SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2018, 05:57 PM   #1
Doug C
Doug C will become famous soon enoughDoug C will become famous soon enough

2008 Outlook XE
Question Side-View Mirror Replacement

Anyone have the schematic and/or the replacement instructions for the side-view mirrors (driver-side).

I hope the process is not as "intense" as ambient temp sensor replacement/repositioning

HOW/Why ;
This a.m. backing down the backlane, to pack down the snow (about 12" accumulation in less than 24hrs.) when the car slipped off/got sucked over, just a second before passing a residential city provided garbage bin ---- WACK---- bent the mirror assembly on its swivel, to the front of the vehicle. Impact force cracking the left end of the mirror (1/3) and snapping the enclosure box off at least one of the interior studs. The servo still works so was able to position the mirror for side-viewing with say less than 2/3 undamaged portion of the mirror (for interim use).

Told a neighbour about it 20min. later while trying to dig his vehicle out. He stated likely $100 ... I laughed saying that would be nice, but considering a new jack cost $75 ..... I figured more likely at least $300 for a drivers side-view mirror assembly.

IN the process of looking for a new jack found a 'car recycler' in town that has a Outlook ! Might actually be the one a friend almost died in when someone hit him almost head-on (driver-side front/side ... but not sure if the mirror survived).

Thanks for your time.

later,
doug c

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Doug C's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Doug C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2018, 07:11 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: Side-View Mirror Replacement

Your neighbor is spot on.
Anywhere from $$42 to $107.
Heated glass on the more expensive one.

https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/20...im/mirror.html

I have used parts geek for 4 mirrors on 4 different vehicles within the last 5 years or so. Good quality replacement parts.

OR, ones like these on Ebay for $88 delivered:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Driver-...NaWhAs&vxp=mtr

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:47 PM   #3
Doug C

2008 Outlook XE
Attention Re: Side-View Mirror Replacement

Thanks for the response.

Using http://car-part.com/outside/multi.htm
found a local auto'recycler with a '08 outlook xe (silver ext.& black int.) still with the original side view mirror (powered/manual folding/heated/basic cover). $100cdn Called ahead to confirm, popped over the next day and watched the boss extract it. I 'helped' by pointing out the extra bolt hidden under the front flap (shown on 1A' video)

'UTube vid extracting drivers side view mirror;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI1V_KzQ-HA

Waiting now for warmer weather, probably release the two centre bolts, pop the (pointed) clips at the front, pop off the covers to release the mirror bolts
the power connector plug is fairly close to the upper front under the panel so think it should be as easy as the extraction ... just a little slower and more careful

Btw, dealerships $312cdn, and they have to bring up from Michigan ! They also asked if smooth or grainy,even when told the last 8 digits of the VIN !?

Will let ya know later, how this 'saved as-is' piece installs (and functions)

doug c

p.s. and the hours previous to my showing up the recycler had sold the engine (the vehicle was still in the shed on the forklift) ..... so they cut the whole front end off to ship, as is to eliminate time spent on disconnects and packing just the engine. the buyer paid approx. extra $1k for that option. They just cut thru everything just back from the dash', flipping the console and seats backwards. The metal pieces were not melted. so presume they used a few blades to cut it ... nice and tidy !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Doug C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-04-2018, 08:14 PM   #4
Doug C

2008 Outlook XE
Thumbs Up Done ! Re: Side-View Mirror Replacement

I was able to remove and replace the drivers side mirror in less than 2 hrs (mid-april).

I did have to unclip the whole panel (bayonet clips) but only disengaged the wiring for the mirror.

I think i broke one of these bayonet clips at the far side (below the lock stem), although another vid' states not a surprise considering age.

But with everything else snapping back into place and the bolts done up tight, NO issues with panel moving.

Replacement Working great !

thanks,
doug c

REWARD EXCELLENCE!