SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2018, 02:02 PM   #1
cindycated
cindycated is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Automatic Transmission "Service" or "Flush?"

Believe it or not, I'm JUST NOW due for my first one.

Here's what it says at the transmission place's website:
Quote:
A14 - What's the difference between transmission service and a flush?

A transmission service consists of a test drive, removing the transmission pan, draining the fluid, changing the filter and pan gasket, test driving again, and adjusting the linkage and bands if necessary.

A flush consists of attaching a machine to the transmission and removing virtually all of the fluid and replacing it with new fluid. Unless the pan is removed, the filter cannot be changed. At some facilities, the vehicle is not test driven or the linkage and bands adjusted.
I've read through the How-Tos in the Tech section, learned a lot from you guys and successfully fixed a bunch of stuff on my own (thanks to all of you), but decided that this isn't something I want to do myself.

Do I need all that extra work they do under "Service?" Does our car even have all that stuff? I haven't gotten an estimate yet, but I'm guessing it's more money.

Cindy
Astra XR5, Star Silver, Sunroof, Auto Trans, Sport Handling Pkg, Advanced Audio Pkg, Heated Seats

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cindycated's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cindycated reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cindycated is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2018, 10:25 AM   #2
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Automatic Transmission "Service" or "Flush?"

Donít flush. Gm had a bulletin against damage that can be caused by flushes. Drain and fill.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:56 AM   #3
AstraFasta
AstraFasta will become famous soon enoughAstraFasta will become famous soon enough

The auto transmission in the Astra is a good Asin unit but GM's engineers really screwed up the cooling.

I would consider adding a separate transmission cooler to prevent failure which mixes coolant & transmission oil. Failure is a very expensive fix. You can read about that in some posts here. . .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:16 AM   #4
cindycated
cindycated is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Thanks, guys. I've decided to just drain and fill myself, about every 20K miles (every other time I change oil and filter). Not the fancy bucket way - just undo the plug before I go to bed and refill in the morning (that's how I do my oil). Better than nothing, right? Fluid's pretty cheap and it'll probably get clean eventually.
Great tip on the separate cooler - I have seen that problem before. Maybe when I have a little more money saved up.

Has anybody tried Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle as a substitute for Type T-IV? I've seen really good reviews and it's easier to get than the T-IV. Says that they're fully compatible.

Cindy
Astra XR5, Star Silver, Sunroof, Auto Trans, Sport Handling Pkg, Advanced Audio Pkg, Heated Seats

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cindycated's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cindycated reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cindycated is offline   Reply With Quote