SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2018, 06:29 AM   #1
Srjs28
Srjs28 is on a distinguished road

Default 2.2 ecotec removal top or bottom 05 Vue

Getting ready to do an engine swap on my 05 Vue. Iíve done some research on this forum and in 2 different manuals but could not find a definitive answer on whether or not you can pull the motor from the top. Manual states it must come out with the trans attached out the bottom of vehicle. But Iíve also read that it has been pulled through the top. Anybody been successful in pulling the motor out of the top. Looking for instructions and pics

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Srjs28's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Srjs28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Srjs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2018, 08:15 AM   #2
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: 2.2 ecotec removal top or bottom 05 Vue

When I replaced my clutch, I looked at this subject carefully.

I finally came to the conclusion it would be about the same amount of effort either way, so I decided to drop the cradle..

In your case, It would be a little easier to drop the cradle with engine/tranny still on the cradle..

IMPORTANT - When you disconnect the wiring, mark the connectors on the Throttle body and the fuel injector connectors. These two connectors can be connected accidentally switched. If they are, you nuke the ECM..

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222576

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:12 AM   #3
Srjs28

Can it be dropped out the bottom with the use of floor jacks and jack stands? Will I have enough clearance to get the assembly out from underneath vehicle. As I do not have or have access to a car hoist.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Srjs28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2018, 09:33 AM   #4
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Can it be dropped out the bottom with the use of floor jacks and jack stands?
The entire assembly, probably not.

I'm thinking:

If you remove the hood, use a floor crane (hoist) to lift/support the engine / tranny / cradle assembly from the top. After everything is disconnected, the bolts are removed, you can lower the assembly to the ground.

Then use the floor crane to lift the front of the vehicle up so you can either pull the cradle out or push the car back.

When I did my clutch, I supported the engine/tranny from the top, separated it from the cradle, then lowered the cradle only (no engine/ tranny) with a floor jack. The engine stayed in the car and I separated the tranny out the bottom.

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:38 PM   #5
1badnotch
1badnotch is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I have an '06 Vue 2.2L,5 speed. I have pulled the motor out through the top a few times now. You need to remove the battery,battery box,airbox,unhook the wiring from motor/trans,remove intake and exhaust manifolds,alternator,unbolt AC compressor and rest on cradle,remove wheels,calipers,rotors,strut to spindle bolts,both CV axles,support vehicle with blocks on frame behind cradle,remove motor/trans mounts and pull motor and trans through top with engine hoist. I takes me about 3 hours by myself from start until motor/trans in on the floor.

2006 Vue,charcoal,gray int,2.2L,5 speed,Torrent leather wrapped steering wheel,painted door handles/mirrors,LSJ exhaust manifold,air box mods,de-bonged,aftermarket 17" wheels.

Last edited by 1badnotch; 02-13-2018 at 06:49 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1badnotch's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1badnotch reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1badnotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:22 PM   #6
oldmanina2005vu
oldmanina2005vu will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 2.2L
2008 SKY Red Line

I have done it both ways but in my opinion it is much easier to do by dropping the cradle. I remove the hood first thing so I have plenty of working room. I remove the cradle entirely with the steering and knuckles attached. The cradle is not very heavy and can be lowered one side at a time after removing the four cradle bolts and having the cradle supported by jack stands. You will have to remove the lower engine and transmission mount center bolts. Make sure you have 18mm sockets and wrenches on hand. Drain all fluids including transmission fluid first. The car will have to be elevated in the front to where you have at least 26" of clearance through the passenger side wheel well. The valve cover will need to be removed along with the exhaust manifold and intake manifold, all the wiring harnesses, radiator hoses, fuel lines, and vacuum lines will need to be disconnected. Both drive axles need to be pulled. Be darn sure you disconnect the battery before you remove any ECM, TCM, or ICM connections.

After I drop the cradle it is supported by the two end motor mounts. I then connect my engine hoist and lift the engine slightly to allow me to remove the three engine mount bolts from each end. I then lower the engine onto my garage floor. I use my engine hoist on the passenger side lifting eye and lift the engine slightly. You can then muscle the engine and transmission out the passenger side. Having some heavy cardboard or 1/4" plywood under it helps it slide. I am 69 years old and medium build and I have no problem doing this.

Word of warning. If you live in the snow belt or this SUV has you may find that the front cradle bolts spin in the pocket they sit in. If this happens then your only alternative is to open up the hole that you can look through to see the nut. The nut has a little flimsy (thanks GM) sheet metal sleeve that holds it in place. It will probably be rusted gone. If you open up the hole you will be able to get a 7/8" open end wrench on it to hold it. Plan on using lots of rust penetrant.

Reassemble in reverse order.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oldmanina2005vu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oldmanina2005vu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oldmanina2005vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:50 AM   #7
Srjs28

Thanks for all the info. I would like to drop it to the floor but Iím bony going to have the clearance to get the assembly out from underneath the vehicle

REWARD EXCELLENCE!