SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2018, 03:45 PM   #1
MomsL200
MomsL200 is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default 2003 l 200

Hi,

I have a 03 Saturn L200 w/26k miles on it in as you can imagine mint condition. Yes! I said 26k miles. It was my moms which she only drove locally. As she got older it was seldomly used at all & sat parked in her garage. Upon her passing in 2013 the clock read 24k. It was bequeathed to me & is now my wifes car. Recently the alternator and battery were replaced an a lot of odd things surfaced. Interior locks will only activate when taken out of park & will not auto open when put back into park. I replaced the low beams w/LED's and their a lot less brighter than the original ones. When you enable the high beams in auto they will not turn on unless you take it out of auto. After exhaustive research it's obvious the BCM is on it's way out. I bought a used one from ebay, but I here it will start reading the donor cars stats once plugged in. Since the car is a cream puff w/such low miles I'm willing to invest in a new BCM. Would it have to be pgm'd, and is there a easier way to get to the old one other then removing the whole dash?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MomsL200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MomsL200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MomsL200 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2018, 04:02 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2003 l 200

A new blank bcm can only be programmed by GM. This ensures the authorized dealer using GM scantool equipment, Tech II, will copy the original mileage read off the odometer/bcm is programmed into the new bcm along with reprogramming any remotes you bring to them to mate to the new bcm. Used BCMs retain mileage and cannot be altered (anti tampering laws despite several declaring so and so (Acme?) electronics shop can alter mileage). No one has ever proven used bcm mileage were altered. No one. Used BCMs will invariably show higher mileage when plugged into your car after a 30 minute relearn (marrying) procedure compared to your very low mileage car living its life in a garage. Its probably worth replacing the bcm at any GM dealer that can still perform this on a discontinued car. Call ahead to ask to anticipate any issues if one dealer cannot and either recommend another or you call around on your own to ensure a dealer can acquire and program a new bcm.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:08 PM   #3
MomsL200
MomsL200 is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Dealer!! Now that's a dirty word in my vocabulary. I have an excellent, reasonable, honest mechanic. Can it be done by anyone other than a GM dealer? So I guess I should just return the used BCM & go for a new one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MomsL200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MomsL200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MomsL200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:52 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If your mechanic cannot program blank BCMs with GM's Tech II scantool or cannot guarantee programming a new bcm world issues as GM will then you have no other recourse but to see a dealer. It's been reported here sometimes where licensed locksmiths have scantools either of GM brand or other and can preform programming for Passlock issues but again you have to ensure the person can program a new blank bcm to put in mileage and add your remotes then guarantee the work. I understand your feelings against dealers as I have only used GM once and haven't needed them. BCMs are only programmed when new, blank and with GM's scantool, no other equipment. No third party equipment has ever been posted that duplicates a Tech II as its used on every GM model, a very powerful tool. Ford, Chrysler and others have their versions too.

Since you already have a used bcm, go ahead and try it. Use the 30 minute relearn procedure and accept the fact that you lose your remote capability and your mileage will reflect the used bcm retaining mileage from the donor car. Remotes can be programmed but again, using GM's Tech II scantool. As an aside, GM needs only ten minutes to marry a bcm to the ECM, with a Tech II scantool.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-23-2018, 04:58 AM   #5
soulsurvives
soulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I would have a new bcm installed by a dealer so that your mileage is kept. Also access to the bcm is thru the glove box opening so no need to remove the dash. Lastly ditch the led headlights. Led bulbs do not work good in projectors at all, I've tried several. I have hid bulbs in my 2003, but I did modify the projectors so that driving in snow at night doesn't look like I'm going thru hyper space LOL.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to soulsurvives's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help soulsurvives reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
soulsurvives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:45 AM   #6
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurvives View Post
I would have a new bcm installed by a dealer so that your mileage is kept.
I agree with this. MomsL200, I understand your reticence to go to a dealership for any work to be done. In this case, however, it is the wise choice. Further, if they are supplying the part and are doing the programming then you have a warranteed service. Otherwise, if you provide your own new BCM - you can and they're less expensive when purchased that way - the work will not be guaranteed. (This guarantee concern is a common practice whether you're dealing with an independent repair shop or a dealerhsip.) It's your car and the choice is yours as to how you wish to deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurvives View Post
Also access to the bcm is thru the glove box opening so no need to remove the dash.
That's right. The BCM sits atop the glove box. If you empty the box and look inside at the top of it you'll see plastic tabs hooking through; that's part of the BCM's case. Access to the BCM requires removing the glove box door and removing the box. The wires connected to it will limit the amount of movement of the glove box once its loose unless you choose to remove the wire connectors first (if you can get your hands up into that space at the rear, and top of the glove box).

293,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:17 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

"programming a new bcm world [without] issues as GM will then you h"

"can preform [perform] programming for Passlock"

Google on my tablet choosing words, forcing me to proof read more than necessary......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-23-2018, 01:24 PM   #8
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2

The BCM issue aside, a 15 year old car that has done 26K miles 'may' look in 'mint condition', but believe me, unless maintenance has been kept up on it, it will not be. By my calculation the car achieved 33 miles per week over that time.

As cars get older most rubber parts will start to harden and/or perish, so suspension bushing, flexible brake hoses, etc etc, will all need careful inspection. Other components may fail, not through usage, but through age.

As you have already stated the battery & alternator have bitten the dust and you are seeing 'odd thing happen'. The odd things will be as a result of under use, not over use. Cars perform and last best when they are operating at temperatures they designed for, not running on choke.

It is arguable that a car with a higher mileage done on interstates and maintained as per schedules, will be a better bet than one that has been a weekly shopper car.

BUT if the body and interior are in good condition, parts can be replaced. Just gotta be prepared for the cost of that AND finding them with an orphan car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:20 PM   #9
DuaneL
DuaneL is on a distinguished road

Found a BCM to fix a the fuel gauge, odometer and water temp. Many thanks for all the advice about the thirty minute relearn. Two tries then the car fired up fuel gauge, water temp and new odometer reading. Bringing an '02 L200 back to life.

'02 L200
rebirth 2/18

If your willing to loose the mileage, a junkyard replacement could work. Following advice in this forum find one as close to the same year model as your car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DuaneL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DuaneL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DuaneL is offline   Reply With Quote