SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
tchida14
tchida14 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
Default Auto to Manual progress!

Okay, so I've been researching how to do an auto to manual swap for my 2000 SL2, and nearly a year later I have finally made the ultimate decision to start buying parts:

-Fidanza lightweight flywheel-$329.72 including shipping

-Luk clutch kit-$118.65

-Stainless steel shifter cable bushing (from the saturnbushingman on ebay)-$32.00

-Clutch pedal assembly-$8.57

- MP3 Transmission, shifter assembly, shift cables-$73.92

-Clutch master and slave cylinder assembly-$97.77- ordered today.

Attached should be pictures of some of the parts. It wouldn't allow me to upload a picture of my trunk with the tranny, shifter and cables, after a trip to the junkyard...

I am all for preventative maintenance, so I was wondering what else I should check inside the transmission since it was from a donor car with unknown miles?

I have already started cleaning the gunk off the tranny and I am using different racing's guide to eventually disassemble it to get to the differential so that I can bring it into school and have it tig welded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fidanza lightweight flywheel.jpg (115.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Luk clutch kit.jpg (133.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Cutting brake pedal.jpg (131.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Clutch install, no hydraulics.jpg (109.0 KB, 21 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tchida14's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tchida14 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tchida14 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
tchida14

2000 SL2
Default Re: Auto to Manual progress!

I just inspected the diff pin and it looks great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Differential pin.jpg (127.6 KB, 38 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tchida14 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

I personally would not want the aluminum flywheel. You can get a brand new steel one for $50 at AAP. And the lightweight one will hurt your off-the-line performance.

I know there are some here that like them, but I am not convinced that it will really help you with honest performance and driveability.

Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
tchida14

2000 SL2

That probably would have been a smarter choice for the price difference... but oh well, I thought I would try it!

I still need to know how I can make this junkyard tranny outlast my engine. I want it to be as reliable as possible. I don't want to put it in how it is and hope everything is working fine only to take it out later when something goes bad. I want to check and make sure it will run forever, that's why I am asking what I need to do to do this?

-And I just wanted to thank everyone on this forum for all the great information that provided me inspiration for this project! I wouldn't be able to do this with out the site!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #5
BobtheTechguy
BobtheTechguy is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

I would assume you took a look at the tranny fluid before buying it, to make sure it didn't smell burnt and was still pink in colour.

Also, could you tell me the steps you do as far as getting everything working? I have a 95 sl2 that needs a new tranny(has auto) and thought that if I have to pull the car apart anyways I might as well make it more enjoyable to drive for me

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobtheTechguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobtheTechguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobtheTechguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #6
tchida14

2000 SL2

My automatic SL2 is my daily driver, so I only installed the clutch pedal and cut the brake pedal.(as seen in the pictures) The clutch pedal just flops around obviously, but it's one less thing I have to worry about later when I actually put that manual transmission in.

Some advice I would give you is to read on different racing's website on how to do the swap and what you need. Also you should spend plenty of time on here and 6s researching how to do it successfully, so that it goes smoothly.

As far as I am, it's gone very smoothly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

Don't have your differential pin welded! Follow cityhawk/hunt4steve/OldNuc's way of doing it. It is simpler and more reliable. Most of the information can be found in this thread, but basically it involves boring it out slightly larger and installing a larger double roll pin.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anmasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #8
tchida14

2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmasher View Post
Don't have your differential pin welded! Follow cityhawk/hunt4steve/OldNuc's way of doing it. It is simpler and more reliable. Most of the information can be found in this thread, but basically it involves boring it out slightly larger and installing a larger double roll pin.
I knew this idea would come up, I'll have to search on the forums for information about that idea!

I am still curious about what else I should check as long as i'm taking the whole transmission apart to get to the differential anyway?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #9
tchida14

2000 SL2

Didn't realize you put a link to the thread in your post! Sorry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #10
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

It took me a long time to actually wrap my head around what this actually did and why it was better than welding, but it truly is a good permanent fix.

While it is apart, I would check and replace any bearings that need replaced. Clean the magnets (filters); maybe see if any of the synchros are terribly worn and replaced them. Transmissions really shouldn't wear out or have that many problems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #11
tchida14

2000 SL2

Quote:
It took me a long time to actually wrap my head around what this actually did and why it was better than welding, but it truly is a good permanent fix.

While it is apart, I would check and replace any bearings that need replaced. Clean the magnets (filters); maybe see if any of the synchros are terribly worn and replaced them. Transmissions really shouldn't wear out or have that many problems.
I will have to research that some more, thank you for the info!

And it's not apart yet, but do you think taking it apart and checking those things is easy enough for me to do on my own? I certainly don't want to take it to a transmission shop for them to open it and say "yeah, looks good." And charge me an arm and a leg for it....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-03-2013, 11:57 PM   #12
anmasher

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchida14 View Post
And it's not apart yet, but do you think taking it apart and checking those things is easy enough for me to do on my own? I certainly don't want to take it to a transmission shop for them to open it and say "yeah, looks good." And charge me an arm and a leg for it....
I sent you a PM. (BTW - don't discard and replace everything it says to discard and replace; just the seals and the two shaft nuts)

My honest opinion would be to just leave it alone, unless you plan to do aggressive driving. But, yes, it's certainly simple enough to take apart on your own. The bolts holding the case halves together are (or can be) very difficult to get out, and dropping the shafts into the case as you split it can be difficult (requiring two people) - otherwise it is pretty straight forward.

