SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2018, 05:44 PM   #1
peeweenapalm
peeweenapalm is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default primary wire for amp/thru firewall Q/A

hello, i will be running primary wire 12v+ through the firewall.
anyone have experience with this?
any body know if there is better spot than the main wire bundle grommet to be sending the line through?
i can only see one grommet behind the brake power block.
car is 2000 ls2 v6, 3L.

Wire is for power to amp in rear.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to peeweenapalm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help peeweenapalm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
peeweenapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2018, 02:44 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: primary wire for amp/thru firewall Q/A

Well, seeing that no one has replied with anything to assist you I suggest re-posting your message in the General Saturn Discussion Forum. As you might expect, I have no experience relative to the concern in your original post. There some members who get into this kind of thing with cars other than the L-Series and they may pay more attention to such a message if it's placed in the other forum.

292,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:10 PM   #3
Sir Wagonsky
Sir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the rough

2008 SKY
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Thumbs Up Re: primary wire for amp/thru firewall Q/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweenapalm View Post
hello, i will be running primary wire 12v+ through the firewall.
anyone have experience with this?
any body know if there is better spot than the main wire bundle grommet to be sending the line through?
i can only see one grommet behind the brake power block.
car is 2000 ls2 v6, 3L.

Wire is for power to amp in rear.
Hey, Peewee .
I did my LW300 wagon. Amp in the back. Power from the battery up front. I went through the hood release grommet. Under the driver's side dash, lay under there with a decent flashlight. Follow the black hood release cable to the rubber ring where it goes through the firewall.

The rubber was tougher than expected. I had to make my original hole on the side of the grommet with a nail. I then used a straitened hanger for the push through. Bend it to the right a little as you feed it, or you will simply route it through the inners of your fender and never see it.

Under the hood, there's a vacant area, imagine a triangle, between the firewall, shock tower, and fender. ( driver's side, obviously). The outbound area where the wire initially comes out through the grommet will not be in view. It will be low, against the fender, and behind the tower. Feed enough wire through ( slightly putting a curve in the wire as you feed it ) and you eventually see it exposed off the firewall by the shock tower. I was able to fish it up and attach my 12v line to it.

If working alone, know how long your wire is and when you expect to see it. Take intermittent checks like I did. You don't want to be shoving wires through a wire harness. Also, never fish - or fish for - lines that are under power.

Getting the wire pull took about 15 minutes. Hardest part was working on my back laying on the driver side floor. I followed the hood release cable with my wire all the way to the front, then broke off to meet the battery. Meanwhile, back under the dash, ensure the wire is secured and out of the way of your feet, EB and and function pedals.

Again, this is for the LW300 wagon. You may find this similar, or adaptable to your application. Good Luck

☠☠☠☠☠ DADS GARAGE ☠☠☠☠☠

Last edited by Sir Wagonsky; 03-23-2018 at 06:25 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sir Wagonsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sir Wagonsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sir Wagonsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:48 PM   #4
Sir Wagonsky
Sir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the rough

2008 SKY
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: primary wire for amp/thru firewall Q/A

Quote:
Again, this is for the LW300 wagon. You may find this similar, or adaptable to your application. Good Luck
Well, you may find it incredibly applicable, if you are pulling wire into a Ford Edge.

Here's the LW300 wagon. Please enjoy the pictoral. Everything else has been said. Looks like I'm still going through an existing grommet.
But the heavy insulation means I still drilled a bore hole. Same rules apply.
Pic 1 is under dash.

☠☠☠☠☠ DADS GARAGE ☠☠☠☠☠

Last edited by Sir Wagonsky; 03-23-2018 at 07:00 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sir Wagonsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sir Wagonsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sir Wagonsky is offline   Reply With Quote