SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2018, 12:06 PM   #1
SL1Noob
SL1Noob is on a distinguished road

Default SL2 icky oil

So I bought a 1996 SL2 about 1 month ago for $600. Only real thing I saw wrong with it was it needed some motor mounts and the valve cover was leaking cause some monkey snapped one of the bolts causing the cover to leak a little. I got the mounts fixed but not the cover yet, it doesn't leak that much.

So i checked the oil this morning and nothing. Well I thought that was interesting. So I bought some and went to put it in. Needless to say what I saw when I opened the cap was not oil. See pictures.

I have no engine lights and the engine runs solid.

On a scale of 1 to 10. How screwed am I.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg received_10160001544445174.jpg (139.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg received_10160001544955174.jpg (167.0 KB, 16 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL1Noob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL1Noob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL1Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2018, 12:47 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: SL2 icky oil

Yellowish foamy build up under the oil cap is a direct result of moisture condensation. Sludge. As engines breathe, sealed emissions control systems force engines to vent blowby gases from normal combustion leaking past piston rings of all vehicles to create internal crankcase pressures. Blowby gases and moisture settling in motor oil overnight are normally boiled out during driving and fed into the intake air manifold for recycling. Frequent short trips never allows an engine to reach operating temperatures, leaving motor oil with moisture. The sludge under the oil cap is moisture, oil and combustion blowby never heating up enough to separate and leave the engine crankcase. Sludge is normal buildup and usually goes away from regular driving. Driving over 15 minutes or 10 miles on the highway allows the engine to heat up and boil out any sludge build up. If you're concerned about motor oil contamination, replace oil and filter to start out with fresh oil.

And if you weren't aware, you posted in the L-series tech forums where you should be posting in the S-series tech forums where all the S-series members are frequently posting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:59 PM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

As best I can tell, you've got antifreeze in the crankcase oil. This can have at least three different causes. Since I can't know what the source is I won't go into conjecture regarding this. On your scale of "one to ten" it varies between as low as 4 up to 10 depending upon the cause of the problem.

BTW, you've posted in the L-Series Tech Forum. You might want re-post the message into the S-Series Forum area.

293,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:42 AM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

SL1Noob, fwiw, I would be very happy to be wrong about what I posted previously and very happy to learn that fdryer's posted information is correct!

293,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:41 PM   #5
timl865
timl865 has a spectacular aura abouttiml865 has a spectacular aura abouttiml865 has a spectacular aura about

My sc2 does that.. it's just condensation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to timl865's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help timl865 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
timl865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:29 PM   #6
SL1Noob
SL1Noob is on a distinguished road

I do have a valve cover with a leaky spot in it because of a broken bolt. Not my doing. I planned on fixing it this weekend and got super sick and slept most of the weekend. I plan on replacing the gasket I have extra bolts and the big thick grommets that go with them and got some ez out bits, hopefully I won't have to use them. Also I noticed the hose on the top has a big crack in it so that will be taped/replaced eventually. I think k this how some of the excess moisture is getting in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL1Noob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL1Noob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL1Noob is offline   Reply With Quote