struts on two of these models but they were over 190,000 miles on the originals.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:04 AM   #12
cykopat

2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
I'd find it suspect that a 55,000 mile strut is leaking such that it should be replaced. I've replaced struts on two of these models but they were over 190,000 miles on the originals.
I know what you mean. I was just at Midas for brakes, and they do struts as well. They told me everything looks good, nothing was greasable for the squeak.

So then I took it to Clay Dooley in Bloomington, IL (Bigger Auto Shop) and I told them about the squeak and they came back with those Monroe Quick Assembly Struts and Sway/Link Kits. They said one was leaking.

I don't know. I guess I can go for a 3rd opinion. I did buy the Moog End Link Kits Left and Right and maybe just have them change those and see what happens?

P.s. Sorry for the late reply, I'm not getting notifications.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-02-2018, 07:31 AM   #13
cykopat

2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfguy54 View Post
Looks like you're planning to have a shop do all the work. Since I'm about to order pretty much the same parts as you I thought it was worth showing you how much you're overpaying. I priced out your parts on Rockauto and also included new rear shocks since these would be essentially free with the current Monroe $75 rebate applying to a set of 4 struts and shocks. Cart totals right around $400 and I'm sure there's a discount code (5%) on the forum bringing it down to about $380 with shipping. Take out the $75 rebate and you're right around $300. I think most here will agree that this is not a particularly difficult undertaking. I'm sure this would be in the $1000+ area if a shop does it.
Are you using your existing springs? Like the poster said below your comment the monroe kit will raise your vehicle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-02-2018, 08:00 AM   #14
atikovi
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Used Monroe struts with the existing springs.

as well as their strut mounts.

Shops use quick struts because it's quicker for them to install but will still charge you through the nose.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:02 AM   #15
cykopat

2005 VUE Red Line

Thanks for the prompt response.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-02-2018, 10:08 AM   #16
Golfguy54
Golfguy54 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Are you using your existing springs? Like the poster said below your comment the monroe kit will raise your vehicle.
Atikovi's quote mentions "existing springs' whereas the quick struts come with new springs installed in the struts. I haven't heard any negatives before wrt the Monroe's not being a quality product. Also, I don't own a Redline so can't comment on suspension differences and I do know that Atikovi has flipped a number of Vues so I highly respect his opinion and knowledge especially with Redlines. As for me, I intend to order the front and rear Monroe parts in the next week or 2 to take advantage of the current promotion. I know it can be a challenge sometimes to find the right Redline parts. Good Luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Golfguy54's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Golfguy54 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Golfguy54 is offline   Reply With Quote