SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2018, 06:01 PM   #1
Rob ion
Rob ion has a spectacular aura aboutRob ion has a spectacular aura aboutRob ion has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan
Default 03 ion stalling

I have an 03 ion 2 that stalls at lights and in parking lots. I posted about it before, but it had trouble codes that I fixed and they are gone. The only code that comes up on my scanner in saturn enhanced mode is p1599, the stall code. So, I am thinking something mechanical or a locked up tcc. Iam not sure a 2003 is smart enough to give a code for that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rob ion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rob ion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rob ion is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2018, 08:59 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 03 ion stalling

1-Every car made for the USA market since 1996 must be OBDII compliant. This means every vehicle manufacturer making and selling their vehicles in the USA must have OBDII self diagnostics with universal error codes to eliminate each manufacturer from creating their own codes requiring specific code readers. Try imagining Ford with their own codes using only Ford readers, GM doing the same, and so on. Now imagine if a GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota and Subaru are owned. The owner would have to buy five different readers just to stay ahead on any error codes from any of his/her five vehicles. Well, this doesn't exist because someone determined not to allow it. OBDII on board diagnostics with error codes are universal so one reader will cover the five vehicles mentioned as well as many others. Your Ion is OBDII compliant and most generic readers can decode the check engine light when an error code is generated. The universal error codes Every USA vehicle stores in memory are 'P' type codes like P0300 for general misfire. 'P' type error codes are emissions related. Other codes are prefixed as 'B', 'C', and 'U'. These codes are usually not readable/decoded by generic readers and requires better readers. 'B' - body codes, 'C' - chassis codes and 'U' - network codes.

In general, if a reader cannot decode a check engine light, power to the OBDII port may be blown, the reader isn't capable, a 'B'/'C'/'U' error may be stored and the reader cannot decode it. The majority of inexpensive readers are only capable of decoding 'P' type codes. As demand grows, other readers are now decoding abs error codes, 'C' type. Anyone shopping for a reader must find out which codes can be decoded. The cheap $20 reader can be assumed to read only a limited number of 'P' type codes and nothing more. More money buys more reader capability.

Autozone is one chain store trying to present the best for customers. Original free readings only covered 'P' type errors. They upgraded to decode abs errors, 'C' codes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:02 AM   #3
yomama604
yomama604 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

It can be almost anything, no? Can you eliminate any potential causes (ie have you recently changed the fuel filter etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob ion View Post
I have an 03 ion 2 that stalls at lights and in parking lots. I posted about it before, but it had trouble codes that I fixed and they are gone. The only code that comes up on my scanner in saturn enhanced mode is p1599, the stall code. So, I am thinking something mechanical or a locked up tcc. Iam not sure a 2003 is smart enough to give a code for that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yomama604's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yomama604 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yomama604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:15 PM   #4
Rob ion
Rob ion has a spectacular aura aboutRob ion has a spectacular aura aboutRob ion has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Okay. New parts are ignition coil coil boots spark plugs ignition control module coil pack and crank sensor. As well as new thermostat and ect sensor and idle air control valve. No codes now. Just the stall code. And yes, I replace the fuel filter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Rob ion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-20-2018, 08:30 PM   #5
Rob ion

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Oh yeah. What idiot designed it so you have to reach over the exhaust to get the top thermostat housing bolt out!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-21-2018, 04:02 AM   #6
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Oh yeah. What idiot designed it so you have to reach over the exhaust to get the top thermostat housing bolt out!
This shouldn't be a problem if you first let the engine cool off before working on it.

The first thing I would check are the engine's ground connections. The main engine ground connection is located at the bolt/stud between the engine and transmission closest to the oil filter housing. There should be at least three ring terminals that are connected there. Make sure everything is good, clean, and tight.

I also found a website that suggested checking a harness for the instrument panel. Link here.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 179K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 190K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:30 PM   #7
Rob ion

2003 ION-2 Sedan

I fixed the grounds where you are talking about. I put all 4 wires into one ring connector. Do they need to be sepetate? It is funny you mention the instrument panel because when I swapped out the ect sensor, the gauge didn't work until I disconnected the plug there and plugged it back in. And where is the connector he speaks of. I have never heard of a pillar garnish.

Last edited by Rob ion; 02-22-2018 at 08:36 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-22-2018, 08:58 PM   #8
Rob ion

2003 ION-2 Sedan

So, I found the connector and it looks brand new. And I just did the front brakes, so I know they aren't locking up. I had it on a $7000 genesis diagnostic machine and when it stalled, they couldn't tell me why.

Last edited by Rob ion; 02-22-2018 at 09:05 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-22-2018, 09:48 PM   #9
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
So, I found the connector and it looks brand new. And I just did the front brakes, so I know they aren't locking up. I had it on a $7000 genesis diagnostic machine and when it stalled, they couldn't tell me why.
Did you at least disconnect and reconnect it a few times? If not, I'd at least do that. The appearance doesn't always tell the whole story because you can't see the actual integrity of the connection. Brakes locking up won't cause the engine to stall with an automatic transmission, so I doubt that's a factor.

The grounds being in one ring terminal shouldn't matter from a functionality standpoint.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-23-2018, 05:41 PM   #10
Rob ion

2003 ION-2 Sedan

I disconnected it 2 or 3 times. Do I need to disconnect the one on the instrument panel?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-24-2018, 02:30 AM   #11
ruley73
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
I disconnected it 2 or 3 times. Do I need to disconnect the one on the instrument panel?
I would. It certainly can't hurt. There is another connector that sometimes causes weird issues. It is located in the driver's side kick panel; left of the driver's feet. Inspect that one and at least disconnect and reconnect it a couple times even if it looks fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-24-2018, 10:16 AM   #12
Rob ion

2003 ION-2 Sedan

The one I found is the one you are talking about. It is under the panel by the hood release. Where is the other one?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2018, 01:23 AM   #13
ruley73
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
The one I found is the one you are talking about. It is under the panel by the hood release. Where is the other one?
My mistake, there's only one plug. I didn't realize the link was referring to the same connector I pointed out in my last post.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-27-2018, 07:38 PM   #14
Rob ion

2003 ION-2 Sedan

I unplugged it 3 or 4 times.

Last edited by Rob ion; 02-27-2018 at 07:47 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-27-2018, 07:41 PM   #15
Rob ion

2003 ION-2 Sedan

So, maybe it is transmission related. If I shift into neutral, let off the brake then shift into gear and hit the gas it doesn't stall. Maybe I need to change the tranny fluid? Or disconnect the plugs on the tranny.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-01-2018, 04:41 PM   #16
Rob ion

2003 ION-2 Sedan

I got a recall on the ignition switch, cylinder, and key. They are going to do it on 3/9. Could that cause the problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-01-2018, 07:26 PM   #17
ruley73
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
I got a recall on the ignition switch, cylinder, and key. They are going to do it on 3/9. Could that cause the problem?
It's possible, but unlikely IMO.

The last suggestions I have would be to:

1) Inspect and clean the connection at the main positive post/jump start stud located on the underhood fuse block.

and

2) Get the battery and alternator tested if you haven't done so already

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-01-2018, 08:32 PM   #18
Rob ion

2003 ION-2 Sedan

I have a new battery and the alternator checked out OK. I will check that connection.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-04-2018, 06:55 PM   #19
rowdydog
Advanced Member
rowdydog has a spectacular aura aboutrowdydog has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line

my Ex.s 06 vue 2.2 was doing basically same thing, almost dying at light, no codes or anything changed the serp. belt, it was kinda floppy, new was stiff and problem went away, could be ac comp. is dragging and making belt slip

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rowdydog's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rowdydog reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rowdydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:39 PM   #20
Rob ion

2003 ION-2 Sedan

So I got the ignition switch recall done. It behaved for a day and that was it. They tested it at the dealership and couldn't find anything at all wrong with it. So I guess we just keep driving it and deal with it. They also looked at the belt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!