SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2018, 02:52 AM   #1
IonNinja
Advanced Member
IonNinja is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Where do these wires go? 2005 Ion 2

Finally trying to get my Ion back on the road after being down for a few years and don't remember where these go

They look like they go to the starter but none of the documentation I have shows this...looks like a solid black wire and 3 black/white wires

This is on an 05 Ion 2.2 btw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180218_235537 (Large).jpg (183.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180218_235341 (Large).jpg (171.2 KB, 21 views)

2005 Saturn Ion 2 Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IonNinja's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IonNinja reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IonNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2018, 12:55 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Where do these wires go? 2005 Ion 2

Every starter wiring diagram usually shows three wires - big fat battery cable (red), a smaller wire (red) with it on the same solenoid stud to feed power to the alternator, and another small wire (purple) for the ignition START signal (12v) from the ignition switch. Those three wires color coded black are most likely ground wires to a nearby large stud. Unless someone with an Ion can offer comments, visiting a junk yard to find another Ion may help sort out where these three black wires go......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:04 PM   #3
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I tried to check and see how those wires are connected on my car, but it's a lot harder with the intake manifold installed. My car wouldn't be identical to yours anyways because it's a 2007 which is slightly different than the 2005-2006 models.

I am 100% certain that the black or black/white wires with the big ring terminals are ground connections. They should be connected to the big bolt/stud between the engine and transmission closest to the oil filter housing. The marks on the big ring terminals in your pictures indicate they were previously attached there. Notice how the wear mark is larger on one terminal than the other one. I found a picture that illustrates where they go. Look at items 2, 3, 4, and 5.

Ion_ground_connections.jpg

The other wire in your picture with the smaller terminal appears to be black, but make sure it's not purple. If it is black, I'm not sure what this needs to be connected to.

The wire that goes to the ignition terminal (the smallest one) on the starter solenoid is purple, but you definitely do not want to connect any ground wires there.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 179K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 190K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:33 AM   #4
IonNinja
Advanced Member

2005 ION-2 Sedan

thanks guys, that helps a lot.

Placed them as pictured in the diagram and I think we should be good to go there. Previously I was running this large ground wire to that location so now I have to figure out where that ground is supposed to go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180220_220756 (Large).jpg (130.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180220_220806 (Large).jpg (155.2 KB, 9 views)

2005 Saturn Ion 2 Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help IonNinja reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-21-2018, 10:46 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Examine that large gauge ground wire to where it ends on the other end. If I'm not mistaken, you're looking at a main ground wire. The end may be connected to battery negative, engine block or chassis. If the other end is connected to the chassis, the end you're holding connects to the engine block. Main grounds; battery negative to chassis and engine block so the entire vehicle has two main ground paths from the battery to all electrical grounds. The engine mounts aren't ground connections so two main cable grounds are needed between the battery, chassis and engine block.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-21-2018, 12:56 PM   #6
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonNinja View Post
thanks guys, that helps a lot.

Placed them as pictured in the diagram and I think we should be good to go there. Previously I was running this large ground wire to that location so now I have to figure out where that ground is supposed to go
I can't tell in the pictures you posted, but if that ring terminal has a 90 degree bend on it, then it actually goes on the same stud as the others.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-21-2018, 02:34 PM   #7
IonNinja
Advanced Member

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Examine that large gauge ground wire to where it ends on the other end. If I'm not mistaken, you're looking at a main ground wire. The end may be connected to battery negative, engine block or chassis. If the other end is connected to the chassis, the end you're holding connects to the engine block. Main grounds; battery negative to chassis and engine block so the entire vehicle has two main ground paths from the battery to all electrical grounds. The engine mounts aren't ground connections so two main cable grounds are needed between the battery, chassis and engine block.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
I can't tell in the pictures you posted, but if that ring terminal has a 90 degree bend on it, then it actually goes on the same stud as the others.
the other end goes to the chassis, just in front of the coolant reservoir...and yes it's got a 90 degree bend on the terminal

2005 Saturn Ion 2 Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-21-2018, 04:15 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonNinja View Post
the other end goes to the chassis, just in front of the coolant reservoir...
Examine the chassis connection to this ground wire. There should be another cable connecting chassis ground to battery negative. If correct, connect the loose end to an engine bolt nearby with enough strain relief to allow for some engine movement since the engine mounts allows some movement to absorb engine vibrations. Cables and wire harnesses have extra lengths to accommodate engine movement without straining, stretching or damaging them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-21-2018, 04:31 PM   #9
ruley73
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Examine the chassis connection to this ground wire. There should be another cable connecting chassis ground to battery negative. If correct, connect the loose end to an engine bolt nearby with enough strain relief to allow for some engine movement since the engine mounts allows some movement to absorb engine vibrations. Cables and wire harnesses have extra lengths to accommodate engine movement without straining, stretching or damaging them.
Yes, it's called the chassis. The battery is located in the trunk in the Ion. There is a short cable that goes from the negative battery terminal to a flimsy bracket in the trunk that provides a ground connection for the whole car. So, I guess technically you are correct.

I think the OP was telling us (not asking) the other end of the main ground cable goes to the chassis, just in front of the coolant reservoir. There is a stud there for that exact purpose, again, because the battery is in the trunk.

Last edited by ruley73; 02-21-2018 at 04:37 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-21-2018, 04:51 PM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ Yes, you are correct. I'm still thinking battery in the engine bay and not in the trunk for Ions............where the other negative cable connects chassis to battery negative.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2018, 08:55 PM   #11
IonNinja
Advanced Member

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Alright well this is what I ended up with, grounded them all just beneath the oil filter

We'll see if it causes any issues once I get this thing back together
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180226_010247 (Large).jpg (140.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180226_010511 (Large).jpg (111.9 KB, 8 views)

2005 Saturn Ion 2 Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-03-2018, 01:51 PM   #12
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Glad you got it sorted.

Sorry to hear your car was laid up. I've admired it for years. The color is not common and the mods you have made are tasteful and subtle.

Keep us all posted on your progress and I am happy you're getting it back on the road.

What's that they say ? "Represent" !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:35 PM   #13
IonNinja
Advanced Member

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation84 View Post
Glad you got it sorted.

Sorry to hear your car was laid up. I've admired it for years. The color is not common and the mods you have made are tasteful and subtle.

Keep us all posted on your progress and I am happy you're getting it back on the road.

What's that they say ? "Represent" !
That's a name I haven't seen in a while, whats up man

As for progress, car is back together and will crank but I cannot get it to start

The injectors aren't firing for some reason and I have no clue why. At one point I was throwing a Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction code so I got a new CKP sensor. The code went away but the car still will not start

So far I've confirmed:
Fuel pump comes on and turns off after 2 seconds as normal with key in ON position
Fuel pressure in the rail
Injectors will click if hooked to a 12V source/ground
Injectors fuse is not blown
Spark plugs do not smell like fuel
New battery

Haven't confirmed but I don't think I'm getting spark either. Not sure what to test next

2005 Saturn Ion 2 Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2018, 01:13 AM   #14
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Verifying fuel pump operation and fuel pressure squirting fuel from the test valve at least shows fuel and pressure at the rail. Not smelling or seeing wet plugs verifies injectors aren't operating (pcm commands injector operation). Check for spark - remove the coil pack/icm/plugs and reassemble them with plugs laid out in the open with plug bases grounded to the engine block. Have someone crank the engine (with plugs removed, zero compression will allow fast engine cranking). Is there spark? What you find out determines which way to proceed. In the meantime, review all your work. Perhaps wiring is disconnected? Fuse(s) blown?

Is the security light OFF during starting?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!