SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #1
coge4419
coge4419 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default 2 new (to me) 2006 Vues - our journey

Hi all,
Last August my wife and I paid off all our non mortgage debt upon following Dave Ramsey's baby steps. The next day after making our final payment and having no savings (on account of putting everything into debt payoff, minus 1000$) my wife gets into a car accident and totals her 2012 Hyundai Elantra. Luckily she wasn't hurt and it wasn't her fault. The other person's insurance covered everything. We were left with $8500 to either use to put as a down payment on another vehicle or buying a cheap used car. Being Dave Ramsey fans, we quickly turned away from the new car path and veered on finding a dirt cheap car to get us by for a couple of months and place the left over money from the car to begin building our emergency savings fund up. We however had no clue where to begin for a vehicle type. We visited a couple larger used car dealers, but left feeling like the cars were heavily overpriced. It was at this point after much MUCH heated arguing about what we were going to get, that we were just about to give up. We prayed that God would put a good car in our path as we were running out of steam. Finally I went on Craigslist and found a 2006 Saturn Vue for $3900 with 144,000miles. I knew nothing about the vehicle other than it was a small crossover SUV. My wife loved it since it was an SUV and she had been wanting one. I was like great, lets go look at it. Well we went to the location where it was, and it was a tiny dealer lot in the back of a local gas station. Needless to say I was already skeptical. We get in to test drive the Vue and start it up. I noticed it did not sound like a typical GM powertrain starting, odd I thought, but afterall it was a Saturn, the oddball in the group. With my wife driving, she pulls out on the main road and seems like she was flooring it at the time (I come now to realize that was just the beastiness of the Vue power). There were issues, knocks in the back, no ac, and a slight trans shudder. I thought oh well, it can be fixed and it'll help me lower the price. With cash in hand we offered $3400. My wife was happy, which was great, but I felt burdened thinking i just bought myself a maintenance nightmare and a second job. Here's the fun part...... got home and looked up reviews on the car (I know I should have done this first), and they were the best ratings I had seen on a car. I also then saw the word Honda mentioned a couple times within the reivews, I was then like "do we have a Honda engine in this!?". Low and behold we did! and seeing how reliable these were I was pumped!
Once I knew what we had, I began investigating what we would need to get the Vue up to a near brand new condition. I took it in to a "trusted" local shop for inspection and to fix the AC. They ended up finding the broken end links in the back and fixed as well. As I drove it, I was blown away by the smooth strong power this thing delivered and began to fall in love with it.
At this point I have now installed myself:
- Factory Honda Timing belt/Water pump/tensioner and idler pulleys/Serpentine belt
- Upper radiator hose
- New headlight assembly
- GM OEM L&R front wheel bearing assemblies
- OEM Denso spark plugs
- Removed the drive shaft for the AWD (not a fan of the AWD system, more failure points), getting ready to remove the RDM
- Added sound deadening to the entire rear interior
- Removed/reinstalled the passenger door panel because door handle was not opening the car door, this turned out to be the black applique on the side had broken off those small locking tabs and a small piece got lodged in my door latch/release preventing me from opening the car door once it shut.
- Drained/Refilled the trans fluid 4 times, Honda DW1. (This car had already had the campaign done to it for the reprogramming of TCC lockout, and had a tq convertor replaced)
- Mobil 1 5-20 oil change with Fram Tough Guard filter

Its now February and my daily driver (2003 Chevy Monte Carlo 3.4l) finally gave me my last headache. It has 255,000miles on it, but the alternator finally went. At this point, i had replaced most everything on the car and was just getting tired of it. We decided to look for another Vue we love them so much. Found a great 2006 single owner Vue in Alexandria VA, with only 74,000miles.

On this one I...
- Replaced both front wheel bearings (with OEM GM replacements)
- Took to dealer to perform reprogram of TCC lockout
- Drain/Fill trans fluid 4 times, Honda DW-1
- Replaced front driver side lock switch
- Have a front end rattle caused by front brake caliper mounts. Ordered bushings to put in lower calipers
- Mobil 1 5-20 oil change with Fram Tough Guard filter

Wanted to say thanks to all the great info on this site. Looking forward to keeping these Vue's for quite some time, especially for a backup vehicle to a Shelby 350.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2816.jpg (134.2 KB, 18 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to coge4419's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help coge4419 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
coge4419 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2018, 07:36 PM   #2
oldmanina2005vu
oldmanina2005vu will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 2.2L
2008 SKY Red Line
Default Re: 2 new (to me) 2006 Vues - our journey

I have to tell you that most people would think you are a little nuts to put that much time and effort into a vehicle that is 12 years old and has absolutely no collector value. I applaud you for your plan to reduce your debt and not allowing yourself to be burdened with vanity debt by buying a new car. You have done the right thing and you will someday look back and that will be evident. Now take that money you saved and buy the most risky mutual fund you can find. BUT NO BITCOIN it is all smoke and mirrors. You will enjoy those Vues for a long time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oldmanina2005vu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oldmanina2005vu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oldmanina2005vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:27 AM   #3
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Not sure why you want to use that Fram filter. Even the Tough Guard is absolute junk. Take a look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imq39p0_YTA it's a little crude but VERY true and having had 2 Fram failures on my own vehicles I would proceed with caution using that junk on an expensive engine
Also IMO you could have done MUCH better vehicle wise with your settlement. Having owned a Vue not really a true "fan". Far better vehicles out there for what you spent.

