SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2018, 04:21 PM   #1
00_SL1
00_SL1 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
Default Wierd occurance after every cold start

Hi all. About two months ago I started noticing my 2001 SL2 5 speed will act like I have slammed on the brakes for a split second within driving the first 100 yards or so. This only happens on a cold engine start, after being warmed up, I can shut it off to run into the library to grab my next hold, or pump some gas, and this doesn't happen. A couple months ago, this was a very seldom occurrence (that I noticed) but this past two weeks, it is every time, every single cold start, and it only happens once then it's fine no matter how far I drive.

I have no codes, no dash lights, all systems normal

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should check, or look at?

01 SL2
04 Silverado
06 Uplander
05 Express

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 00_SL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 00_SL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
00_SL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2018, 04:37 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1
Default Re: Wierd occurance after every cold start

At 100 yards or so, are you just shifting into second gear, or does there seem to be anything with the clutch n shifting process? How many miles on the clutch and the related parts... throwout bearing n clutch plate?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:42 PM   #3
00_SL1

2001 SL2

It happens whether or not i'm shifting, driving in 1st 2nd 3rd ... Miles on car are 168.xxx all original as far as I know

01 SL2
04 Silverado
06 Uplander
05 Express

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 00_SL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-23-2018, 04:55 PM   #4
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

2001 SL1

Have you tried letting the car warm up a bit longer before starting out to see if it changes anything?
And does this slamming on of the brakes feeling jerk you forwards in you seat?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-23-2018, 05:12 PM   #5
00_SL1

2001 SL2

I've tried letting it warm up before driving and it still happens. The first couple times this happened it did throw me forward a bit, I wasn't expecting it.

I have tried "spirited" acceleration and it could be all in my head, but I would swear I feel the car hesitate a split second, otherwise not noticeable to speak of.

01 SL2
04 Silverado
06 Uplander
05 Express

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-23-2018, 05:13 PM   #6
00_SL1

2001 SL2

It could be the car is feeling a bit of anxiety. The wife and I decided to put it up for sale in January. I can't bring myself to sell it like this without trying to figure it out first.

01 SL2
04 Silverado
06 Uplander
05 Express

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-23-2018, 06:51 PM   #7
toggenburg
Master Member

2001 SL1

What is your gas mileage in the city and on longer trips? Has mileage changed recently?
Feeling like the brakes slammed, enough to throw you forward, and now the car acts like it slightly hesitates might be plugs, wires, summat bogging down due to just not warmed up enough...or even the ECTS is bad, that's why mileage questions, and to see if you have an excessively long high idle on cold start.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-23-2018, 06:56 PM   #8
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Does this "braking" problem feel as though it exists in the front or rear of the vehicle?

If this issue was experienced during a test drive it would certainly make the sale more difficult. I believe that you need to correct this problem in advance of selling the car. Based on what you're describing, it seems as if a caliper is temporarily hung up. Frankly, it's not logical, but perhaps the cold weather is generating an "out of the ordinary" braking behavior. At any rate, if this were my car I would look closely at the brakes to make sure they're working as they should and perhaps add some appropriate braking lubricant in the right places.

Another thought just came to mind. There may be an ignition problem. It's possible to have a very brief loss of spark to the engine provide this type of action you're experiencing. It happened with my former spouse's '88 Grand Am 2.3L and it would feel as if there was a brief "jolt" for us in the cabin. It turned out to be a bad coil pack housing which contained the contacts to the spark plugs (in essence, it was like a complete set of ignition wires). I know that your engine's ignition isn't set up that way. I'm merely describing the thing I'd experienced.

287,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 02-23-2018 at 07:05 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:32 AM   #9
trottida
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post

Another thought just came to mind. There may be an ignition problem. It's possible to have a very brief loss of spark to the engine provide this type of action you're experiencing. It happened with my former spouse's '88 Grand Am 2.3L and it would feel as if there was a brief "jolt" for us in the cabin. It turned out to be a bad coil pack housing which contained the contacts to the spark plugs (in essence, it was like a complete set of ignition wires). I know that your engine's ignition isn't set up that way. I'm merely describing the thing I'd experienced.
This would be a good place to start. I had a similar experience to yours with my 2001 SL1 and it was resolved by replacing the spark plug wires and spark plugs.

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (417,500 km @ 05/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (260,870 km @ 05/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (111,176 km @ 05/2018)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:20 AM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

With 168k miles, well worn parts may be a hidden issue. What's fuel pressure while idling and driving? Tried removing the upstream exhaust manifold O2 sensor to test for a damaged catalytic converter?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:35 PM   #11
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00_SL1 View Post
I've tried letting it warm up before driving and it still happens. The first couple times this happened it did throw me forward a bit, I wasn't expecting it.

I have tried "spirited" acceleration and it could be all in my head, but I would swear I feel the car hesitate a split second, otherwise not noticeable to speak of.
One of the members here recently posted about a stumble of sorts at a certain coolant temp IIRC. You might have something similar going on. But my first suggestions would be to check the basics. Sometimes misfires and basic state of tune stuff will be obvious only under certain conditions at first.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:10 AM   #12
00_SL1

2001 SL2

Would it surprise anyone to know this problem all but disappeared since it got warm out? I haven't done any troubleshooting, just waited to see if the problem would get worse, but it never did. I have daily driven this to boot.

This morning I let the car run for ~2 minutes, and slowly accelerated and this issue did not occur.

01 SL2
04 Silverado
06 Uplander
05 Express

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-17-2018, 03:18 PM   #13
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ Does this mean we won't hear from you again until next February?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:40 PM   #14
00_SL1

2001 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
^ Does this mean we won't hear from you again until next February?
Honestly, it is entirely possible. I am booked with projects this summer so the car is on the back burner. I will keep you posted as much as possible.

01 SL2
04 Silverado
06 Uplander
05 Express

REWARD EXCELLENCE!