SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2018, 07:11 PM   #1
vuedriver
vuedriver is on a distinguished road

Default Oil leak passenger side 4 cyllinder

I have a 2002 Saturn Vue with 140k miles, 4 cylinder, 5speed fwd.

Yesterday out of nowhere, my engine started profusely leaking oil from the passenger side. The oil hits the crankshaft pulley and gets flung everywhere, so it's hard to tell where it's originally coming from. It's somewhere on the side of the engine because there's no oil on the top or the bottom except where it gets flung off of the pulley.

Is this a known issue that someone can tell me where it's coming from?

I tried searching but the search function seems to be not working.

Last edited by vuedriver; 03-12-2018 at 07:19 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vuedriver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vuedriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vuedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2018, 09:30 PM   #2
waiter21
waiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Oil leak passenger side 4 cyllinder

Sounds like a crankshaft seal,

with 140k miles on a 2002, IMHO, you are on borrowed time for a timing chain and tensioner.

If you are a DIYer, you will need to pull the timing cover and chain to replace the crank seal. So this is a good time to install new chain, tensioner, and guides.

Fairly easy Saturday afternoon job, get a timing chain set and a new timing cover gasket.

Heres a link when I replaced mine:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=218942

If the chain breaks or jumps timing, you're screwed, it usually destroys the engine

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:07 AM   #3
oldmanina2005vu
oldmanina2005vu will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 2.2L
2008 SKY Red Line

FYI you will also have to pull the valve cover so might as well replace the valve cover gaskets too. Might consider a new water pump. Timing chain kits are available on Ebay and Amazon that include the timing chain and sprockets, chain guides, tensioner, balance shaft chain and sprockets, balance shaft guides, balance shaft chain tensioner, water pump, and front cover gaskets. It includes the crankshaft seal as well. I believe it actually seals against the flywheel pulley so be sure to check that for any wear or nicks when you get it off. I find that Cloyes makes the best chain sets. The valve cover gasket set would be bought separately. There are a couple of videos on Youtube that show how it is done. almost any 4 cyl. ecotec is the same procedure. One is actually a Cloyes technician walking you through the process. Good luck!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oldmanina2005vu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oldmanina2005vu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oldmanina2005vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:13 PM   #4
SylenThunder
SylenThunder is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 2.2L

Just chiming in to agree 100% with both of the responses here. When I saw the thread title I immediately thought of the crankshaft seal as the most likely cause.

You can DIY most of this pretty easily, and save a ton of money on not paying overpriced parts and labor at a shop.

2004 FWD, Vti, 2.2L
Custom CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SylenThunder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SylenThunder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SylenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:33 PM   #5
Srjs28
Srjs28 is on a distinguished road

I just did the timing set on mine and donít forget to replace the cam shaft sproket bolts as they are torque specific and will stretch out. Sometimes they come with the kit, mine did not. They are about $8 a piece, you will need 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Srjs28's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Srjs28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Srjs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:35 PM   #6
Srjs28
Srjs28 is on a distinguished road

And I also agree as it is the crankshaft seal that is leaking

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Srjs28's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Srjs28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Srjs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:27 AM   #7
waiter21
waiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 2.2L

The front crank seal is located on the timing chain cover. With your mileage, change the timing set, oiler, tensioner, and you should be good for another 150k.

If I had 150k miles and was into it that far, I'd probably also do the water pump and balance chain.

I did a Rescue Vue. The previous owner did an engine tranny swap but couldn't get it running so it sat for 6 years in their drive. I literally intercepted the Vue on its way to the junk yard. I didn't know any history, so replaced the timing components. Its not to big of a deal, you just need to be very careful with setting the timing. (NOTE - The PO had the throttle body and Fuel Injector connectors reversed. This nuked the ECM and a couple sensors. Fixed the connectors, replaced the ECM and sensors and it started right up.)

Do yourself a favor, before putting the timing cover back on, take a bunch of photos of the timing chain, cam, crank, guides, gears, etc.. This way if you have any problems you can look at the photos to re-verify the timing was correct when you put it back together...

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

Last edited by waiter21; 03-14-2018 at 06:33 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote