SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2018, 03:50 PM   #1
IABDTDOW
IABDTDOW is on a distinguished road

Default Steering very difficult when not moving and key fob not working!! Please help!

I was gifted a 2008 Aura XR V6 from my dad. I noticed when stopped and moving at very low speeds the steering is very difficult almost like there's no power steering. When moving however (3-4 mph even) it comes right back like it's perfectly normal. I noticed some power steering fluid on the oil pan and lower control arm on the passenger side but the level is fine? Also none of the buttons on the key fob work except the horn button. This is my only car at the moment so any help is greatly appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IABDTDOW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IABDTDOW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IABDTDOW is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2018, 07:57 PM   #2
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is a jewel in the roughimaddicted2u is a jewel in the roughimaddicted2u is a jewel in the roughimaddicted2u is a jewel in the rough

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: Steering very difficult when not moving and key fob not working!! Please help!

For the remote, the buttons are probably worn. My wife had the same trouble with hers. I bought her one of these in pink. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Replacement-...9Zv6G~&vxp=mtr After cleaning the contacts on the remote circuit board I put it in the new case. Worked perfect.
You could try cleaning the contacts and pads on yours with rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip first.

Power steering, Is it making any odd noises? I'd check to see that the belt is tight, not glazed or slipping. Check the belt tensioner and idlers. Since you see fluid, look to see if the shaft seal behind the pulley on the pump is leaking. If the shaft seal is leaking it could draw in air. Follow the hoses to see if they are leaking. If the return line is leaking it could allow air to be pulled in to the system. Look in the reservoir with the engine running to see if there is foaming. If it is there is likely air in the system.
If you can, put the front of car up securely on jack stands and turn the steering wheel lock to lock, engine off, a few times in case there is air in the system. This video will give you an idea what to do. Normally you would suck out air using a vacuum pump but this method works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfR_TLEQgqY
If this improves the situation but it later goes bad again, there is most likely air being drawn in. You need to figure out if it is around the shaft seal or return line hose to the reservoir. The pump shaft seal is replaceable but probably just as easy to change the pump.
That's the free stuff to try...
If this doesn't help then the rack and pinion could be bypassing fluid and needs to be replaced or the pump could be bad. I'd start with the pump since it's the least expensive.
Hope this helps.

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)

Last edited by imaddicted2u; 03-03-2018 at 08:10 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to imaddicted2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:35 PM   #3
IABDTDOW
IABDTDOW is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Steering very difficult when not moving and key fob not working!! Please help!

Thank you my friend that was extremely helpful!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IABDTDOW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IABDTDOW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IABDTDOW is offline   Reply With Quote