SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2018, 06:45 PM   #1
1stTimeSaturn
1stTimeSaturn is on a distinguished road

Default 2009 Vue XR Ambient Temperature Sensor

My apologies if this topic is already posted on this forum!

I have a 2009 Vue XR V6 3.6L (2WD) that is giving me incorrect ambient temperature readings on my dash. My dash is telling me it's 70 degrees outside when, in fact, it's only about 20 degrees!

I'm not finding a whole lot of information posted online about the 2009 Vue XR, so I'm turning to you fine folks for some assistance.

I believe the culprit to be the ambient temperature sensor, which I believe is mounted just behind the front grill, towards the bottom.

I'm just not finding a whole lot of info as to how to remove the front grill assembly, which I believe must be removed for access to the sensor.

Any and all assistance/advice would be greatly appreciated!

2009 Vue XR V6 3.6L

Last edited by 1stTimeSaturn; 02-16-2018 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: Adding additional info

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1stTimeSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1stTimeSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1stTimeSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2018, 08:21 PM   #2
99WhiteC5Coupe
99WhiteC5Coupe will become famous soon enough99WhiteC5Coupe will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2009 Vue XR Ambient Temperature Sensor

I do not have a 2009 Saturn Vue - but helped maintain a family memberís 2006 Saturn Vue (until it was totaled...).

Have you tried removing the radiator close-out panel? It is the panel that is flat and on top of the radiator / condenser assembly. Usually, it is very easy to remove. The hood latch assembly is in the middle of it, and it is usually held on with 6-10 plastic screws. Once removed, you should be able to look inside the cavity and see the sensor. It is usually attached to the radiator shroud or side frame, in front of the a/c condenser. It has a four-wire pigtail and simply plugs-in to the the plastic wiring connector. Most are black.

If you find and remove it, inspect the inside of the wiring harness connector. Often, they are corroded. You can try cleaning the inside with electrical contact cleaner, and when dry, install the new sensor with silicone dielectric grease (to prevent water instruction and corrosion). GM makes a pigtail connector replacement if the connector is too corroded to clean.

I have replaced the sensor on other GM models, including my Corvette. I would buy an ACDelco sensor (not aftermarket), as they are only about $8 - $15.

Good luck.

https://images.wrenchead.com/smartpa...90_Primary.jpg - sensor

https://images.wrenchead.com/smartpa...44_Primary.jpg - connector

Last edited by 99WhiteC5Coupe; 02-20-2018 at 08:30 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99WhiteC5Coupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99WhiteC5Coupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99WhiteC5Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:04 PM   #3
1stTimeSaturn
1stTimeSaturn is on a distinguished road

Hi, 99.

Thank you for your suggestion.

I tried removing the radiator housing cover up at the top, but the sensor is all the way at the bottom, beyond my reach.

What I wound up doing is squeezing my hand through one of the openings at the bottom of the grill and replaced it that way. It was tricky, but I managed!

In the attached pictures, you'll see a view from the front of my car, as well as a view from just off-center (to the left of center). The connector is hanging with a shop towel behind it. There are also pics of the sensor.

When I removed the old sensor, one of the pins was so rusted, that it stayed behind in the connector. A pair of needle-nosed pliers helped get it out.

A shot of WD-40, some contact cleaner (after letting the WD-40 dry), and some di-electric grease, and up back up and running.

The GM part number of the sensor is 15936931. Picked one up for just under $8 from my local GM dealer.

I hope this info helps somebody else!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180217_073030.jpg (101.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20180217_104507.jpg (94.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20180217_104906.jpg (75.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20180217_072957.jpg (61.5 KB, 4 views)

2009 Saturn Vue XR V6 3.6L (2WD)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1stTimeSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1stTimeSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1stTimeSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:50 PM   #4
99WhiteC5Coupe
99WhiteC5Coupe will become famous soon enough99WhiteC5Coupe will become famous soon enough

Iím glad you figured it out. My next suggestion was to be putting the vehicle on ramps and trying from under the front.

Congratulations.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99WhiteC5Coupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99WhiteC5Coupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99WhiteC5Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote