SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2018, 03:45 PM   #1
ampecsu
ampecsu will become famous soon enoughampecsu will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
Default Very quick EGR valve question

1995 sl2 (98 motor.)..Over-tightened and broke egr valve while fixing vacuum leak.

Swap guide was little confusing here.

What is the highest year I can pull from to replace? 98?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ampecsu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ampecsu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ampecsu is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2018, 06:43 PM   #2
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Very quick EGR valve question

> I'm not sure-

I think the big change was from thermostatic to electric , about '96.

What i do is look up the part from Autozone/Advanced for your year ('98), and then check if the same part comes up in the lookup for , say 2000, 2001 (etc).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:50 PM   #3
ampecsu

1995 SL2

thanks. looks like at least 94-99

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ampecsu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2018, 07:26 PM   #4
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampecsu View Post
thanks. looks like at least 94-99
How are you using a 1998 engine assembly, in a 1995?

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

Last edited by Saturn Night; 02-19-2018 at 07:32 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:40 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
1995 sl2 (98 motor.)..Over-tightened and broke egr valve while fixing vacuum leak.

Swap guide was little confusing here.

What is the highest year I can pull from to replace? 98?
The EGR (electric) is the same 94-98.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:42 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
How are you using a 1998 engine assembly, in a 1995?
Open or remove hood and install, direct swap except for injectors, all other external parts bolt on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-20-2018, 01:08 AM   #7
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The EGR (electric) is the same 94-98.
1991-1994 Saturn S-Series, ALL engines, used a ported vacuum-operated, mechanical EGR valve.

1995-1998 Electronic EGR valves will interchange.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-20-2018, 01:09 AM   #8
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
Open or remove hood and install, direct swap except for injectors, all other external parts bolt on.
Incorrect, again. Go to www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com, and you will see that a complete engine assembly for 1995 Saturn S-Series is a stand-a-lone year.

This is why I want the OP to explain how he is supposedly using a 1998 model year engine, in his 1995 model Saturn.

I already know the injectors are different. That is not the only difference preventing a 1998 model year from being transplanted into a 1995 model.

Last edited by Saturn Night; 02-20-2018 at 01:15 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2018, 07:16 AM   #9
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the rough

Saturn Night has it right.

94 was the last vacuum actuated.

I have had 3 94s, and still have my 95.

Quite certain on it.

driveable

92 SC2
93 SC2
95 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
97 SL2 - cooked engine
98 SC2 - rusty frame. Donor engine for above SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:50 AM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You are both incorrect, the 94 CA emissions car uses the electric EGR. That 94 CA emissions car was sold into multiple states that adopted the stricter CA emissions. This is where the angle EGR seat to flat EGR seat adapter originated from.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2018, 07:52 AM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Incorrect, again. Go to www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com, and you will see that a complete engine assembly for 1995 Saturn S-Series is a stand-a-lone year.

This is why I want the OP to explain how he is supposedly using a 1998 model year engine, in his 1995 model Saturn.

I already know the injectors are different. That is not the only difference preventing a 1998 model year from being transplanted into a 1995 model.
Quit running off to some idiot listing as it is less than correct. The engine is in his car and runs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2018, 08:11 AM   #12
ampecsu

1995 SL2

...Well the shop put in three years ago what was said to be a '98 ... thats all I know.

The egr I pulled and put on yesterday was from a 99 after checking autozone part vehicle fitment...did I make an oopsy??

the other 2 egr valves either looked oily or too gunky. (still cleaned the one I have before installing)

Any other non-s-series I could check that used the same part if I did in fact goof???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2018, 12:39 PM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The 99 is fine. The EGR is the same for all S-Series applications that use the electric EGR 94-99. The remainder that use the same EGR.

CHEVROLET ASTRO 1995
CHEVROLET BLAZER 1995
CHEVROLET S10 PICKUP 1995
GMC JIMMY 1995
GMC SAFARI 1995
GMC SONOMA 1995
SATURN SC COUPE 1994-1999
SATURN SL SEDAN 1994-1999
SATURN SW WAGON 1994-1999

If it works you are fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2018, 07:52 PM   #14
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
Quit running off to some idiot listing as it is less than correct. The engine is in his car and runs.
That is the part numbers, photos, AND interchange information from GM.

Stop trying to argue, just for the sake of arguing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2018, 08:13 PM   #15
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
...Well the shop put in three years ago what was said to be a '98 ... thats all I know.

The egr I pulled and put on yesterday was from a 99 after checking autozone part vehicle fitment...did I make an oopsy??

the other 2 egr valves either looked oily or too gunky. (still cleaned the one I have before installing)

Any other non-s-series I could check that used the same part if I did in fact goof???
1995-1999 is the EGR interchange, according to GM, and it is Saturn S-Series ONLY.

Part number of a photo, 1996 Saturn S-Series shows to be 21006601.

GM Parts Direct lists this part number as Fitment to 1995-1999 Saturn S-Series, and it is discontinued. GM Parts Direct orders DIRECTLY from GM, for their supply.

1994 Saturn S-Series does NOT come with a FACTORY linear EGR valve. The adapter piece does show in parts diagrams, amd may have been used by special order from California GM dealerships, but factory EGRs were ported vacuum.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2018, 08:56 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Lat time

All CA emissions certified 94 models used the Electric EGR. This model with CA certification was also mandated to be the only S-Series sold new in several other states.

If this is too complex for you to figure out then just PM Low Saturn and he might explain it to you.

Almost every catalog listing you can find has serious errors in it. They are not exactly unimpeachable sources.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2018, 10:31 PM   #17
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

^^^ +1

My '94 came with a linear (electric) EGR valve, and one of my '95s has a '97 engine in it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:38 PM   #18
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
^^^ +1

My '94 came with a linear (electric) EGR valve, and one of my '95s has a '97 engine in it.
So, how is your coolant gauge working?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2018, 11:54 PM   #19
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
I would start looking around you engine bay for butchered wiring, and either your intake manifold/cylinder head, then.

I have a 1995 SC2, with a bad engine. Needs a set of valve seals and a set of rings, and some holes drilled into the pistons. I have been calling around, searching the net, and driving to a variety of salvage yards for replacement cylinder heads, possible teardown/rebuild of the current engine, or a junkyard engine to swap into it that will not burn as much oil.

The COMPLETE engine assembly MUST come from a 1995 Saturn S-Series. If they claim they have installed a 1998 engine, into your 1995 model, they have either made some modifications to your wiring harness and the engine they installed, or they misinformed you of the exact year engine they used.

And I know what the two differences are, between the 1995 engine and the 1996-1998 engine years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-21-2018, 01:03 AM   #20
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Quote:
<3ish posts worth of snip>...And I know what the two differences are, between the 1995 engine and the 1996-1998 engine years.
Careful...you're starting to channel your inner rbar.

If just the EGR broke then you'll be fine taking it from any '94(Cali Emission) -'98. Probably '99-'02 as well, but I wouldn't be surprised if they "officially" changed the response characteristic's of the valve while keeping everything else the same (meaning it'll physically interchange but may not functionally interchange).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote