SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2018, 01:13 AM   #1
blackbeard
blackbeard is on a distinguished road

1993 SC1
Thumbs Up Need Your Opinions on Something...

As the headliner on my SC1 continues to disintegrate into oblivion, I thought I might search for a creative replacement.
This is from an FRS.

Tasteful or not?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415143652.972602.jpg (84.4 KB, 35 views)

The only difference between an idiot's arguement and a knife is that the knife has a point.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackbeard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackbeard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2018, 01:22 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Need Your Opinions on Something...

You'd really want to test just how little glue to use before going hog-wild with that idea. With the standard solid-color foam backed headliner fabric you can go crazy with the glue and it'll still look fine but without the foam backing to soak up the glue it'll tend to leak through the fabric and look like as----"not awesome" lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:51 AM   #3
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeard View Post
Tasteful or not?
Oh no that is definitely not tasteful.
It is practical, though. With cigarette in hand, you could make wildly gesticulating hand motions while talking with your passengers! A few glowing ember streaks on the Carina Nebula will never show! Use it.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:45 AM   #4
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Wrench Re: Need Your Opinions on Something...

I don't know about "tasteful" or not, but it is interesting.

To echo a previous post, people have tried many materials to re-cover the headliners in these cars.
Terry cloth, for example.
It works quite well actually but as fetchitfido said, any excess glue will soak through and make a mess.
Best just to stick with standard foam-backed headliner material in my opinion.
It is very forgiving material to work with.

Oh, and whatever you do, do NOT use contact cement.
It will let go in the summer heat and you will not be happy.
Use 3M 08088 trim adhesive or similar high-temperature high-strength adhesive.
JoAnne fabrics is a good source for headliner material but color choices tend to be limited (any color you want as long as you want black, tan or gray).

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:30 PM   #5
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I recovered my son's 2002 SL2 using proper headliner material sourced from yourautotrim.com. Cost with the adhesive was about $30 to $40. Last month me and my other son did his 2003 L300 and both look superb. on the sl2 we had enough headliner material left that we could recover his sun visors which were also past it. That site also allow you to purchase a swatch chart, which I did. Made picking the right headliner much better. Of course you can buy from Joannes Fabrics, etc, but l felt it better to get the right stuff, rather than mess about. Both their cars will I feel hold their resale values much better as a result.

For that level of cost, why mess about with 'creative alternatives? if a job is worth doing, do it properly!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:42 PM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Depends on what you drop or smoke before hand

hey, it's your car. 99.9% of us will never look at your car's ceiling.

I went with gray, but I'm an old fart.
Hey, git off my lawn!

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:56 PM   #7
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Wrench Re: Need Your Opinions on Something...

Yes, I tried getting some material to match my interior from an actual automotive headliner place.
It wasn't enough of a match for me to keep it (pureed carrot baby food orange/yellow or something perhaps even a bit more disgusting).
So I just bought black from JoAnne fabrics and had done with it.
It was the exact same material, only cheaper.

I used it for my sun visors and door panels as well.
It has held up beautifully for 8-9 years now.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:50 PM   #8
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeard View Post
As the headliner on my SC1 continues to disintegrate into oblivion, I thought I might search for a creative replacement.
This is from an FRS.

Tasteful or not?
Damn!!!

Who needs a moon roof??

I have replaced a half dozen or so headliners. I use Scotch 777 spray adhesive - and material from Walmart. Average cost $10.....

Nobody ever notices - so I count it as a job well done....

That one will probably get noticed - but I wouldn't complain....

As long as it' s not hanging down and touching my hair....

92 SC2
93 SC2
93 SW2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
3 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote