SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2018, 03:48 PM   #1
acdc
acdc is on a distinguished road

Default 2008 Vue XR Transmission issue

I have a 2008 Saturn Vue XR with about 170,000 miles on it. One day I was driving along and the transmission acted like it was stuck in a lower forward gear and the CE light came on. I cleared the code and it went back to normal with no problems. For several weeks it never gave a problem. Now when I start it and go down my drive (downhill) it does the same thing. I clear the code and it does fine. Only does it when cold. I can avoid it doing this by using neutral or low going downhill when cold. It does fine after it warms up. The code it shows is 700. I think this is a catch all for transmission? Any suggestions/solutions/advice? Thanks for any help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to acdc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help acdc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
acdc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2018, 06:28 PM   #2
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the rough

2009 VUE Red Line
Default Re: 2008 Vue XR Transmission issue

May be the TCM...trans control module as a 700 code is a generic code and when you reset it, you have normal functionality. So 'might' be trans computer. With an older car, it maybe 'conductivity' aka connectivity to the trans computer. If you can locate it, remove the connector and check the terminals for corrosion. Cars depend on operating voltage. Be sure to check yours. It should be min. 13.5V when the engine is running. Fault codes can occur when voltage it lower than normal. So there maybe nothing wrong with your trans...but rather the computer or electrical system isn't doing its job.

Those are my suggestions unless you can get another trans code thrown other than 700.

Good luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gm7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:15 AM   #3
acdc

Thanks. Any idea where the TCM is located?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to acdc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help acdc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-16-2018, 03:30 PM   #4
luklyz
luklyz is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

The TCM is inside of the transmission.

What is the status of your wave plate? Any service record? Valve Body laminated discs issue?
Could be multiple things?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to luklyz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help luklyz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
luklyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:53 AM   #5
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the rough

2009 VUE Red Line

Not sure this is related to the 3-5-R waveplate issue because the waveplate failure tends to throw codes more specific to the failure.

TCM for the 3.6L V6 trans I believe is buried in the trans body...or read that some place as mentioned. But the buss aka wiring from the trans does connect as some point to OBDII diagnostics as does the engine ECM because codes are assessed at the OBDII connector in the passenger compartment under the instrument panel. So maybe you could check for corrosion at this juncture.
Again, operating voltage is a big deal for codes being thrown. By virtue of resetting defaults of the TCM and the trans shifting as normal suggests to me an electrical glitch and not a mechanical glitch with the trans.

The challenge of course is addressing this electrical glitch.
Electrical issues sneak up on these aging Vue's as reported on this forum. You can also reseat and or clean the fuse box under the hood which is known to cause a variety of electrical malfunctions.

Good luck with your continued search of this issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gm7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-17-2018, 10:32 AM   #6
acdc

Happy Re: 2008 Vue XR Transmission issue

Thanks for the suggestions. I know all to well about the electrical issues! I had to replace the ECU after a short burned off one of the connectors posts. I spent several hundred at shops who didn’t find it before I got passed and found it myself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to acdc's Reputation
Old 02-17-2018, 10:48 AM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Was fluid level checked?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:05 PM   #8
gm7
Advanced Member

2009 VUE Red Line

what fdryer said. Fluid level affects operating temp level which could throw a code and cool down and reset could explain why function would be restored.
Definitely check the fluid level..great catch fdryer.

Btw, fluid level should be checked on level surface at std operating temperature. There is a dipstick on the 6T70 trans...also where the fluid is added.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Old 02-17-2018, 07:24 PM   #9
acdc

Yes full on fluid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to acdc's Reputation
Old 02-17-2018, 11:28 PM   #10
luklyz
luklyz is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

I would suggest taking it to the dealer for a full scan. The P0700 it an informative code and there could be more transmission codes that your scanner cant read.
Based on my experience with this unit it's most likely the TCM. Unfourtenlly, its part of the valve body. each unit has to be programmed for a specific car (VIN programmed into the unit).
I had a Vue (stuck in the second gear) with P0700 and P0752. P0752 was caused by bad valve body discs. After replacing discs the P0700 was still coming back. I had to take the car to the dealer for transmission relearn procedure because the garage adaptation didn't work.

Here is more information for you.

Reflash Procedure

Please note: Your local dealership can perform the following steps for a nominal charge, after trans installation. If you do not have the proper equipment, do not attempt to perform these procedures.

Visit the GM web site http://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web to verify whether or not the vehicle’s Engine Control Module (ECM) has the latest software updates and calibrations to ensure proper transmission operation and shift quality.

Start and follow prompts on GM Service Programming System (SPS) site.

Verify that the Engine Control Module (ECM) and Transmission Control Module (TCM) are programmed to the latest available factory OEM calibrations. If not programmed properly, the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) warning light on the dash may illuminate, and the powertrain may only operate in failsafe or “limp” mode.

The TCM cannot be reflashed independently – it must be reflashed at the same time as the ECM.

Powertrains equipped with aftermarket calibrations will void the warranty.

SERVICE FAST LEARN ADAPTS

After the replacement transmission is installed and ECM/TCM calibrations are complete, perform a vehicle Service Fast Learn Adapts procedure using the following procedural steps:

Use a suitable scan tool capable of performing the Service Fast Learn Adapts procedure.
Apply parking brake.
Verify transmission fluid temperature (TFT) is between 158°F – 230°F.
With brake pedal applied, move shift selector in and out of gear three times.
Use scan tool to clear any adaptive data that might be stored in the TEHCM.
Select fast learn process from the scan tool menu.
Apply brake pedal.
Shift transmission into DRIVE and maintain vehicle in stationary position; TCM will individually apply clutches and calculate clutch volumes.
Shift transmission into reverse with vehicle stationary; TCM will individually apply clutches and calculate clutch volumes.
Turn engine off for at least 30 seconds.
Open and close door to allow Retained Accessory Power to expire or false DTCs may be set.
After at least 30 seconds, engine can be restarted and scan tool turned off. The Service Fast Learn Adapts process is now complete.

The Service Fast Learn Adapts procedure will not be completed if:

• DTC’s are not cleared prior to fast learn, or new DTC’s are set during fast learn procedure.
• Transmission fluid temperature (TFT) is not between 158°F – 230°F.
• The brake switch is not functioning correctly.
• Throttle position is 0% but engine RPM increases or is fluctuating during the test.
• Park-Neutral switch is not adjusted properly or is not functioning correctly.
• Line pressure control system is not functioning correctly.

GARAGE SHIFT ADAPTS

Next, the Garage Shift Adapts must be completed:

With engine still running and vehicle still secured, verify transmission fluid temperature is still above 86°F.
With engine at idle, shift from REVERSE to DRIVE and leave shift lever in DRIVE for five (5) seconds. After five seconds, shift back to REVERSE and leave shift lever in REVERSE for five seconds. Perform this procedure twenty (20) times (R-D-R-D-R-D...). The shift transitions must be made directly between DRIVE and REVERSE – no stopping in Neutral.
With engine at idle, shift from NEUTRAL to DRIVE and leave shift lever in DRIVE for five (5) seconds. After five seconds, shift back to NEUTRAL position and leave shift lever in NEUTRAL for five seconds. Perform this procedure ten (10) times (N-D-N-D-N-D...).
With the engine at idle, shift from NEUTRAL to REVERSE and leave shift lever in REVERSE for five (5) seconds. After five seconds, shift back to NEUTRAL position and leave shift lever in NEUTRAL for five seconds. Perform this procedure ten (10) times (N-R-N-R-N-R...).
Advise customer that it may take several days of driving for the transmission to fully adapt.

A final system scan is required after the road test, or if problems are detected during the test drive. If codes are present, compare to original code scan recorded prior to transmission replacement.

Use a scan tool to check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) stored by the ECM and the TCM. Perform diagnostic and/or repair procedures to correct these codes prior to returning the vehicle to customer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to luklyz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help luklyz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
luklyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:41 AM   #11
gm7
Advanced Member

2009 VUE Red Line

Very informative post and great advice from luklyz. I too if exhausting all obvious options would seek the best scanner you can find which likely exists at the dealer. If you want to take another stab, you could change auto parts stores and ask them what level scanner they may have available...many offer this service for free. You may catch an auto parts store like Autozone with a top level scanner that can detect the specific code as luklyz suggested.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Old 02-20-2018, 11:14 PM   #12
acdc

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to acdc's Reputation