SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2018, 08:22 AM   #1
Steveprinc
Steveprinc is on a distinguished road

Default ABS light

Hi everyone, I am new to the group I just purchased a 2000 SW2 wagon. And the abs light is on I checked the code with my scanner and it says C0040 brake pedal switch A sub fault. I try to clear the code and as soon as I turn the key on the light goes out for about a second and comes right back on with out even moving the car. Should I replace the brake switch or could it be something else? Thanks in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Steveprinc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Steveprinc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Steveprinc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2018, 09:26 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: ABS light

The brake switch is a multi-section switch and may just need adjustment. Replacement is no fun and adjustment is easier. Check the BRAKE fuse in the UHJB-engine compartment fuse block. Gently lift up on brake pedal after clearing code and then turn key on and see if the ABS self test completes.

Switch Drawing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen-2018-02-19_07-23-20.jpg (23.6 KB, 1 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:20 AM   #3
Steveprinc

Dizzy Re: ABS light

I just tried doing what you said still comes back on. I whent online and checked code c0040 and itís saying right front abs sensor I ohmed the sensor and itís good. I am a little confused.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Steveprinc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Well, you have a Saturn so you are going to find that these code numbers/definitions are not always a perfect match with reality. I will attach all the FSM service info for you as this is a bit more complex than just ohming out the sensor.

Change the file extension on the ABS.txt file to ABS.html and open it in the browser. The rest are the TS charts.

I would guess salty water intrusion and a low resistance connector as the code is setting sitting still.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TifToGif.jpg (122.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg TifToGif_002.jpg (88.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg TifToGif_003.jpg (192.8 KB, 3 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt ABS.txt (3.8 KB, 2 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2018, 12:58 PM   #5
Steveprinc

Well, I just unplugged the right front wheel sensor a have 4.4 volts to the sensor I checked the left front and also have 4.4 volts Then i re checked the codes and I had I code for right front wheel sensor

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-19-2018, 01:05 PM   #6
Steveprinc

I just checked on line and code c0035 is left front sensor. So when the right is unplugged I get no code and there is 4.4 volts so Iím guessing it may be a bad sensor?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-19-2018, 01:23 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The error code C0040 is for the right front wheel speed sensor according to service manuals. If you have voltage on each front connector then its either sensor failure or damaged reluctor (toothed wheel that's detected and helps sensors generate signals.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:49 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveprinc View Post
I just checked on line and code c0035 is left front sensor. So when the right is unplugged I get no code and there is 4.4 volts so Iím guessing it may be a bad sensor?
Sensor is bad as you have power and a code without motion. The reluctor is not involved. Most likely you will find a low resistance to ground on the sensor wiring. Check either side to ground (battery negative) using the highest range on the DVM. Anything less than an open circuit is a fail. This can be caused by a dirty connector so I would clean both sides and see if it helps. The black inline is not likely the cause as it would fault with or without a sensor connected.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!