SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2018, 01:18 PM   #1
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2
Default mastrer cylinder question

on my 2001 sc2 I never really paid attention to this but it has 4 lines coming from it. my car is in the shop now getting the lines from the master cylinder to the rear of the car replaced with copper nickel lines because one was leaking & rusting through which I never knew. good thing they caught this otherwise I might be plastered to a tree about now. anyway why does it have 2 lines coming to the rear? are each wheel on a separate system?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2018, 02:35 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: mastrer cylinder question

Here's the technical description for Saturn brake systems, with or without ABS. Some things to keep in mind; brake systems may or may not use a brake proportioning valve to prevent rear brakes locking up first during weight shifting as brakes are applied and the dual diagonal hydraulic lines to ensure if one brake fails, half the brakes are not affected and will slow a car down without pulling to one side, a safety design.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:37 PM   #3
kmcn
kmcn will become famous soon enough

That's interesting info on the brake design. I did not know they still used a diagonal system but I did notice all four lines coming out of our 2001 SL2. We have front disc and rear drum. I just assumed that the paired lines were front and rear. In older cars, there used to be an electrical switch as part of the proportioning valve. If one half of the master cylinder had pressure and the other half did not, then your BRAKE light would illuminate on the dash. I did not see anything like that on our SL2 when I redid the brakes.

What's confusing to me though, is when we had a recent failure. The right front inside pad had gotten so worn that it was metal-to-metal and the inside pad slipped loose from its "moorings"... this caused the piston to extend out and touch the caliper. The brake pedal went to the floor and did not stop the car. Luckily, it was in a parking lot so the emergency brake was able to stop the car before any damage occurred.

I wonder why the diagonal braking did not work on the other two wheels (LF and RR)??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kmcn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kmcn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kmcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:05 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

My guess is with half the brakes gone, you're down to two (instead of four) brakes with half a braking system. 50% brakes isn't going to stop any time soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:26 PM   #5
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcn View Post
What's confusing to me though, is when we had a recent failure. The right front inside pad had gotten so worn that it was metal-to-metal and the inside pad slipped loose from its "moorings"... this caused the piston to extend out and touch the caliper. The brake pedal went to the floor and did not stop the car. Luckily, it was in a parking lot so the emergency brake was able to stop the car before any damage occurred.

I wonder why the diagonal braking did not work on the other two wheels (LF and RR)??
What conclusion was reached as to why there was a loss of hydraulic pressure (brake pedal dropping to the floor when depressed) after the mechanic, or you, performed the latest brake repair?

292,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote