SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2018, 09:40 PM   #1
Bigdoubleb
Bigdoubleb is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default 96 SL2 no radio or chimes

Hello I bought a 1996 Saturn SL2 with 51k miles on it but the radio didnít work and the guy said it was just a blown fuse. So I looked at the fuses when I got home and the radio AND chime fuse lights up with a test light. Also no chime when lights on with doors open. I donít really care about the chime but want to get my aftermarket radio in there but itís nit getting any power. The stock radio that was I. There wouldnít turn on or show the time or anything but all the buttons lights would light up? Any suggestions on why the radio wonít work? Iím assuming Iím have a broken wire somewhere or something. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigdoubleb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdoubleb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigdoubleb is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2018, 10:49 PM   #2
SRGW
Advanced Member
SRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL1
Post Re: 96 SL2 no radio or chimes

This might help.

1995 SL1 233,200 Well Oiled!!
1997 SL1 63,180 Just A Teenager!!
CHECK YOUR OIL!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1996 base radio1 .jpg (146.2 KB, 8 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SRGW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SRGW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SRGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:25 AM   #3
Bigdoubleb

1996 SL2
Default Re: 96 SL2 no radio or chimes

So only thing I really get from that diagram is maybe a short or broken wire in the Orange wore that goes to the chime fuse and maybe the one that goes th the radio fuse. Since I toon a tear light to them and it lit up. Or am I wrong? Sorry know some what about electrical but not a whole lot

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdoubleb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-17-2018, 12:39 AM   #4
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

It is a 1996, so the radio shouldn't be too difficult to pull. I would pull the radio and perform a physical inspection of the 21-pin connector and visible wires. This issue sounds like a damaged wire, but you will want to be thorough with repairing it.

Take your time, as you may need to pull each fuse and check to see if the wires are damaged at the junction block, under the HVAC unit. You will likely need a ľ"-drive ratchet and a 7mm socket, or 8mm socket for separating the junction block to check the wiring.

The kick panels can be easily removed, under the driver/passenger sides, because they are held with velcro.

There is not a lot of clearance, behind the radio, in the 2nd Gen dashes. My 1995 SC2 had a broken antenna wire, when I first got it, because the radio had crushed it against the metal reinforcements for the dash frame.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:55 AM   #5
Bigdoubleb

1996 SL2

Ya the stock radio didnít have any power so I took it out and put in the aftermarket one thinking the stock one just was bad but the pioneer radio also got no power to it. And yea I already have the side panels off when checking the fuses and the chime module. And as you say the junction block are you referring to the fuse box thatís under the hood or the one inside the car in the side panel? Also forgot to mention the fuse box seems like one half of the box the fuses lit up with the test light and the other half of the fuse box not a one lit up, like there is a line dividing the box in 2. Think I might just need a new fuse box?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-17-2018, 01:03 AM   #6
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

I don't know if all fuses are hot, at all times. I would think, since automotive electronic systems are 12v DC, that only some of the fuses are going to be hot when the key is off.

For example, the radio and chime SHOULD be hot, because they are supposed to have power even when the key is off. However, the fuel pump would not be hot, unless the key is ON, because you hear the fuel pump prime once you turn the key to the ON position.

As far as the junction block, it would be the one under the dash kick panels. To my knowledge, there are no relevant fuses to the radio or ignition chime under your hood.

And yes, that junction block DOES actually separate into two halves. The Saturn S-Series is known for having an issue with those junction blocks, when the owner uses the cigarette lighter for a cellphone/gps charger. It causes the wiring to melt, and usually kills the fuel pump(as the cigarette lighter and fuel pump are on the same circuit).

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:44 AM   #7
Bigdoubleb

1996 SL2

Ah alright well thatís good to know. Okay just to make sure before I start I need to check the wires thatís all under the two side panels?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!