SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2018, 10:43 AM   #1
jacek_p
jacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the rough

2003 ION-2 Sedan
Default 03 front brake vibration, but only on warm brakes

Normally, i would assume it's warped rotors, but checking if this is something Saturn specific.
Another weird thing, this is not noticeable in city driving, only hwy speeds 55+ mph, and only after driving/braking for a while.
The car has 158,000 miles and brakes look in great shape. Pads looked brand new when i got this at 135,000 miles, but no idea if new rotors. Will try measuring rotors tonight.
The sliding pins have been greased regularly, but I'll check them tonight.
Anything else to check?
I checked wheel nuts torque and it's fine at 100 lbs/ft.
Car drives OK otherwise.

fixed/replaced so far: side mirror, window trims x4, trunk floor, radiator bushing, alternator, starter, LCA x2, sway bar bushings x2, end links x2, timing chain tensioner, O2 sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jacek_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jacek_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jacek_p is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2018, 03:38 PM   #2
jacek_p
jacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the rough

2003 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: 03 front brake vibration, but only on warm brakes

No one?
Now, i'm thinking this is really uneven braking pad deposits:
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
as for fixing, I'll measure rotors first to see if usable.

fixed/replaced so far: side mirror, window trims x4, trunk floor, radiator bushing, alternator, starter, LCA x2, sway bar bushings x2, end links x2, timing chain tensioner, O2 sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jacek_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-12-2018, 04:06 PM   #3
ddemier7
Advanced Member
ddemier7 will become famous soon enoughddemier7 will become famous soon enough

2004 ION-1 Sedan

I would just resurface the rotors and get new pads. Brakes could of gotten hot and warped. Brakes should not vibrate or pulsate on cars w/o ABS.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddemier7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddemier7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddemier7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:50 PM   #4
jacek_p

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Mystery solved. Measured rotors and they were about 22mm. Minimum in the factory manual is 22.75mm. Must have been factory rotors. I ordered ACDelco pads and rotors on Amazon. There was some evidence of uneven pad transfer (they were some spots with different shades on the rotors).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2018, 05:05 PM   #5
jacek_p

2003 ION-2 Sedan

I got the new ACDelco pads (economy ceramics) and rotors and not only the brakes are smooth, but the whole car seems to riding smoother. it could be in my head though. I didn't do any crazy break-in or burnishing brakes, just drove it normally and after moderate braking made sure not to keep it stopped by regular brakes while waiting on light, but by hand brake instead (to prevent uneven pad transfer).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!