SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2018, 12:13 AM   #1
Srjs28
Srjs28 is on a distinguished road

Default Tricks for exhaust manifold bolts

Replacing the motor on my 05 vue. I just canít seem to break loose the exhaust manifold bolts Iíve tried impacts, heat, several socket sizes to avoid stripping, soaked with kroil and pb blaster and hammering on them.
Any tips or tricks you guys have up your sleeve?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Srjs28's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Srjs28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Srjs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2018, 01:15 AM   #2
Srjs28

Default Re: Tricks for exhaust manifold bolts

Also soaked in ATF and Acetone

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Srjs28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-17-2018, 01:18 AM   #3
Srjs28

These are the 3 flange bolts by the way

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-17-2018, 08:15 AM   #4
Bruce Rock
Bruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
2006 VUE 2.2L

[QUOTE=Srjs28;2265888 Iíve tried heat,[/QUOTE]

I haven't tried to loosen those specific bolts, but a good soaking of penetrating oil and RED HOT heat applied to the flange has always worked for me. Work quickly, after 10 or 14 seconds, if it becomes hard to turn, you will have to heat it up again. Reverse motion, like you are cutting new threads, also helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bruce Rock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bruce Rock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bruce Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:23 AM   #5
Srjs28

Will a propane torch be hot enough?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-17-2018, 04:36 PM   #6
Bruce in Montan
Bruce in Montan is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

I've never had any luck using propane for heating bolts...Mapp gas gets a little hotter but acetylene is the way to go if you can. Whatever you use needs to be hot enough to actually get the metal red hot....or very close to it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bruce in Montan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bruce in Montan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bruce in Montan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:35 PM   #7
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srjs28 View Post
Replacing the motor on my 05 vue. I just canít seem to break loose the exhaust manifold bolts Iíve tried impacts,
Wow! an impact will not break it loose?

Try this: Tighten the bolt then try to break it loose. Seems counter intuitive but many times this will work.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:07 PM   #8
Srjs28

Well I got one out. The other 2 are stripped. Supposed to be 14mm but the rust turned it into something other than any tool I have

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-17-2018, 07:06 PM   #9
oldmanina2005vu
oldmanina2005vu will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 2.2L
2008 SKY Red Line

If you are pulling the engine out anyway you might think about just cutting the nuts and studs off at the flange. When you get the engine removed, and the manifold removed from the engine, just cut the remaining stud off and drill and tap a new hole. That is what I did. It is much easier to deal with it out of the car. Just a word of caution, the manifold studs are prone to breaking. Be very cautious when you try to remove the nuts. Spray them liberally with Blaster and let them sit at least overnight. If you break a stud they usually break right at the head.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oldmanina2005vu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oldmanina2005vu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oldmanina2005vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:22 AM   #10
Srjs28

Using my cut off wheel makes me leery around all the raw fuel and gas lines since they are disconnected from the fuel rail

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-18-2018, 08:50 AM   #11
oldmanina2005vu
oldmanina2005vu will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 2.2L
2008 SKY Red Line

I feel your pain!! Irwin makes a bolt/nut extractor socket set that you can pick up at a Lowes store. I hope there is enough clearance to get one on the nut. Other than that an air chisel to break the nut or a nut splitter are options. Good luck and let us know how you succeed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oldmanina2005vu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oldmanina2005vu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oldmanina2005vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:20 PM   #12
GMDad
GMDad is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

A trick I have seen is to get them real hot and then put a Crayon against the shank and the wax will run down into the threads. Seen a shop doing this on a Motorhome. Worked for them and colour of crayon doesn't matter.. lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GMDad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GMDad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GMDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:05 PM   #13
Srjs28

Thanks guys. I had to cut them off with a cutoff wheel. It was tough getting clearance but I managed.
Man there is a lot of work to do to pull this motor

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-18-2018, 04:07 PM   #14
Bruce Rock
Bruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMDad View Post
A trick I have seen is to get them real hot and then put a Crayon against the shank and the wax will run down into the threads. Seen a shop doing this on a Motorhome. Worked for them and colour of crayon doesn't matter.. lol
That's a good technique. I forgot about it or I would have mentioned it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bruce Rock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bruce Rock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bruce Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:41 PM   #15
Tzfbird
Tzfbird will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE 2.2L

I was going to second the crayon/wax idea. I've heard of it before. Otherwise I heat and spray with whatever pent rating oil I have. Then heat and repeat several times. Use the expanding and contracting to draw in the lubricant. I've also been in the position of just drilling out the broken bolt.
Any exhaust fasteners on my vehicles get replaced with stainless. Never a problem again.

Feeling better about yourself step #1: Having the people who think they know everything show you how much they think they know; only to end up failing and then denying the failure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tzfbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tzfbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tzfbird is offline   Reply With Quote