SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2018, 01:54 PM   #1
rbar
rbar is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
2001 SC2
Dizzy I know, dumb question...

Dumb question I know, but I forgot how to reset the oil light. The 98 SL does not have the oil reset button in the fuse box...HELP!
Thanks in advance!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rbar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rbar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rbar is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2018, 02:23 PM   #2
Jaegweir1259
Jaegweir1259 will become famous soon enough

2002 SC1
Default Re: I know, dumb question...

a 98 sl should have the red button "Oil-R" under the hood fuse box

1. Remove the instrument panel fuse box cover (fuse box located under hood on Saturn)

2. With the ignition switch in the ON position, depress the Oil Reset button for five seconds

3. The change oil lamp should then go off

2002 Saturn SC1, Orange, 1.9L L4 EFI/OHC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaegweir1259's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaegweir1259 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jaegweir1259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:54 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The S-series models up to '99 do not have body control modules hence no oil change indicator or oil reset button. All Saturns from model years 2000+ have BCMs, an oil change indicator and reset button in the main fuse panel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:28 PM   #4
rbar

1999 SC2
2001 SC2

No sir, it does not. Too early for it. Maybe it was not such a dumb question.

Rbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaegweir1259 View Post

1. Remove the instrument panel fuse box cover (fuse box located under hood on Saturn)

2. With the ignition switch in the ON position, depress the Oil Reset button for five seconds

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rbar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rbar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-17-2018, 07:30 PM   #5
rbar

1999 SC2
2001 SC2

Ooooook. So, what's the answer??????

Rbar

QUOTE=fdryer;2265926]The S-series models up to '99 do not have body control modules hence no oil change indicator or oil reset button. All Saturns from model years 2000+ have BCMs, an oil change indicator and reset button in the main fuse panel.[/QUOTE]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rbar's Reputation
Old 02-17-2018, 08:32 PM   #6
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

If you still have an oil light lit on your dashboard, pull out the dipstick and see if there is any oil in your engine. Adding oil, and starting the engine SHOULD extinguish that dashboard light...is this your real question, red light on the dash?

If not, then fdryer clearly answered your original question.
Your car does NOT have an oil reset button.
Only the Gen 3 do, and those models start with the year 2000.

Last edited by toggenburg; 02-17-2018 at 08:38 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:05 PM   #7
rbar

1999 SC2
2001 SC2

Thank you for your condescending reply, worthless as it is.
It does NOT have an oil reset button, but I have reset before, just forgot how. Obviously, noone responding knows how either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
If you still have an oil light lit on your dashboard, pull out the dipstick and see if there is any oil in your engine. Adding oil, and starting the engine SHOULD extinguish that dashboard light...is this your real question, red light on the dash?

If not, then fdryer clearly answered your original question.
Your car does NOT have an oil reset button.
Only the Gen 3 do, and those models start with the year 2000.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rbar's Reputation
Old 02-17-2018, 09:41 PM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

You're the one wanting to reset something that doesn't exist on '91-'99's.

If the red oil can light is on on the dash, that's not a "change oil" light that's generally a "change engine" light.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:06 PM   #9
rbar

1999 SC2
2001 SC2

Wow, this forum used to he a place,tomfind answers, not condescending Torts...

Duhhh...thanks again for restating the obvious.
Are you drunk and not understand the question???

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post

If the red oil can light is on on the dash, that's not a "change oil" light that's generally a "change engine" light.

Last edited by rbar; 02-17-2018 at 10:11 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rbar's Reputation
Old 02-17-2018, 10:07 PM   #10
rbar

1999 SC2
2001 SC2

Don't bother with another reply if you cannot assist, thanks.

Quote:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rbar's Reputation
Old 02-17-2018, 10:15 PM   #11
rbar

1999 SC2
2001 SC2

Just say I DON'T KNOW, if younare clueless, dude.
Regards.

