SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2018, 08:52 PM   #1
NWSaturn247
Advanced Member
NWSaturn247 will become famous soon enough

1993 SL2
Default Replacing ECM

I am browsing Craigslist advertisements and came across a 2002 stripper SC automatic with 122k miles for $800. The owner said the vehicle was running rough so he took it to a shop and they said it needed a new ECM, coil packs, plugs and wires. Worth it? What do shops charge to flash the ECM?

1993 SL2 AT - 188k miles
running blend of various SOPUS oils & MGL3614

TCW3 dosed fuel

Goldie: a dame to kill for...watch out squirrels!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NWSaturn247's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NWSaturn247 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NWSaturn247 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2018, 09:22 PM   #2
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1
Default Re: Replacing ECM

Try to get the buyer to clarify his acronyms. The car has an ICM (Ignition Control Module) and a PCM (Powertrain Control Module). The ignition control module is under the coil packs and is easy to change. The PCM is a bit more tricky with 3rd gen cars because it has to get along with the BCM (Body Control Module).

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:51 PM   #3
NWSaturn247
Advanced Member

1993 SL2

My bad, it is the ICM. So I found one on eBay for ~$120 with a 5 year warranty. So parts would be about $200. I would install the parts. What would the dealer labor be to flash the new ICM?

Here is the ad

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...500662592.html

1993 SL2 AT - 188k miles

TCW3 dosed fuel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help NWSaturn247 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-20-2018, 09:56 PM   #4
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

No flash required. Plug and play.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-20-2018, 10:05 PM   #5
NWSaturn247
Advanced Member

1993 SL2

Great! Is this a good deal? I like it has few options to fail, and no sunroof!

1993 SL2 AT - 188k miles

TCW3 dosed fuel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2018, 10:18 PM   #6
BV22
Master Member

2002 SC1

If it looks OK and runs, seems like a reasonable price. The Saturnfans community can certainly help you get it running well.

$120 seems high for an ICM. I bought one at Autozone for less than half of that. Some here recommend getting a junkyard unit rather than aftermarket. I've had no issues with my BDW aftermarket ICM. Personally, I'd just change plugs and wires first, and then run it for a while and see what, if any, codes appear.

A used PCM for $120 sounds about right, but it is very unlikely that the car needs one. These very rarely fail.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

Last edited by BV22; 02-20-2018 at 10:23 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Old 02-20-2018, 10:19 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Pick and Pull 2 coils and the ICM is 20-40$, Aftermarket is junk and expensive.

The price is good as long as the diagnosis is correct.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:04 PM   #8
NWSaturn247
Advanced Member

1993 SL2

H1 is a major shop. Maybe I could offer less but $800 seems pretty cheap.

1993 SL2 AT - 188k miles

TCW3 dosed fuel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-21-2018, 12:07 AM   #9
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

www.car-part.com Price a used ICM/Coil Pack. ICM failure is not common on the S-Series.

Make sure you clean the bolts, that hold the ICM/Coil Packs in place. The bolts act as a ground. Clean the surfaces of the ICM, and use di-electric grease on the pins for the coils. Not much, but a light coating to prevent moisture getting in there. Make sure to use a heat-sink grease on the ICM surface that touches the transmission bell housing surface. And make sure the #1/#4 cylinder spark plug wires are NOT touching each other, overlapping each other, and remain parallel to each other up to their respective spark plugs, or you will get the "Ghost Camshaft Position Sensor" DTC.

As a general rule of thumb, in my personal opinion, it is usually a good idea to replace the plugs and wires, change the oil, flush the coolant, and change the transmission fluid when you buy a used vehicle.

Everyone has their preferences, mine are leaning towards "If I perform the maintenance, then I know it has been done."