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:30 AM   #4
coge4419

2006 VUE 3.5L
2006 VUE 3.5L

I did see there were plenty of Fram haters out there. I anticipated a response such as yours when I wrote about my oil change and filter. I read up more into the Fram opinions after I started seeing the comments a while back. I was never convinced anything different. The fact of the matter is, I have owned
2000 Chevrolet S10 2.2L - 210,000miles
1997 Pontiact Grand Prix 3.0L - 260,000miles
2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo 3.4L - 255,000miles

all with whatever cheap filter (primarily fram) was available. The Grand Prix and Monte Carlo both had leaky intake gaskets but ran flawlessly. I gave up the cars because i was tired of replacing peripheral items such as alternator, ac, injectors, etc etc. The engines, mechanically, ran as smooth as they could run. Oil change intervals 3,000-5,000miles
..........That's the only argument I need. For this engine I have stepped it up to a tough guard which holds a slightly higher filtration efficiency with a silicone anti-drainback valve.

Fiber endcaps seem to be the argument but they are impregnated with glue/epoxy into the filter, hence the fiber endcap is really there just as a glue holder as the hardened glue becomes the primary structure and barrier. Like taking epoxy into a fiberglass weave. Also using the filter upon its designed life, and designed oil type would be important. I respect your other opinions. The internet really helps give "that one guy" with issues a large canvas to make a statistically negligible issue become "statistically" significant.

I'm sure you are correct regarding better car for the price. There's always a "better" deal. However her car paid for both Vue's with Honda powertrains. In the Raleigh Durham NC area, if I had looked for a Honda CRV or Toyata RAV 4 or equivalent, i'd have paid twice as much for an equivalent vehicle. I love the Saturn Camo, and mismatched engine to chassis! This engine was made for a vehicle with 1,000 more pounds!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help coge4419 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-14-2018, 11:34 AM   #5
coge4419

2006 VUE 3.5L
2006 VUE 3.5L

.......I almost forgot..........

"Live like no one else now........so that later I can live and give like no one else"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #6
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Not necessarily a FRAM "hater" as you so mistakenly say. I actually have 2 FRAM filters on both my Toyotas right now. However they are the top of the line FRAM units (XG Synthetic IIRC they're called) and my studies have shown them to be about as well made as anything else so when they're what's available in the store I buy oil at I use them, otherwise I use Bosch, Purolator, WIX, Mobil 1, etc. but NEVER EVER the garbage orange can FRAM. Your logic is like the guy who smokes or drives like a total idiot with the theory "I'm still ok so why not?" and that theory is dumb at best. I quit turning wrenches professionally about 20 years ago. I have seen more than my share of orange can failures 2 of them on my own vehicles. No orange can will EVER touch my car again. Now go light up LOL

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:35 PM   #7
coge4419

2006 VUE 3.5L
2006 VUE 3.5L

Let me do one more clarification.

Goal of oil filter = prolong engine life, allow engine to achieve design life, all in effort to protect your hard earned dollars used during the purchase of a car.

This is an objective statement but i believe it makes the case: Having a car above 250K miles would be the equivalent of a 105yr old human.

If a 105yr old declared that he had been "lighting up" his entire life, one could surmise that "lighting up" has not detracted from his life.

hence therefore, if one has been primarily using cheap fram filters on a 250Kmile healthy running motor, one can argue that the filter has had no negative affect on engine life and the objective has been achieved

Most arguments are all referring to how crappy the construction is. I don't think there is any argument against how there are several, nay, MOST other filters that are better built, making them less susceptible to, say, running past their design life of which a cheap orange can is only 3-5,000miles. We all know several people who probably don't even know they need an oil change driving around.

If you were a mechanic, then you will also have a natural bias against these things. You see the worst of the worst, its why people come to you. My wife works in ICU here and preaches to me that I'm basically the walking dead without a flu shot, this is because the ONLY people she see's with the flu are on their death bed.

At any rate. Maybe i'll buy one of these world class filters and my world will be flipped upside down. You just never know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-15-2018, 02:02 AM   #8
Judogi
Judogi is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by coge4419 View Post
.......I almost forgot..........

"Live like no one else now........so that later I can live and give like no one else"
Congrats! We're on baby step #3 here, soon to be #4. Only one more month in the bank to go!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Judogi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Judogi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Judogi is offline   Reply With Quote