If anything inside of it looks bad then post pictures. Check the bearings to see how they feel (gritty, lots of play, etc.). OldNuc could comment better on how they should behave - he's been tremendously helpful with my transmission work thus far.

Last edited by anmasher; 03-04-2013 at 12:03 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #13
tchida14

2000 SL2

Quote:
I sent you a PM. (BTW - don't discard and replace everything it says to discard and replace; just the seals and the two shaft nuts)

My honest opinion would be to just leave it alone, unless you plan to do aggressive driving. But, yes, it's certainly simple enough to take apart on your own. The bolts holding the case halves together are (or can be) very difficult to get out, and dropping the shafts into the case as you split it can be difficult (requiring two people) - otherwise it is pretty straight forward.

If anything inside of it looks bad then post pictures. Check the bearings to see how they feel (gritty, lots of play, etc.). OldNuc could comment better on how they should behave - he's been tremendously helpful with my transmission work thus far.
I got your messages, I can't thank you enough for your help.

So do I need to order a gasket set for this that will come with the gaskets and these seals and nuts you speak of? Could you possibly give me a part number for this set?

I have no idea how this transmission was treated since it is a $42 junkyard tranny, but I want to make sure it will last, so i'm willing to take some extra steps for preventative maintenance so it can withstand some occasional abuse.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-04-2013, 12:27 AM   #14
anmasher

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

Quote:
I got your messages, I can't thank you enough for your help.

So do I need to order a gasket set for this that will come with the gaskets and these seals and nuts you speak of? Could you possibly give me a part number for this set?

I have no idea how this transmission was treated since it is a $42 junkyard tranny, but I want to make sure it will last, so i'm willing to take some extra steps for preventative maintenance so it can withstand some occasional abuse.
I'm just regurgitating what I've learned mostly from OldNuc and ShawnV.

There are no gasket sets that I'm aware of. You should only need a few things anyway. Below are the OEM parts you'll need, then I think the case halves are sealed with Loctite 515.
Nuts (2x): 21001679
5th Gear Housing Gasket: 21001232
Shifter Housing Gasket: 21001244

You can lookup part numbers here: http://parts.nalleygmc.com/default.aspx
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc
Saturn OEM Parts Source
GM Parts Giant- http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/
GM Parts Direct- http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/
Get Saturn Parts- http://www.trademotion.com/splash/in...?siteid=214643
GMparts4U.com- http://gmparts4u.com/
Your local dealers - http://www.partsvoice.com/
I find that going to your local GM dealer is cheapest since they don't charge shipping.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-04-2013, 12:34 AM   #15
tchida14

2000 SL2

Quote:
I'm just regurgitating what I've learned mostly from OldNuc and ShawnV.

No gasket sets, just OEM part numbers:
Nuts (2x): 21001679
5th Gear Housing Gasket: 21001232
Shifter Housing Gasket: 21001244

You can lookup part numbers here: http://parts.nalleygmc.com/default.aspx

I find that going to your local GM dealer is cheapest since they don't charge shipping.
Regurgitation is fine by me! Thanks a ton!

I'll be taking it apart next weekend since I have no time during the week.

I'll definitely be doing some more research on the diff pin fix this week and keep you up to date on the whole ordeal! (and ask a bunch of questions)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #16
tchida14

2000 SL2

So i'm about to go tear the tranny apart soon and just had a few questions for you guys.

What do I use to clean the crud-caked transmission case?? There must be a better solution than using a whole can of brake cleaner on every part that comes out.

As I take the gears and everything out, do they need to be covered with something when i'm not working on it to prevent rust?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #17
anmasher

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

Quote:
What do I use to clean the crud-caked transmission case?? There must be a better solution than using a whole can of brake cleaner on every part that comes out.
Brake cleaner is the cheap and simple solution. Do not clean every part that comes out with brake cleaner! Just clean about an inch wide path around where the case splits, then once it's apart you can either 1) clean the case with brake cleaner 2) clean the case in a parts washer or take it to someone with a parts washer (not sure how the plastic + bearings will hold up to this) 3) leave it dirty. Whatever you do, make sure to clean the bellhousing as your clutch will be going in there.

Quote:
As I take the gears and everything out, do they need to be covered with something when i'm not working on it to prevent rust?
ATF. They come pre-coated. Actually just leave the input/output shafts fully assembled and coated. Disassembling them is a bad idea. Make sure not to wash the ATF off of them either or the synchros - I think - will bind.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #18
tchida14

2000 SL2

So just get some ATF and coat all the parts when I'm done for the day?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #19
anmasher

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

Quote:
So just get some ATF and coat all the parts when I'm done for the day?
Having a quart of ATF around isn't a bad idea, but unless you plan to leave the transmission apart for months everything should be just fine. ATF like oil (but even more so) doesn't just evaporate off of parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #20
tchida14

2000 SL2

Alright sounds good, I'll post some pictures later tonight!

Thank you for all the help!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!