This car will likely still have its Death-Kill orange coolant, so you will definitely want to flush all that out and replace with universal gold or green and make sure it is 50/50 mix.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:04 AM   #10
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

ICM failure is actually quite common, you just have to be able to recognize the symptoms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-23-2018, 01:24 AM   #11
NWSaturn247
Advanced Member

1993 SL2

I have not contacted the seller yet. I am not sure if this is an SC1 or SC2. Can I swap the geartooth alloys on my 93 SL2 to this 2002 regardless of DOHC or SOHC?

1993 SL2 AT - 188k miles

TCW3 dosed fuel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-23-2018, 09:04 AM   #12
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Any S-Series wheel fits on any S-Series unless your's has a bent/broken suspension piece. Last guy to have an issue swapping wheels swore until he was blue in the face there was nothing wrong with his car...then his alignment shop was like "Hey dude, you need to replace ___ 'cause it's bent"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #13
NWSaturn247
Advanced Member

1993 SL2

So, if the 2002 happens to have 14 inch wheels, is the circumference the same as the 15 inch spec?

1993 SL2 AT - 188k miles

TCW3 dosed fuel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-23-2018, 03:50 PM   #14
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSaturn247 View Post
So, if the 2002 happens to have 14 inch wheels, is the circumference the same as the 15 inch spec?
Yep (assuming OEM). 14 inch will have taller tires, but overall circumference is the same (or close enough not to worry about). there's a link in this thread, I think

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156001

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:05 PM   #15
NWSaturn247
Advanced Member

1993 SL2

Sweet

My car always logs exactly 5 miles in the highway odometer checks. Hopefully the system in the SC1 records the same inches per revolution.

1993 SL2 AT - 188k miles

TCW3 dosed fuel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-24-2018, 01:24 AM   #16
NWSaturn247
Advanced Member

1993 SL2

Does the 3rd generation S-Series have an Intelligent Oil Life Monitor? If so, what is a typical OCI according to the system?

1993 SL2 AT - 188k miles

TCW3 dosed fuel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-24-2018, 10:13 AM   #17
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Supposedly, and it runs out to a longer interval for most people 4000-5000 miles I believe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-24-2018, 09:59 PM   #18
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
I have not contacted the seller yet. I am not sure if this is an SC1 or SC2. Can I swap the geartooth alloys on my 93 SL2 to this 2002 regardless of DOHC or SOHC?
Get the 8th digit of the VIN, and you can verify which engine it is. The tenth digit of the VIN will confirm the model year.

Eight Digit VIN Codes:
VIN "7" = DOHC
VIN "8" = SOHC

Tenth Digit VIN Codes:
VIN "Y" = 2000
VIN "1" = 2001
VIN "2" = 2002

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-24-2018, 10:06 PM   #19
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
Does the 3rd generation S-Series have an Intelligent Oil Life Monitor? If so, what is a typical OCI according to the system?
Checking the oil at every refuel, per the owner's manual, and topping off as needed. Whatever the actual OCI programming is, it is likely that the engine will be using small amounts of oil. And regardless of consumption/OCI programming, the Maintenance Schedule will call for 3-month/3,000-mile OCIs for cars used under city driving, short trips, towing, or in dusty climates & 6-month/7,500-mile OCIs for vehicles that are only used for highway driving. These cars were only ever shipped with conventional oils at the factory, and were discontinued well before GM DEXOS-I synthetic specs were even thought of.

Ignore the "dummy light" on the dash, and monitor your oil level/OCIs as you would for your 1993 model S-Series, and just hit the reset button on the fuse panel under the hood as needed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2018, 09:11 PM   #20
NWSaturn247
Advanced Member

1993 SL2

When I purchase my 3rd gen Saturn, I will probably change the fuel filter ASAP.

Is there currently a quality alternative to the Wix 33731? The cheapest Wix filter was $45.55 on eBay

Ouch

I did see on the O'Reilly website that the MicroGard part has the same model number so MAYBE made by Wix. Currently Wix makes the MicroGard oil filters.

1993 SL2 AT - 188k miles

TCW3 dosed fuel

Last edited by NWSaturn247; 02-25-2018 at 09:26 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!