SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2018, 07:27 PM   #1
Vue6
Vue6 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line
Default 2006 vue rl steering rack replacement

...JUST WONDERING TO THOSE THAT HAVE HAD TO REPLACE THEIR STEERING RACK, WHAT BRAND DID YOU GO WITH AND HOW ARE THE WARANTIES? GOING TO BE DOING THIS JOB ON MY VUE SOON, THANX FOR THE INFO, DC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue6 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2018, 10:41 PM   #2
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Default Re: 2006 vue rl steering rack replacement

Haven't done it but would get ACDELCO 36R0054 {#19320152} Professional; Remanufactured with lifetime warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:10 AM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vue6 View Post
...JUST WONDERING TO THOSE THAT HAVE HAD TO REPLACE THEIR STEERING RACK, WHAT BRAND DID YOU GO WITH AND HOW ARE THE WARANTIES? GOING TO BE DOING THIS JOB ON MY VUE SOON, THANX FOR THE INFO, DC
While not a VUE owner, I have done this job by myself (no assistance - just me) on my LS1 a little over a year ago. I'm guessing, but I believe that the mileage was approximately 260K at that time. Another formerly active member who had an L-Series car with the ECOTEC 2.2L had replaced his rack and pinion gear with a unit from Detroit Axle. I decided to use them as well. They were the least expensive choice available and that included shipping costs as well.

A limited lifetime warranty is available and merely requires the return of the core (at no charge to the customer) back to Detroit Axle. No core return, no warranty. Thus far, I have had no problems with the replacement rack and pinion gear by Detroit Axle. I was surprised by how much it had tightened up the steering on the car after the job was completed. I had to adjust my feeling at the wheel and steer less than I had been doing prior to replacing the rack. (This is not to say that the steering was particularly loose before, but it the difference after replacement was very noticeable.) The only thing I didn't care for was their coating of black paint on the unit. Oh well... Oh yes, an alignment was inevitable in my case and I suspect it will be for most members who tackle this job.

The tie rod ends should be replaced when the r/p gear is replaced. Suggestion: one should purchase sealed, non-greaseable tie rod ends. They last a long time so why bother with greaseable tie rod ends? The factory original tie rod ends on my car were the sealed type. I purchased the replacement tie rod ends from Detroit Axle also and wish I had done otherwise as they were the greaseable type. So I had to purchase a grease gun merely to service two new tie rods ends. To me, it was an unnecessary expenditure and it wastes time when I service my car. What I need to do now is purchase 90 degree grease fittings so that they can be accessed more easily. The tie rod ends are so close to the inside of the rim that it's too difficult to attach the grease gun's hose end to their fittings...rather annoying.

298,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:55 AM   #4
Vue6
Vue6 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

...THANX, ANYONE USE THE AUTOZONE R/P 'S ? THEY HAVE PRETTY GOOD WARRANTIES ALSO, THANX, DC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue6 is offline   Reply With Quote