Quote:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rbar's Reputation
Old 02-17-2018, 11:27 PM   #12
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

So which one of these lights in the gauge cluster is making you think there's an OLM to reset?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IP Cluster.jpg (55.0 KB, 22 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:31 PM   #13
Ricketts
Ricketts is just really niceRicketts is just really niceRicketts is just really niceRicketts is just really niceRicketts is just really nice

2000 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbar View Post
Regards.
I've travelled these boards for years, seen all sorts of people, good and bad. I've never felt the need to say this before, but out of all the good honest, hard working citizens that frequent this site, I hope none of them help you with your disgusting attitude. We all make our beds in life and you've just made yours

2000 SC1 - Bone Stock
No power windows, no power locks, no AC, no cruise control...just a good DD that has nothing to break on it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ricketts's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ricketts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:30 AM   #14
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbar View Post
Regards.
You're the one that's clueless. A red oil light on a 98 "S" is NOT an oil change light it's a WARNING that something is SERIOUSLY wrong. In your case both with the car and the driver LOL

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:09 PM   #15
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

You can write the mileage in the owner’s manual in the glove box.
And,
What I do is write the “NEXT @ mileage” on the top of a Post It Note, cut that part off and stick it on the horizontal surface immediately below the fuel gauge.
For example, “NEXT @ 222,600 mi” written on a 100% sticky-backed piece of Post It Note.
Can’t miss it, especially if you are concerned with the health of your piston rings and timing chain.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:43 PM   #16
dummo
Master Member
dummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nice

1997 SW2

Please take a photo of the ‘change oil’ message or the indicator light and post it here.
Has this been resolved?

• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:20 PM   #17
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1

*knocks back 5th shot of Gin*
Time to be condescending to people in a car forum!

1999 Saturn SL1-129k at purchase(may 2016)-139k when wrecked(September 2016)

1999 Saturn SC1(CURSED)-156K at purchase(october 2016)-182k currently (May 2018)

Dodging potholes should be a sport

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonasan308's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonasan308 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonasan308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:28 PM   #18
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

https://carhowto.com/how-to-reset-ch...urn-sl-series/

Here is a link, with the instructions on how-to reset the oil change light on a Saturn S-Series.

As you find, in the instructions, this is ONLY APPLICABLE for the 2000-2002 Saturn S-Series.

The users have previously advised you, of this fact, and your overall attitude towards them was quite unprofessional and I felt you were downright offensive.

GM did not start using Body Control Modules, on ANY product lines, until the 2000 model year.

This light, as well as the "Service Wrench/Service Vehicle Soon" & Security lights are triggered by the BCM.

A 1998 Saturn S-Series does NOT have a BCM, and thus this light will never turn on. It is even more difficult to turn this light on, with a 1998 cluster, due to the fact that there is no bulb installed into the socket.

GM used a production process, in the 1990s, called "de-contenting". The process reduces operating costs, by manufacture of certain parts of the car(such as gauge clusters) to have all the fittings for every feasible option(my 1995 SC2 cluster has the socket for the Service Wrench, but no bulb installed into it), and where the options are not added, rubber and plastic plugs were used to fill in the holes.

This process is obviously evident, when comparing center consoles of the second gen interior:

Power windows are controlled from the same slot, that is replaced by a plastic filler piece that is just large enough to hold a cellular telephone or a small book.

With all that being said, cut the attitude problem and show these people more respect for being polite in their initial responses.

It is a natural human reaction to come off with an attitude, after somebody behaves disrespectfully towards them.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:17 AM   #19
dummo
Master Member
dummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nice

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasan308 View Post
*knocks back 5th shot of gin*
time to be condescending to people in a car forum!
lol ! ! !

• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:33 PM   #20
Jaegweir1259
Jaegweir1259 will become famous soon enough

2002 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaegweir1259 View Post

I was wrong, and was corrected , Thank guys, now I know. LOL

I wonder where he went? maybe realized he actually needed oil?

2002 Saturn SC1, Orange, 1.9L L4 EFI/OHC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaegweir1259's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaegweir1259 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jaegweir1259 is offline   Reply With Quote