SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2018, 01:20 PM   #1
saturnfamily2
saturnfamily2 is on a distinguished road

Default 2004 VUE FWD - possible power steering/axle ??

Hello,

I have a 2004 VUE (FWD) with 160,000 miles on it; I'm the original owner. About four months ago, a new 'whine' started - it overlays the normal engine noise. I haven't taken it in because I haven't been able to pinpoint the issue... until (maybe) now, so I thought I'd run it by you.

First, the 'whine' is at a higher pitch the faster I go, and a lower pitch the slower I go, and it winds down with deceleration. It sounds kind of like a commuter jet plane that sounds kind of 'tinny'.

Anyway, a couple days ago, when I was on the freeway, (while using cruise control, which takes away speed changes as a factor in the noise) I noticed that the whine changes tone when I turn the wheel slightly... to the left, the pitch of the whine increases; to the right, the pitch goes a little lower.

This led me to wonder whether it's something to do with power steering (?), an axle (?), a belt related to steering (?)? Again, I've driven this car for 14 years, so when others get in the car and I try to point out the noise, they say, isn't that just the engine? NO. It's a sound on top of the general engine noise - the engine is incredible (V-6). This is a new sound/whine.

Any thoughts? Thanks so much in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnfamily2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnfamily2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnfamily2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2018, 01:51 PM   #2
blaster88
blaster88 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Re: 2004 VUE FWD - possible power steering/axle ??

Possibly wheel bearings? The fact that it changes with wheel turn makes me think maybe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blaster88's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blaster88 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blaster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:21 PM   #3
GMDad
GMDad is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

And they are noted for failing. The accelerating and decelerating will show up in the bearings as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GMDad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GMDad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GMDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:04 PM   #4
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L

As mentioned, Vue's are known for failing front bearings..

I just replaced mine in January, Mine were creating a kind of rumbling sound and vibration. I beat them out, but there are several other tricks that may work better. I just seen a thread recently about this..

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:02 PM   #5
saturnfamily2

Thank you - I am going to get the wheel bearings checked this week.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturnfamily2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-28-2018, 10:20 PM   #6
newbievueowner
newbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the rough

2006 VUE Red Line

Sure sounds like the classic Vue WB failure...

Saturn Vue: The 250 HP tupperware

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to newbievueowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help newbievueowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
newbievueowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:45 AM   #7
saturnfamily2

It WAS a wheel bearing. Thanks again, everyone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!